Nugget Shooter Forums
Morlock

Do Better Headphones Mean More Gold?

I saw this article and was wondering if these would produce more gold then ones we currently use.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hypebeast.com/2018/1/sennheiser-hd-820-headphones-ces-2018%3famp=1#ampshare=https://hypebeast.com/2018/1/sennheiser-hd-820-headphones-ces-2018

Not that I'm going to buy a pair or even thinking about buying them. Just wanted to start a conversation on headphones since we all know quality headphones are a must. But would anything like these pay for themselves by producing more then the Sunrays, Grey Ghosts, Nugget Busters, Black Widows, etc. Never mind the field worthiness. I'm just talking about the sound quality of these headphones versus the ones we use in the field.

Curious question and one that will generate many a reply as the what folks like, use, and why. Me? I agree the price is insane for those they show in your link and I have tried many brands and even some pricy Bose noise canceling type and always go back the Koss UR-30 made for Minelab detectors. Kevin is always giving me crap about looking like Princess Laya from Star Wars, but for my hearing as well as not getting my head squeezed like with Nugget Busters I always come back to the UR-30 (100 ohm) and I am better able to hear signals  (I have hearing loss like many here) The higher impedance headphones seem to make the signal harder for me and many of the aftermarket for nugget shooting are 150 ohm or more.

Just my individual preference is Koss.... 

• Like 2

Love my SunRays!! They take a beaten and keep on  beeping. Never tried Koss, but now you got me curious. Had the Nuggetbusters , Grey Ghosts.....all seemed fine and capable. I personally would never spend that kind of money on headphones. 

Edited by Relichunter2016
  • Like 1

Great topic Morlock. IMHO (perspective) “better” in this context is subjective. What is better or best for one person may not hold true for the next. As an example, I have a friend who wears Rattlers, the one headphone setup, because he prefers to hear what is around him as he hunts. Having one ear to hunt and one ear to hear gives him peace of mind. Peace of mind in turn allows him to focus and the result of that focus is gold. He’s a very successful detectorist. 

Over the years, I’ve met detectorists with TMJ type issues who prefer low cost headphones or ear buds because some of the higher end ones like Black Widows cause them pain due to the styling and fit. Again, being out of pain allows these folks to focus on the hunt and find gold.

Like Bill, I prefer Koss and have tried Black Windows, Grey Ghosts, Jimmy Sierra, Rattlers, earbuds, you name it, mostly borrowed from friends. The Koss are just my preference for comfort, durability, and fit. Did I find more gold using the other brands? No. The WM12 external speaker on the GPZ has proven to be the best external speaker setup that I’ve used and it’s produced some great gold for myself and others. It has been very nice on humid days where the headphones were just a drag and when crawling on my hands and knees through thick brush and under trees. The benefit of using the external speaker has allowed me to not get tangled up in the sticks. The sound quality of the speaker vs is the headphones seems to be apparent but both are adequate. 

Sound quality is important but it’s just part of the whole equation of success. The same holds true for the unit, the detectorist, and the location. Each one of these is really just a part of the whole. So to your original point: “But would anything like these pay for themselves by producing more then the Sunrays, Grey Ghosts, Nugget Busters, Black Widows, etc.” in some cases, yes and in some cases no. Life’s not a one size fits all thing, and not everyone will benefit from the sound quality difference between the brands, sometimes another factor is more important to the individual’s success. 

In looking at many of the brands one observation that I’ve made is several of them are essentially the same base unit with branded logos, stickers, etc. Kind of a common theme in manufacturing. That's a whole different rabbit hole to go down :inocent:

One thing I’ve wondered about with these kinds of threads is how are people measuring or perceiving “sound quality”? :head: There are established methods to measure sound quality like Total Harmonic Distortion, Signal to Noise Ratio, etc. but I don’t know of one dirt digger who goes that far and even if someone did, again, that benchmark alone would only be one ingredient in the recipe for someone’s success. $2,400 will cover gas to Alaska and food for a couple of summer months :yesss: Well, that was long winded, clearly, more coffee is in order to make thoughts more concise :4chsmu1:

• Like 4

When prospecting, the primary virtue of quality headphones is the user's enhanced ability to hear faint signals, which can be indicative of small or deep targets. That being the case, higher decibel output headphones CAN find more gold than lower decibel headphones, or using no headphones at all. What we are seeking here is enhanced volume, not "pristine clarity and reduced studio noise" like the $2400.00 ones advertised. Thus, best value for the buck? Koss UR-29's and UR-30's. By far. Personally, the UR-29's fit me better then the bulkier 30's, and have a smaller earmuff profile, yet have the performance. Thus, Bill, come to my booth at Tucson and try on a pair and see if they fit you better. Forget what Kevin says. :) 

• Haha 1

As with any Detector situation.   Head Phone will allow you to hear the Faint and otherwise indistinguishable .  The slightest Breeze blowing across the ear holes can mess me up.   

• Like 1

for the price of them they better dig the target out of the ground for you also

I've considered buying high quality 300 ohm or higher drivers and retrofitting them to my existing headphones and then running an amplifier to really blow my eardrums out!

