Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
IDdesertman

910-carat diamond from Africa

I read an article not long ago that said large diamonds might be more common than we think. They said that the large ones may be getting pulverized by common mining methods. They also cited this mine's large finds as an example.

• Like 1

OMG :th: instant retirement in style-John

19 hours ago, d_day said:

I read an article not long ago that said large diamonds might be more common than we think. They said that the large ones may be getting pulverized by common mining methods. They also cited this mine's large finds as an example.

That might be true but wouldn't you expect to see diamond remnants show up on the grease belts?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Morlock said:

That might be true but wouldn't you expect to see diamond remnants show up on the grease belts?

Yes, I would. I would also expect them to be faceted and sold as smaller diamonds. 

3 hours ago, d_day said:

Yes, I would. I would also expect them to be faceted and sold as smaller diamonds. 

If you look at natural diamonds, they all have smooth edges. I just have to think a large diamond that was shattered would have sharp edges like you would expect if you took a hammer to a solid glass cube. The edges would be sharp and they would recognize that after they came off the grease belts. imho 

Holy Moly, I am thinking this will be cut down into little guys for sales?

They'll study it for awhile then cleave it into smaller pieces. Then facet those. Expect a 50% to 70% loss during that process so they should wind up with around 300 to 450 carats of cut stones. The rest will be diamond dust which will be used as abrasives for polishing.