Nugget Shooter Forums
Rod

Nuggets and a broken ferrite ring

The Golden Fox and I hit the LSD area today. Sure were a lot of people out and about, prospectors, hunters, four wheelers, shooters, etc.. Love it...America! :thumbsupanim Finally broke the ferrite ring for the GPZ, knew it was just a matter of time :rolleyes: We picked up the broken pieces and with a little super glue and duct tape :idea: we’ll see if it still works. Beautiful day! Time to get ready to for a multi day camp out and hunt next week after the holiday weekend is behind us.

l91.jpg

k90.jpg

• Like 6

I have a couple in the shop Rod, nice gold...

• Like 1

Yes, very nice good.  I got a big time LSD skunk going.   Do you hunt the washes?

• Like 1

Nice fix on the ferrite ring. :25r30wi:

Nice nuggets too! Its still in that area.

Tom H.

• Like 1

Great nuggets-:yesss:-John

• Like 1

Dang I need to get out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kwah said:

Yes, very nice good.  I got a big time LSD skunk going.   Do you hunt the washes?

Good question kwah. Yes, I hunt the washes but certainly do not limit myself to them. I've found some amazing gold in the LSD on the hillsides and hilltops. If I could make a recommendation to you for the LSD or anywhere really, is to hunt everything. Even the little tribs that you might walk by and go, eh, that's just a little forming wash. Hunt it. Hunt where you have to make your way through the brush, crawl under trees, push your coil deep into the sticks, under the bush, move rocks, etc. Maybe you do all this already, I have no idea. Its a gold bearing area and every inch of it is pure opportunity :black_knight_standing:

On a side note, one thing on my wish list is for a elliptical coil for the GPZ,14 inch or smaller. The 14 round is fantastic and that size has always been my favorite but it's nice to have options for tight areas. 

Bill, thanks. We'll see how the old duct tape special works lol

Edited by Rod
Added note to Bill
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rod said:

Hunt where you have to make your way through the brush, crawl under trees, push your coil deep into the sticks, under the bush, move rocks, etc.

I appreciate your reply.  Looking back, my question was not phrased properly.  I should have asked if you limited your hunts to the washes.  Your response was great.  I use the same approach hunting everywhere, well almost.  I tend not to hunt the larger junk filled washes and at 78 I leave the crawling through brush to the younger guys.  Hell, I'm having trouble just getting off my knees after digging a target.  :olddude:

Edited by kwah
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, kwah said:

I appreciate your reply.  Looking back, my question was not phrased properly.  I should have asked if you limited your hunts to the washes.  Your response was great.  I use the same approach hunting everywhere, well almost.  I tend not to hunt the larger junk filled washes and at 78 I leave the crawling through brush to the younger guys.  Hell, I'm having trouble just getting off my knees after digging a target.  :olddude:

Gotcha. Good for you, I'm over 50 but no where near 78. I admire that you get out there and do it :thumbsupanim :black_knight_standing:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kwah said:

Kwah: Good for you that your still getting out and hunting gold :yesss:Keep at it and eventually you will look like my dad who is 84 now....and still hitting the washes :)

Do you get to the outings?

Tom H.

SAM_1762.JPG

• Like 5

I Admire that in your dad, Tom,....... I am 14-years younger than your dad,....(Opps, that will be 15-years next month--almost forgot) and I hope to be ..."OH" what-the-hell, I plan to be still hunting the hillsides and scrub at that age as well.  I may?? get a bit slower, but: "WHAT IS NOT USED WEHTHERS AWAY",  and I'm Not into wethering, if I can do something about it.  Gary

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TomH said:

Kwah: Good for you that your still getting out and hunting gold :yesss:Keep at it and eventually you will look like my dad who is 84 now....and still hitting the washes :)

Yes, I hope be out there at 84.  Good on your Dad.  I don't think my beard will be that nice:thumbsupanim

I haven't been to the outings yet.

Edited by kwah
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LowPoint said:

I Admire that in your dad, Tom,....... I am 14-years younger than your dad,....(Opps, that will be 15-years next month--almost forgot) and I hope to be ..."OH" what-the-hell, I plan to be still hunting the hillsides and scrub at that age as well.  I may?? get a bit slower, but: "WHAT IS NOT USED WEHTHERS AWAY",  and I'm Not into wethering, if I can do something about it.  Gary

Gary, I don't care how much you use it, it still withers away, but at a much slower pace.  :olddude:

Kwah, your beard might not be as long but I'll bet it will be just as grey as mine.  :old:

I'm gonna go out just as long as these pins hold me up.  You younger guys better get out and enjoy it now as things are rapidly changing with government infringing on the peoples rights to the outdoors.  Someday this will be gone, I've seen too much in my time.  

