Nugget Shooter Forums
Mxt Sniper

New 2018 F150 V6 3.0L Diesel!!

Posted (edited)

I been watching for this exact vehicle since 2005, when I finally gave up on dealer promises and bought my 2006 Tacoma 4x4, this new Ford will be on lots by spring, I bet this rig is gonna be hard to find to buy on lots for a long time it should be very popular. I will watch the reviews awhile, but probably will buy one. This is competition for the chev colorado diesel and dodge eco 1500 diesel, with 440 ft lbs torque it should be a good one. I want a Supercab XLT 4x4 6.5 ft bed. Perfect for prospecting and camping.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1114627_under-pressure-ford-f-150-diesel-aims-for-big-towers-bigger-cruising-distances

Edited by Mxt Sniper
added link for F150 info.

I'm not a Ford enthusiast, I'm a Chevy/GMC and recently a Toyota man, I have a 4thGen 4Runnner which is one of if not the best vehicle I have ever owned, I do wish that Toyota would offer a diesel in the USA for the 4Runner and Tacoma like they do elsewhere in the world, albeit they're call the Prado and Hi-Lux.

There has been talk of a diesel Tacoma for the USA in the future, but I haven't heard nothing but rumors and speculation so far, it seems that most say that Toyota doesn't think a diesel would sell well in the USA.

I also am a Toyota long time fan, am on my 4th tacoma 4x4 at 170K now, but the newest generation Tacoma is just not the best for towing, 3.5L lexus car engine, with teething troubles, transmission constant shifting, vibrations, etc. has driven me away from a new Tacoma, the Tundra is a bit thirsty on gas, so I been looking at F150's in different configurations, the 5.0L 2018 model has new tech, spray in cylinder liners, which makes me nervous for long term ownership. I think Ford is switching their V6 twin turbos to this spray in cylinder liners as well instead of the tried and true steel liner inserts. So the 2017 F150 5.0 V8 was the last of the steel cyl liner aluminum blocks. The new 3.0L diesel has a cast iron block and aluminum heads  so is pretty standard in that respect, only neg I have come across is it has a rubber timing belt, probably kevlar, rather than chain timing, I don't think the rubber timing belt is much of  an issue. One of my other negs about most modern truck mfgrs is they went back to the 1950's cartridge insert oil filters, talk about regressing. I remember changing those darn things, was always a mess. To top it off they now use a plastic outside cannister element cover. So the search goes on for a new truck eventually.

They are bringing the Ranger back too.

I have an F250 diesel and MPG is not much better.  15 MPG highway 10 MPG towing the travel trailer.  When towing the travel trailer, I do not notice the trailer behind the truck.

I read online  where there is a possibility Toyota will be putting the 5.0L Cummins turbo diesel  in the Tundra, that could be a good combination. I know Nissan is using that engine for their Titan XD.

Next yr chevy has a stright 6 cylinder diesel comming .

Ford Ranger will have a 2.3 turbo 300 hp four banger .

Next 2-3 years will awesome for trucks and hybrids .

Edited by H-2 Charlie
  • Like 2

Chevy full size has a 4 banger that cuts down to 2  cylinders , imagine that a 2-cylinder full-size Silverado

Chevy already seems like they are only running on 2 cylinders. Lol, sorry im a Ford feller.

• Like 3

Just go to any chevrolet forums and read about the cylinder deactivation setup, lot of unhappy campers out there. Excessive oil consumption, fouled plugs, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mxt Sniper said:

Just go to any chevrolet forums and read about the cylinder deactivation setup, lot of unhappy campers out there. Excessive oil consumption, fouled plugs, etc.

I've got a customers 2013 GMC Yukon here right now for that very thing. AFM(active fuel management) lifters collapse due to oil starvation in the supply from the VLOM. Poor design that has a limited life span and is a huge repair bill for most people. If someone gave me a brand new GM truck...I would promptly sell it and buy something else.

• Like 2

I'll tell ya Dave. I had a nugget hunting buddy that had a 1997-8 full size pickup new at the time. and after putting in two new oil pumps he sold it. leaked like a sieve. had an o-ring issue, but it always had clean oil in it! we used to kid hid him, how many miles do you get to the quart? on a trip down to mexico we stopped in a gas station. he said I think I'll filler up with oil and put in some gas too. used to like em but That's when I lost faith in GMC's. dont know about the newer ones?.
  AzNuggetBob

I'm not sure if they are still using AFM or not, but if it had it...I would walk away.  You can perform an AFM delete using some LS parts, lifters, cam, etc...but it requires a programming change to the computer as well. All that adds up to a lot of money.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My '15 Camaro has that 'Active Fuel Management' (AFM) on it (auto trans.)  It drops it down to 4cylinders when it's up to speed.  I didn't buy a v8 to run w/4cyl.  I bought a chip (AFM delete by Range - $100)  that you plug in under the dash so when you're above 5mph it deactivates the AFM.   v8 mode all the time :thumbsupanim  Had it on since new with no issues what-so-ever.

About 2wks ago I picked up a 3rd Gen Toyota 4runner (1997) from the original owner. Got it just for my detecting/prospecting trips.   It's very clean and has the E-locker in the rear diff. So far I've added a WeatherTech bug shield and floor liners.  Changed the spark plugs, wires and boots, installed new fuel filter and going to do front & rear diff oil -n- T-case oil tomorrow.  Can't wait to get it out in the hills and see how she does.

Edited by NvAuMiner
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NvAuMiner said:

My '15 Camaro has that 'Active Fuel Management' (AFM) on it (auto trans.)  It drops it down to 4cylinders when it's up to speed.  I didn't buy a v8 to run w/4cyl.  I bought a chip (AFM delete by Range - $100)  that you plug in under the dash so when you're above 5mph it deactivates the AFM.   v8 mode all the time :thumbsupanim  Had it on since new with no issues what-so-ever.

About 2wks ago I picked up a 3rd Gen Toyota 4runner (1997) from the original owner. Got it just for my detecting/prospecting trips.   It's very clean and has the E-locker in the rear diff. So far I've added a WeatherTech bug shield and floor liners.  Changed the spark plugs, wires and boots, installed new fuel filter and going to do front & rear diff oil -n- T-case oil tomorrow.  Can't wait to get it out in the hills and see how she does.

I have 2004 4Runner, my has a V8, the 4th Gens were the only ones that you could get a V8 in, great trucks, hope you enjoy yours!!

• Like 1