Nugget Shooter Forums
jjbond

Trash, we could have Goanna's

The next time you're exausted from digging a chunk of deep trash... remember this video... it could be worse... we could have Goanna's.

WOW looks like some dirty dog set you up-took the gold and left you trash-bummer. Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Goanna - Wikipedia

A goanna is any of several Australian monitor lizards of the genus Varanus, as well as certain species from Southeast Asia. Around 30 species of goanna are known, 25 of which are found in Australia. This varied group of carnivorous reptiles ranges greatly in size and fills several ecological niches.

• Like 1

Jen, I would gladly take the goannas to have the monster sized nuggets that they have in Australia,  heck even all the venomous snakes lol

Chris

I wonder if the goannas beep? All that gold dust probably would get embedded in their rough skin. If that's the case, take a container of soapy water along, give them a little sponge bath so you can't beep'em.

40 minutes ago, Red_desert said:

I wonder if the goannas beep? All that gold dust probably would get embedded in their rough skin. If that's the case, take a container of soapy water along, give them a little sponge bath so you can't beep'em.

I would doubt they "beep" nor would they hold still for a sponge bath or even to let you wave the coil over them..BUT I'm sure they taste like chicken!!

• Like 1
    • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

I would doubt they "beep" nor would they hold still for a sponge bath or even to let you wave the coil over them..BUT I'm sure they taste like chicken!!

It most likely wouldn't be legal to eat them. The fines for killing a tiger snake, think I'd read could be up $10,000. I always heard it said that rattlesnakes taste like chicken. All of them are reptiles, so far I've eaten none of the above.

15 minutes ago, Red_desert said:

It most likely wouldn't be legal to eat them. The fines for killing a tiger snake, think I'd read could be up $10,000. I always heard it said that rattlesnakes taste like chicken. All of them are reptiles, so far I've eaten none of the above.

Similar to what we have in British Columbia about what some people call "mossing". The old timers use to take all the moss off the rocks along the Fraser River and burn it to get the gold out of it, it makes a perfect miners moss. It's illegal in BC to do that now, it's destruction of riparian habitat... bloody tree huggers...

Natural miner's moss...never thought of that, I suppose burning it would leave behind ashes gold concentrate.

I had a claim in Northern CA on the Scott River near Callahan that had nice nuggets and all of the moss on several large inside turns could be scraped up and washed vigorously for a very good return of flood gold... Bedrock was deep at about 16 ft. that we reached with two Keene 4" dredges...Big rocks throughout the overburden ...They could tire a guy out carrying 400 lb. rocks underwater all day ... Overburden carried good gold and we could find nice 2+ DWT nuggets through out from top to bottom ... It was an awesome claim except for the rattlers ... It originally was a Chinese claim back around 1865 known as the Rooster Claim because the Chinese turned a bunch of chickens loose to control the snakes ...Old timers told me the chickens bred and ran loose up until the 1960's ... I heard that local ranchers came up and hunted them out then ... Now you can't even get into the claim because the trail in passed over a rancher's field and he decided to block out access ... Cheers, Unc

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

Funny, I've never had anything that tasted like chicken.........except chicken lol.

What's with bcprospectors.com says at top the domain is for sale. I had a couple bookmarked links to gold legends on Vancouver Island, now the pages are gone, only ad links. The legends were Legend Of Christen's Lost Gold Cave Of Leechtown  and Legend of the Ed Mullards Lost Spanish Cave.

I do have printed material, there is a gold hunter who mailed the info to me, he lives there finally got a claim filed in Leechtown area. Interesting how a site was found in the area, with old hand blown Spanish glass bottles. Bone Yard lake, got it's name because of a slaughter of Native Americans, by possibly the Spanish.

Edited by Red_desert

6 minutes ago, Uncle Ron said:

I had a claim in Northern CA on the Scott River near Callahan that had nice nuggets and all of the moss on several large inside turns could be scraped up and washed vigorously for a very good return of flood gold... Bedrock was deep at about 16 ft. that we reached with two Keene 4" dredges...Big rocks throughout the overburden ...They could tire a guy out carrying 400 lb. rocks underwater all day ... Overburden carried good gold and we could find nice 2+ DWT nuggets through out from top to bottom ... It was an awesome claim except for the rattlers ... It originally was a Chinese claim back around 1865 known as the Rooster Claim because the Chinese turned a bunch of chickens loose to control the snakes ...Old timers told me the chickens bred and ran loose up until the 1960's ... I heard that local ranchers came up and hunted them out then ... Now you can't even get into the claim because the trail in passed over a rancher's field and he decided to block out access ... Cheers, Unc

Isn't Scott river where GPAA had or maybe still have outings?

Yes, RD...Except their claims are at the mouth of the Scott which is about 60+ miles down stream from where my claim was...Cheers, Unc

If you're talking about Leechtown BC on Van island, don't waste your time, the logging companies have Vancouver Island locked up so tight with fences and ridiculous key deposit amounts, insurance and notification requirements and other drama it's not worth the time.

Here, let me Google that for you..... here's your links: http://www.bcprospectors.ca/Leechtown Christens Lost Cave.htm and http://www.bcprospectors.ca/Mullard.htm

Edited by jjbond

I still have my pins in GE, Survey Mt area. Not planning on going there, they did try to make it a royal waterway I think also.

2 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

Yes, RD...Except their claims are at the mouth of the Scott which is about 60+ miles down stream from where my claim was...Cheers, Unc

Sounds like you could have a lot of fun on your claim.

1 hour ago, Red_desert said:

Sounds like you could have a lot of fun on your claim.

Yeps...worked what actually was 2 20 acre claims for two full seasons ... Lots of gold and amazing trout fishing! ... 2 pounders were common for lunch most days... Miss those days but no way I could work that ground now ... I survived a couple of potentially deadly accidents ... Dredge tunnel cave in and a huge rock falling from the top of the cut to square on my back ... Either one of those should have killed me, but somehow I got through both events ... Cheers, Unc

Dredge tunnel, I imagine that could be scary. Now trout are good eating, brings back memories of a family vacation growing up at Yellowstone and Tetons. Trout were hitting surface insects, but no bits even tried a wet fly/casting bubble combo. I talked dad into dropping me off on the back marsh side where a small stream entered. Being bored started casting bass and pike lures with a spinning rod. I don't remember what the limit on trout was except all the fish were huge. My rod bent, played the fish in, dad was over there in no time. Mom cooked them and still can remember the taste. Fish had the spots like brown or lake trout, back then we didn't know for sure which one. Mepps spinner #2 black blade with spots and bucktail was the killer lure that evening at the spot by the creek inlet. If I can remember correctly back that many years, the one fish brought in first, measured about 26 inches...good catch for a young boy.

Edited by Red_desert
    • Like 1

5 hours ago, jjbond said:

If you're talking about Leechtown BC on Van island, don't waste your time, the logging companies have Vancouver Island locked up so tight with fences and ridiculous key deposit amounts, insurance and notification requirements and other drama it's not worth the time.

Here, let me Google that for you..... here's your links: http://www.bcprospectors.ca/Leechtown Christens Lost Cave.htm and http://www.bcprospectors.ca/Mullard.htm

Oh, the links probably changed...got them bookmarked, yes those were the pages. I was looking at Survey Mt in GE, starting to remeber some things about the area. A lot of interesting history, Leech river up to Survey Mt, then to Jordan Meadows (?) Weeks Lake, I think there is a S Fork on the Leech also.