Nugget Shooter Forums
homefire

RUN Packy, RUNNNNNNNN!

Dang !  Wicked Wanda the Wonder Wife says Packy the Pack Rat is going to get Suicided !    Guess she got tired of his games.   Plumb Out Stayed the Welcome he never had ?

Victor.jpg

• Haha 4

I'm confused Homey, are you going to use the trap or the Pall Malls? :D
AzNuggetBob

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hopefully you catch him first try. They're sneaky bastards. I caught one in one of those cage style live traps once and set it on the porch to deal with in the morning. Sometime in the wee hours it pulled a Houdini. It was a big rat, but it somehow managed to squeeze through the small gap beside the door of the trap. 

If he eats my Pall Mall's, I'll use the .22  !

Yep, Dave them Pack Rats are sure smarter then most other Rodent types.  This one or one of his Brethren chewed our A/C wire in half and lived doing it.  Must have been off the ground doing it or it would have been TOASTed.  LOL

• Like 3

The Depot sells plastic 'disposable' traps that work really well.  They have 'teeth' and do the 'job' quick.  I used one on a roof rat that got into our garage by way of the attic.  A little peanut butter and a couple hours later....   :yesss:

Good Luck !!

Luke

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When I was a kid we would make an event out of Pack Rat hunting. We would pull their homes apart, and kill them as they tried to make their escape. The grown-ups ( bigger kids) would tell us that they liked shiny things like jewelry and coins, and would hide them in their houses. 

• Like 1

Yep, the Universal Rodent Bait.  PEANUT BUTTER !  LOL    Victor works fine.   Made  with the Finest Spring Steel and Oak Wood American Made.  They Break Finger Most well Too !  LOL

Yep, Dissect Every Pack Rat nest you come across in the boonies.  I've found some crazy stuff in them.  Even the ones miles and miles from people. 

Edited by homefire

Be careful around the pack rat nests in AZ ... They harbor cone nose bugs, and you definitely do not want to get bit by them ... Some folks go into anaphlectic shock after being bitten and in TX and NM you can end up with chagas disease ... Just be careful... Cheers, Unc

• Like 2

Same with any Rodents.  You don't want to be breathing in the Dust or licking your fingers afterwords !   LOL

• Haha 1

There is a huge nest in an old hard rock mine opening I've been wanting to check out. It's so big I've toyed with the idea of hauling a jug of gas up there and burning it out...maybe if it ever rains again. It's way too dry right now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

burning it out

No telling what all kind of critters are in there. 

39 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

There is a huge nest in an old hard rock mine opening I've been wanting to check out. It's so big I've toyed with the idea of hauling a jug of gas up there and burning it out...maybe if it ever rains again. It's way too dry right now. 

Bad Move Dave.  The Smoke could carry nasty stuff with it.     A guy down the road from me back east got the bright Idea of burning a bunch of Poison Ivy in the alley.  He put four people in the hospital and dang near killed him self. 

• Like 1

Thats a big reason I haven't done it. We don't have any poison ivy or anything, but burning cactus can't be all that healthy either. 

LOL, Some Cactus can let you see your Creator !    

We have a place here on the side of the Florida Mtns were there was a battle between the  Chiricahua some Buffalo solders.   Just about in that spot I rooted a OLD Pack Rat nest and found TWO really old 45-70 cartridges.  Always wondered if they could have been from that battle. 

I don't think we have any of those kind of cactus. :25r30wi:

That'd make for a bad day if it caught you by surprise! 

The shells would be a cool find if they could be dated to that time period. So who won the battle?

8 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

I don't think we have any of those kind of cactus. :25r30wi:

That'd make for a bad day if it caught you by surprise! 

The shells would be a cool find if they could be dated to that time period. So who won the battle?

Both Sides took losses.  The Natives beat feet across the border.  I can't find any citation on it any more.  I did find this one I didn't know about !  http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/trail_dust/trail-dust-was-apache-chief-victorio-killed-in-florida-mountains/article_ec943599-8711-576e-b419-bfcab96962b3.html

• Like 1

Homey we got em bad over here in Az. too. them little chompers have been eating up my wiring in my trucks and RV's for years. I agree with Luke. peanut butter works very well.

AzNuggetBob

Homey not trying to jack your thread just thought Id share this, had a ton of pack rats in this place too, chomping up my wiring. and I agree I've found a lot of metal junk hunting around their nests but according some rummers no gold nuggets. your thread also reminded me of this.
 When I lived out in Congress I had a house up off Ghost town road on the side of the hill. about three acres. just below the water tank. Had a huge screened in porch on the front of it. great view of Rich Hill from there. had javelina in my driveway almost every nite. and an occasional cougar that used to wander down and got to be a pain in the rear harassing my dog. should have seen that dog, even the cougar wouldn't take him on, just loved to mess with him because he was chained.
I had deer down in my front yard, counted seventeen one nite, eating all the grass and some of my plants, no not those plants I had them fenced in, in the back yard next to the pond. anyway I used to sit out on the front screened in porch with my tools, drill press table saw etc. and drink beer looking at Rich Hill pondering my next adventure nite after nite. most of the time I would sit out there in the dark except for moon light just thinking. did it for months.
My wife would come out and start complaining, there's a bunch of wolf spiders on the bedroom window screen again. and I'd say hey they were just up there eating the bugs because she had the light on. I told her stop leaving the light on. and then I started thinking about it. I had re-screened the porch and put silicone in every crack on it I could find. That evening I sprayed the front porch with poison, walked out the next day and found about seven dead wolf spiders laying around on the screened in porch floor around my lawn chair. hey the nice thing about spiders is they don't chew up wiring.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 4

Well I may be dealing with Educated Rat here.    Or he likes the dry dog food more then Peanut butter sprinkled with Cracked Corn ? 

The rat in my garage was temporarily deprived of food.  My guess is that she'd only been in there for a day or two before I noticed the clues.  She hadn't yet chewed all the way through the plastic garbage can I keep the dog food in, and the 20lb bag of pinto beans was untouched.  I did have a decorative chili plant that I purchased and left overnight in the garage.  The first night, half the chilies were missing.  I thought it was weird, but I have kids.  The second night, more chilies gone, and some of the dirt dug out.  Then I noticed all the little dusty footprints on the top of everything.  I originally thought the rat was able to come and go, but later realized it was a one way trip and it had inadvertently trapped itself in the garage.  Like I said earlier, I set the trap at 3pm and when we got home at 6, dead rat.

Those rats love the dog food, and it probably has some stored up.  So it might be awhile before the peanut butter starts to look appealing.

Luke

• Like 3

Well it took a while but VICTOR , SCORES ! Victor. American Made of the Best Oak and Spring Steel !

VictorScores.jpg

• Like 4

If I hear the dog food bowls rattling I'll reset the thing.    Stupid thing left me half a banana on the counter top.  He got his other half of it .   Errr Sorta. 

Edited by homefire
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, homefire said:

Well it took a while but VICTOR , SCORES ! Victor. American Made of the Best Oak and Spring Steel !

VictorScores.jpg

Bam, got that sucker, hope he didn't leave your address with his family!!  :fl:

HEALTHY ?   Eating as much dry dog food as it could stuff it's self with I would say so.   It helped it's self to more the Dog Food from time to time.  Potato's, Banana's  Candy, Cookies you name it.  It was a She Rat so will see if any little ones start wondering about. 

• Haha 1