Nugget Shooter Forums
Callieco

Can anyone give me some ideas of what this could be?

This is a spikey rock. It is pale purple with a white frost that makes the whole thing sparkle. Underneath there is a red/brown spot surrounded by shinney grey/brown crystal.

20180111_160251.jpg

20180111_160151.jpg

First looks to be Amethyst and the second not sure. Someone will help soon I think and I am into gold more that other minerals and am wrong sometimes :idunno: 

It's a weird one. Its line no amethyst iv ever seen but it does appear to have some quartz mixed in the bottom. Thanks for replying though.

I'd say amethyst tipped quartz. I know irradiation and trace elements are two of the reasons for the purple color.

Not sure what you have in the second picture. Probably iron stained quartz. Hard to tell from the picture.

I agree with amethyst as the only other purple looking stone is charoite and it is from Russia.

4 hours ago, pondmn said:

I agree with amethyst as the only other purple looking stone is charoite and it is from Russia.

You forget about fluorite, lepidolite, purpurite, and sugilite?

9 minutes ago, d_day said:

You forget about fluorite, lepidolite, purpurite, and sugilite?

I'm not the best when it comes to IDing minerals but I also came across this searching for purple minerals as well...Sogdianite, but I haven't seen anything that even looks close to what is posted above by Callieco other than amethyst.

It steaks white  on the bottom and top but that only rules out purpurite:idunno: its definatly not as soft as lepidolite. I can't find any images of any other rocks looking like this but the way it is formed makes me agree, it most closley matches amethyst with like a dusting of quartz.

Well amethyst is quartz with other minerals mixed in to produce the purple color and most has regular quartz along with it.

13 hours ago, Callieco said:

It steaks white  on the bottom and top but that only rules out purpurite:idunno: its definatly not as soft as lepidolite. I can't find any images of any other rocks looking like this but the way it is formed makes me agree, it most closley matches amethyst with like a dusting of quartz.

If you're not a rockhound, you'd be surprised at the different types and varieties of amethyst as well as many other species.

13 hours ago, Callieco said:

Dude , your pictures are horrible. Take pictures of the specimen under indirect sunlight. Everyone here can only guess at this point.....it likely going to be quartz, fluorite or both.

You can even add some location info......

Edited by adam
  • Like 1