Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gabemats

Need Some Help Finding Out What These Are

Hey guys! I'm new to the community and need some help distinguishing what I have in my collection here.

Firstly, I want to state that I do not have nearly the amount of knowledge with rocks, minerals, and fossils as most of you guys on here probably have. Realistically, I can't even claim myself an amateur collector--perhaps more of an enthusiast or professional admirer (lol). I realize the classification of the majority of my findings are obvious or simple, and a plethora of my stuff is not anything special, so I only ask to spare any critical judgement. My collection dates back to middle school (I'm in college now), and consist of findings I picked up in creeks/mountain tops, mostly in Blacksburg, VA and neighboring regions. Others were either passed down to me or purchased.

Anyways, here's some of the things I am having trouble classifying. I have hundreds more, but thought I'd start off with just 5 images--and if the opportunity arises to keep the ball rolling with more pictures if I find the help I need. Thanks so much!

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

You've got a couple of beauties there! ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

The second from the top is Mookaite from Australia... very hard, some has yellowish white in it.........

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Uncle Ron said:

You've got a couple of beauties there! ... Cheers, Unc

Thank you very much, sir!

2 minutes ago, pondmn said:

The second from the top is Mookaite from Australia... very hard, some has yellowish white in it.........

Seems spot on. That was one of the ones I was more curious about... Very unique look. Almost obsidian-like texture. Very cool, thank you so much!

Also, I think I narrowed the third one from the top down to an assortment of emeralds I have. Don't feel like cracking it open, but the crust is identical to others that are already split.

#4 looks like a chunk of pegmatite

#5 is a man made bismuth crystal

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, d_day said:

#4 looks like a chunk of pegmatite

#5 is a man made bismuth crystal

Man you guys are good. :yesss:

I'll shoot a few more, then I'm off to bed!

06.png

07.png

27 minutes ago, gabemats said:

I'll shoot a few more, then I'm off to bed!

06.png

07.png

First one looks like coal, but really hard to tell from a picture. Second one is chalcopyrite.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, d_day said:

First one looks like coal, but really hard to tell from a picture. Second one is chalcopyrite.

Interesting! It appears the "peacock" chalco is sheeting a quartz crystal. As for the first one, It's too true black and glassy to be coal.. My picture probably doesn't do it justice haha. Could it be black tourmaline? Looks very similar... Not sure.