Nugget Shooter Forums
Mxt Sniper

New 2018 F150 V6 3.0L Diesel!!

I been watching for this exact vehicle since 2005, when I finally gave up on dealer promises and bought my 2006 Tacoma 4x4, this new Ford will be on lots by spring, I bet this rig is gonna be hard to find to buy on lots for a long time it should be very popular. I will watch the reviews awhile, but probably will buy one. This is competition for the chev colorado diesel and dodge eco 1500 diesel, with 440 ft lbs torque it should be a good one. I want a Supercab XLT 4x4 6.5 ft bed. Perfect for prospecting and camping.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1114627_under-pressure-ford-f-150-diesel-aims-for-big-towers-bigger-cruising-distances

Edited by Mxt Sniper
added link for F150 info.

I'm not a Ford enthusiast, I'm a Chevy/GMC and recently a Toyota man, I have a 4thGen 4Runnner which is one of if not the best vehicle I have ever owned, I do wish that Toyota would offer a diesel in the USA for the 4Runner and Tacoma like they do elsewhere in the world, albeit they're call the Prado and Hi-Lux.

There has been talk of a diesel Tacoma for the USA in the future, but I haven't heard nothing but rumors and speculation so far, it seems that most say that Toyota doesn't think a diesel would sell well in the USA.

I also am a Toyota long time fan, am on my 4th tacoma 4x4 at 170K now, but the newest generation Tacoma is just not the best for towing, 3.5L lexus car engine, with teething troubles, transmission constant shifting, vibrations, etc. has driven me away from a new Tacoma, the Tundra is a bit thirsty on gas, so I been looking at F150's in different configurations, the 5.0L 2018 model has new tech, spray in cylinder liners, which makes me nervous for long term ownership. I think Ford is switching their V6 twin turbos to this spray in cylinder liners as well instead of the tried and true steel liner inserts. So the 2017 F150 5.0 V8 was the last of the steel cyl liner aluminum blocks. The new 3.0L diesel has a cast iron block and aluminum heads  so is pretty standard in that respect, only neg I have come across is it has a rubber timing belt, probably kevlar, rather than chain timing, I don't think the rubber timing belt is much of  an issue. One of my other negs about most modern truck mfgrs is they went back to the 1950's cartridge insert oil filters, talk about regressing. I remember changing those darn things, was always a mess. To top it off they now use a plastic outside cannister element cover. So the search goes on for a new truck eventually.

43 minutes ago, grubstake said:

They are bringing the Ranger back too.

Sadly, only in gas....

On 1/17/2018 at 10:31 AM, Mxt Sniper said:

the Tundra is a bit thirsty on gas

... a bit???? You're not kidding... my Tundra with 4.7litre gets 13mpg on the highway if I'm lucky and if towing my travel trailer, lucky to see 9.5

I have an F250 diesel and MPG is not much better.  15 MPG highway 10 MPG towing the travel trailer.  When towing the travel trailer, I do not notice the trailer behind the truck.

5 hours ago, chrisski said:

I have an F250 diesel and MPG is not much better.  15 MPG highway 10 MPG towing the travel trailer.  When towing the travel trailer, I do not notice the trailer behind the truck.

I notice the trailer.... every time I fill up the tank. :grr01: