Nugget Shooter Forums
AzNuggetBob

How to look for and find Gold

So what would you say about the minerals in this gold and quartz Specimen I found a few years back?  I know the quartz but the others I'm not sure of. I especially would like to know what the red mineral is that is holding the wire gold togehter> 

000_2919.JPG

100_9744.JPG

100_9745.JPG

100_9746.JPG

• Like 2

fish that's a great specimen. My guess of the red (mineral) based on the photos (the red could be better photographed in daylight, its not the best photo imho) I'll assume a reddish hematite or alteration of the same. Will be interesting to read what others think.

• Like 1

fishing 8046

That is a beauty of a speci.

But without doing some testing on it, Its hard to say. The red could be iron staining but it could also be several other minerals. difficult to say from a photo without doing chemical or spectrographic analysis of it.
Here is one I had done on a rock I suspected had gold in it.
as you can see it turned out it had more silver in it than anything else.

spec 001.JPG
AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

Under this thread I ask , from someone who has yet looked for the gold stuff, but will start this year in my local streams, well next state over, Vermont which is close, and I think I ask this for a lot of newbies, How much longer will we, us prospectors, (I include myself even though I haven't started, but I have the bug) be able to keep finding gold? Its it a resource that keeps on giving?  I know this sounds like a , I don't want to call myself stupid so I'll say, unusual question. I ask this of you folks who know what their doing..   Cooper

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cooper said:

Under this thread I ask , from someone who has yet looked for the gold stuff, but will start this year in my local streams, well next state over, Vermont which is close, and I think I ask this for a lot of newbies, How much longer will we, us prospectors, (I include myself even though I haven't started, but I have the bug) be able to keep finding gold? Its it a resource that keeps on giving?  I know this sounds like a , I don't want to call myself stupid so I'll say, unusual question. I ask this of you folks who know what their doing..   Cooper

It all depends, if the source has completely eroded out of the host rock and all of it has been mined/found, then there will be no more in that spot in our lifetime if ever, but if the source is still there and hasn't been completely eroded then it will continue doing so ableit slowly over time so yes the gold can be replenished to a degree or not if no longer in the host rocks and surrounding area of erosion or upstream.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

It all depends, if the source has completely eroded out of the host rock and all of it has been mined/found, then there will be no more in that spot in our lifetime if ever, but if the source is still there and hasn't been completely eroded then it will continue doing so ableit slowly over time so yes the gold can be replenished to a degree or not if no longer in the host rocks and surrounding area of erosion or upstream.

Could you guys do me a favor and stop picking up all that gold for awhile until I get out there.... thanks, Coop.:4chsmu1:

• Haha 2

IMO If a creek gets replenished, year after year, then the surrounding soil should be looked at real good. 

Last week, I tested a creek on my claim I thought had been replenishing in the overburden, but came back with not a speck of gold.  With that sample, turns out the replenishment probably came from my tailings pile, so that should have had none.  I usually can dry wash that creek's overburden and get a few specks of gold.  The overburden is nothing worth going after, but the hard-pack yields better.  I think the gold on this claim is a secondary source from the old gravels on the claim.

Not sure where you are in NY, but if you can get to the Swift River in Maine, it has some gold.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chrisski said:

IMO If a creek gets replenished, year after year, then the surrounding soil should be looked at real good. 

Last week, I tested a creek on my claim I thought had been replenishing in the overburden, but came back with not a speck of gold.  With that sample, turns out the replenishment probably came from my tailings pile, so that should have had none.  I usually can dry wash that creek's overburden and get a few specks of gold.  The overburden is nothing worth going after, but the hard-pack yields better.  I think the gold on this claim is a secondary source from the old gravels on the claim.

Not sure where you are in NY, but if you can get to the Swift River in Maine, it has some gold.

chrisski
New gold washing into creeks and washes takes lots time and or a lot of water to move it. sometimes heavy short term weathering removes more top soil (flooding) and makes it more detectable since it removes topsoil since it was last hunted. some weathering washes in more top soil (slow rains). sometimes it removes it depending on several factors, grade, slow or hard rainfall etc.