Old Tom

• Like 6

Rod; the word from minelab is that it is the quanity and type of ferrite that matters not the shape...I broke mine and put it in a container and it seemed to work.  HOWEVER, being the person I am I ordered a new one...

fred

I think you will find Ferrite is Ferrite for the purposes your using it for.  

I happen to know a guy who told me about a guy that heard a guy talking about being in  possession of some Ferrite  !!!

Using it to do ground Balancing it really make no difference what the shape is. 

Which One would you like ?   Provide a Address PM like and it's yours.

Ferrites.jpg

One observation that I made in the field that the time the ferrite ring broke was that the GPZ seemed to balance just fine with the largest piece (about ¾ of the ring). I have no idea if the size or shape actually affects anything, from what I’ve read and experienced, it’s doubtful :idunno: Always open to learning :idea: I’m no expert with how the science of the ferrite ring works with the electronics of the detector. I am a fair hand at finding nuggets tho :head:

• Like 1

I use Ferrite to fine tune the GB circuits of VLF detector builds.   Shape has no bearing on what it does unless your rotating it while testing.  It's just the target material I need.  Funny thing is a smaller peace of Ferrite works just as well as a larger . You just need to get it close enough for the detector to sense it.  Your only using it as a Reference Target Type.  Ferrite is vary close to what most hot ground would present as a background signal .    

Aside from the GPZ the only time I remember anyone mentioning or using ferrite for balance with detecting in the field is probably 10 or 15 years ago when someone was selling ferrite rings to place on coil cables. Can't remember if we tried it :89: but if we did, it did not stick so I'd have to say it proved to not give an edge on hunts, in the field :black_knight_standing:That's pretty cool that you can build your own vlf units and know what to use ferrite for in the build process :)

It's only used to get the GB control in the right ball park on the PCB.  Sorta a Center Line . Base Line Circuit Alignment.       Any GB settings you make for actual hunting have to be done on the actual ground your hunting, eaa!     I don't see how using one to set your ground balance out in the field would be of any use.   You need the machine Set for the Actual Ground your working.   the Ferrite Signal Line may or may not be your ticket.  Most Hot Rock are going to be around that range.  I guess they do it to tune out some.  I would rather dig a few hot rocks then be walking away from gold. 

Homefire;

I beg to disagree...Minelab has specifically stated that their ferrite is the one to use.

After paying 8000 bucks for the greatest gold hunter on the planet, why would I cheap out on a 15 dollar part...?

however, if any one else wants to go there, the way is clear

fred

7 hours ago, fredmason said:

Homefire;

I beg to disagree...Minelab has specifically stated that their ferrite is the one to use.

After paying 8000 bucks for the greatest gold hunter on the planet, why would I cheap out on a 15 dollar part...?

fred

Thanks Fred. Do you know where Minelab stated this? Do you have an online video or article/post that I could reference? Asking as I am hoping to understand the "why" behind Minelab stating their ferrite is the one to use.

• Like 1

LOL, 

10 hours ago, fredmason said:

Homefire;

fred

Fred, I have no interest in competing with Minelabs standing with Their Ferrite being the only one to use.    For my purposes of setting Ground balance on a VLF detector ANY Ferrite core will do the job.  I only need the Element Ferrite  (IRON) to be used as a Target. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_(iron)

How ever for those interested in Ferrite and Ferrite Cores you will find the only major differences in the types of cores is  the level of magnetic susceptibilities they offer.  This comes into play when using the cores at various frequencies and various types of applications.

All the cores in my photo came from EMI filters of odd types and transformers with the exception of the Bar Ferrites (Same Material)  used in Antenna applications. These cores provided protection from EMI and RFI  .  The filters are installed to prevent the Interference from escaping the Equipment they were installed in.  Not preventing it from getting in the equipment as some people think. 

https://www.mag-inc.com/getattachment/Products/Ferrite-Cores/Learn-More-about-Ferrite-Cores/Magnetics-Ferrite-Catalog-2017.pdf?lang=en-US

Edited by homefire
  • Like 2

I didn't see it like you was Fred.  All is good.   If you would like one of these Ferrite Rings to do your own comparison let me know.  PRO BONO  I'll pop one in the mail. 

Homefire. 

• Like 1

Thanks Fred. We might be interpreting things differently; however, the Minelab brochure you linked to (I already have a copy of) does not specifically state that Minelab sold ferrite rings are the ones to use. It does say "Quick-Trak with the ferrite placed on the ground is imperative in all modes." Maybe I'm splitting hairs here :idunno: but my goal is just seeking clarity and knowledge :) I don't see anything to that effect on Steve's forum either. I'll email Minelab. I know they have a vested interest in selling stuff but I also believe they are honest enough to be forthright about these things :) Appreciate you and your thoughts :thumbsupanim 

• Like 2