I think the detector/headphone/operator combination makes a difference as well. I have personally heard the difference between my Grey Ghost NDT's and the Maxi-phone II's using a GB2, and two GB's had the same result. The result was for the better with the Maxi-phones,while the majority of the signal sounded exactly the same it was the tail end of the signal that sounded different. For me and the other detectorist I was with, we both could more "easily" tell the difference between a hotrock and lead/gold with the JImmys. Some might not be able to tell the difference because they are not yet capable of understanding all the signals of the GB2 and headphones wouldnt matter as much. Now running the Monster and learning its many more signals then the GB2 makes me want to try many different headphones with it, until I find the one that best sings the song of the Monster. Maybe my daughters pink Wal-Mart headphones will do it!

Here is a link to some more serious audiophile headphones that might make the difference, 300 ohm so compatible for detectors we use. $286, more in the realm of realistic for detecting but still crazy expensive for headphones. If your spending $9k on a GPZ why not spend $300 on headphones?

Sennheiser HD 600

• Like 1

This is a post I made a while back the is still kicking around a bit.

"So the original set of Eagle R Headphones for my Gold Bug 2 are starting to short out or go silent when you move the wire to the headset or move for that matter. It is starting to get to be a real pain but. I know don't pull the wire....if your running and I don't hear the threshold I have to put it over my pick or some metal object to get to hear the threshold again. Last time out I turned up the threshold and could actually hear very small targets breaking the threshold, mostly buckshot but one of which was gold. It was not until I had them exposed or on the coil that they were indefinable. It was so sensitive. That's the problem. Would you take the lesson as a new way of reading the detectors sounds of your machine or replace the headphones?if so what Head Phones would you recommend for my Gold Bug 2 This may just be a revelation to the actual nuances of the Gold bug 2 but a long time coming makes me ask the question Thanks for any help!"

I went on to buy a pair of Nugget busters and I really like them. I don't believe the headphones make a huge difference when searching for a change in tone. Having a broken noisy set of headphones allowed me to hear the difference in tones because they were always making noise. The breaking of the threshold which I think at least for me is the key to finding the gold. That old broken noisy set of headphones changed the way I use my detector. I want a buzz in my ear so that I can hear it change and hopefully recognize the difference. 

1 hour ago, fishing8046 said:

This is a post I made a while back the is still kicking around a bit.

"So the original set of Eagle R Headphones for my Gold Bug 2 are starting to short out or go silent when you move the wire to the headset or move for that matter. It is starting to get to be a real pain but. I know don't pull the wire....if your running and I don't hear the threshold I have to put it over my pick or some metal object to get to hear the threshold again. Last time out I turned up the threshold and could actually hear very small targets breaking the threshold, mostly buckshot but one of which was gold. It was not until I had them exposed or on the coil that they were indefinable. It was so sensitive. That's the problem. Would you take the lesson as a new way of reading the detectors sounds of your machine or replace the headphones?if so what Head Phones would you recommend for my Gold Bug 2 This may just be a revelation to the actual nuances of the Gold bug 2 but a long time coming makes me ask the question Thanks for any help!"

I went on to buy a pair of Nugget busters and I really like them. I don't believe the headphones make a huge difference when searching for a change in tone. Having a broken noisy set of headphones allowed me to hear the difference in tones because they were always making noise. The breaking of the threshold which I think at least for me is the key to finding the gold. That old broken noisy set of headphones changed the way I use my detector. I want a buzz in my ear so that I can hear it change and hopefully recognize the difference. 

If your Kick Butt Head phone have funky Wire,    FIX THEM !   Dang it's just a bit of wire.  LOL

• Confused 1

Yup, my headphones were going intermittent on me and it was just a broken wire connected to the speaker, its an easy fix..... a little dab of solder and your back beepin. 

The future of headphones for our detectors may be much like this:

The technology relies on a smartphone app that captures a picture of each of your ears, so that it can essentially contour map your outer ear. Once you’ve digitized your ears, you take a photo of your face so the app can map the bone structure of your head for the same reason.

super x-fi appCreative

Creative's app contour-maps your ears and face to analyze how your ears hear sound.

The software maps hundreds of anthropological features with high precision. An AI engine then synthesizes your features with both the dynamics of the headphones you indicate you’re using 

https://www.techhive.com/article/3246194/ces/creative-super-x-fi-headphone-audio-holography.html 

Mitchel

To the most parts I've decided Cheap Dollar Store Ear Buds to the trick for me.   My ears have gone sorta south over the years and I like to hear what's going on around me too.  If the wind is ugly I don the head phones.  

The cost of headphones has nothing to do with their ability to help you detect gold.  It depends on how the headphones sound to you.  I can't use headphones made for music because they are usually full of bass.  I can't hear low sounds.  I need my headphones to sound a little tinny.

So I think headphones are very much a personal choice which depends on what sounds good to you.  That might be a very expensive pair of headphones, or a relatively inexpensive pair.

I do think that whatever headphones you decide on, the ones you really like the sound of, you should use a booster.  An amplifier has been shown time and time again to help you find more gold because it amplifies subtle targets.  I absolutely can not work without an amplifier.

Doc

• Like 5