Nugget Shooter Forums

Under what, if any, conditions would a Whites Gold Master, or any VLF for that matter, be a better choice than a Minelab sensitivity enhanced GPX 4500?

Exposed bedrock & hardrock specimens

Edited by adam
  • Like 7

A place where the gold is generally found as small, 'chunky' dinks that weigh in the .1g range or less, and are more rounded than flat.  Similar to birdshot.

....and like Adam said, shallow ground.

There is no 'best' detector.  Only the one that suits the area you are detecting the best.

Good Luck !!

Edited by LukeJ
added some stuff
  • Like 4

An SD2100 with a 14E Nuggetfinder coil moved extremely slowly from different angles will find as small as one grain ... Done it many times ... The 4500 can do the same thing ... Gold that small gets down to operator generally more than machine! ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

Thank you kindly for the replies guys. Appreciate it.

The Right  VLF would be better finding the Little Crumbs.   

So the Gold Master is not the Right VLF for it in your opinion?

Are you talking about the GMT?  Or the Old Gold Master ?   The GMT is a top of the line Gold Machine.  I have one. 

Edited by homefire

The Gold Master was and still is one of the best gold detectors out there. Is it "old" technology, yes it is. But i know guys that are still using one today. It just struggles finding that fly poo size gold. Thats where the GB2 comes in. The new technology like the Monster, is supposed to be good also, but i haven't tried one or been around one. If you have a Gold Master and the budget isnt open for a different machine or if you have the chance to buy one for a good price, by all means use it. Learn it and it will find gold. The PI detectors now a days teamed up with the new style coils are quite amazing on small sub gram gold. But once again, what the PI dont find, your VLF most likely will. If its in the budget to have one of each then thats a good route to go. Biggest thing is learning the machine.  Just my thoughts. 

Dan

• Like 3

I sold my GMT and held onto my GoldMaster V/sat.   I'm not saying that one is necessarily better than the other.  Except that I found the display on the GMT to be distracting and not very helpful.   I sold the GMT after not ever finding any gold with it.  But, I can also say, I was still very green when it came to finding gold at that time.  Once I learned how to find gold, I went back to my V/sat and began to find gold with it.  Now, I take the V/sat out from time to time, and for the novelty of it, I find a few dinks in places I've been over with the Minelabs.  Just to 'switch gears' and change it up.  :head:

I have little trouble finding 'fly poop' sized gold with the V/sat.  If you are ground balanced properly and manage to get the coil over one, it will be a fairly obvious change in the threshold.  Maybe the Gold Bug 2 can find gold even smaller....  But at what point do you put down the detector and pick up a pan?

Luke

20170816_121831.jpg

20171228_172758.jpg

• Like 5

That small double D on my Goldmaster II will find the really small pieces...after that I might as well get out my drywasher if I really want the fly poo. I can shovel faster than isolate little targets in the scoop. :4chsmu1:

• Like 2

What i have is the GM V-sat with 2) 6"x10" coils. What i want is a good PI machine to go with it.  Would like a Minelab but would settle for a Whites TDI SL. I had a TDI but foolishly sold it. Now i am kicking myself for it.

• Like 1

Reb, this an often-debated subject. Most really serious nuggetshooters possess BOTH a good VLF and a PI, and use the "best" one where the particular circumstances permit enhanced performance. To wit: comparing my GMT to my SPP, the GMT finds smaller bits, finds "medium small" bits (less than 5 grains) deeper, detects "crumbly" gold better, gets sharper response on specimen quartz containing small bits, and detects flat nuggets better than chunky ones, with the SPP preferring the latter. On the other hand, the SPP handles really bad ground better, misses most types of hot rocks, and can employ much larger searchcoils, which can improve depth of detection on bigger gold, if such are actually present. But in the end, regardless of which type of machine you use, success is highly dependent on locale and operator expertise. Hope this helps; HH Jim

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rebel73153 said:

Now i am kicking myself for it.

I wouldn`t kick yourself to much for it. I still find gold with my old SD2200.  Find yourself a used GP, or GPX machine and you will be in good shape.

On 1/5/2018 at 6:15 PM, Rebel73153 said:

Under what, if any, conditions would a Whites Gold Master, or any VLF for that matter, be a better choice than a Minelab sensitivity enhanced GPX 4500?

Looks like people have covered the hunting basics already but I'll add this note in: PIs are generally more heavy and awkward than the VLFs. So, if you have arm, neck, back issues, weight might factor into your decision. 

Well, the Whites TDI SL doesn't weigh much, if any, more than the Whites GM V-sat, so that wouldn't be an issue. But thanks.

7 minutes ago, Rebel73153 said:

Well, the Whites TDI SL doesn't weigh much, if any, more than the Whites GM V-sat, so that wouldn't be an issue. But thanks.

You're right Reb. I've used both a TDI and a V-sat, not much difference. My goal was just to just get the info out there for anyone who reads this topic in the future and wonders about the weight difference, specific to arm, neck and back issues, between VLFs and PIs in general. Hope this helps. 

Always appreciate the advice and opinions of those who know more about something than i do. Thanks