And I agree abut the surrounding soil.
AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 7:00 PM, fishing8046 said:

So what would you say about the minerals in this gold and quartz Specimen I found a few years back?  I know the quartz but the others I'm not sure of. I especially would like to know what the red mineral is that is holding the wire gold togehter> 

000_2919.JPG

100_9744.JPG

100_9745.JPG

100_9746.JPG

fishing8046       I would have to agree with Rod on this. the red/brown in your speci appears to be Hematite. and hematite is commonly associated with gold. AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chrisski said:

Good info, Thanks.

I'm in north eastern NY, have been doing research and not far from me are a few areas in VT that have shown some color, as for Maine, it's doable, about 4 hrs, the wife and I vaca there at times but, usually the South Maine coast, I think north east Maine would have to be a trip I do myself.

I am in Denver (doing a lot of research about that area) for a week early June, all free time, so this thread is a great learning tool.

19 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

New gold washing into creeks and washes takes lots time and or a lot of water to move it. sometimes heavy short term weathering removes more top soil (flooding) and makes it more detectable since it removes topsoil since it was last hunted. some weathering washes in more top soil (slow rains). sometimes it removes it depending on several factors, grade, slow or hard rainfall etc.

The area I'm looking at is the source of a gold bearing creek and the tertiary gravels surrounding it I suspect to have the same amount of gold from sampling I've done.  The gravels are not that deep, 2' to 3' over bedrock and I have sampled about 12' out from this area.  Could be wishful thinking on my part, but the gravel in this area seem to have the gold relatively evenly distributed surface to bedrock.  There was a term I read that I forget that describes soil like this.  Anyway, falls well short of the 1 gram per ton I need to go after it to break even.

14 hours ago, Cooper said:

I am in Denver (doing a lot of research about that area) for a week early June, all free time, so this thread is a great learning tool.

I hope you can get some time to go out and do that.  I've had several business trips I was on by gold bearing places that I'd hope to break away and do some prospecting, but only made it once out of about a dozen chances I had.  My only regret is not finding time on the other 11 trips.

2 hours ago, chrisski said:

The area I'm looking at is the source of a gold bearing creek and the tertiary gravels surrounding it I suspect to have the same amount of gold from sampling I've done.  The gravels are not that deep, 2' to 3' over bedrock and I have sampled about 12' out from this area.  Could be wishful thinking on my part, but the gravel in this area seem to have the gold relatively evenly distributed surface to bedrock.  There was a term I read that I forget that describes soil like this.  Anyway, falls well short of the 1 gram per ton I need to go after it to break even.

chrisski
You cant get an average oz.PT without testing all the way to bedrock in several places. (grid)The gold could be layered (paystreaks). the gold amount could differ drastically at different levels based on flooding events from the past. some areas get a lot more rainfall than others. Ive dredged deeper creeks up in Cali that had little gold at bedrock but decent gold at shallower levels along the sides of the benches.Why? one reason is its re-concentrated from the benches and banks. the old timers worked many of the creeks and rivers to bedrock but not always the banks. the gold along the banks is new gold coming into the creek and there hasn't been sufficient flooding to concentrate gold at or down to bedrock in that area in the last 150 years. has the area your referring to been worked? is it fine smooth flat gold or chunky? does the gold still contain host rock,quartz etc. are you going to hunt it,drywash it, or wet wash it? is water available.These are just some of the things you need to look at before you should make a final assessment of any mining property.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 3

A little more info that has worked well for me over the years. I have done very well using American made metal detectors. arguably Minelab metal detectors are the best. Pulse induction are the best. but regardless of the detector I'm swinging it seems that research and some knowledge of gold geology wins over all.light weight keeps me hunting longer and the longer I hunt with more information seems to produce the most gold.

I say hunt light,use a lighter or even hip mounted machine and hunt all day long,until recently Minelab PI's have been a bit on the heavy side.sometimes it takes me hours to track the source of the gold especially if its not in an area that's been worked by the old timers.once you learn how to read the old timers diggings it will point you to the source. if you have any doubts about the detector your using as far depth in an area you've hunted without finding any gold based on the indicators your seeing. come back with the big guns later. Always worked for me and I'm not killing my arm and my drive with a heavy machine everywhere I go.

Dont let your pick get rusty.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 5

Indeed true Bob and these days I will often use the lighter detector for exploration work and return with what is needed to finish the job when I find a new ares.