Nugget Shooter Forums
adam

Christmas weekend Gold

This weekend past, I managed to find some time for a hunt. My initial plan was to traverse the hillsides, hilltops, and slopes for a new patch. Well,  I accomplished both.

Found a slope with a very reddish decomposing pegmatite , and decided to hunt it.  First two swings and I found the little guy in the pic ( .5 Gram) ,  15 feet above that one, I get a subtle target, but defined. About 8 inches down, I unearth a black rock that`s screaming. Turns out to be a chunk ( 4 grams ) of what appears to be hematite, with a gold seam running right through it :yesss: 

Bailed out of that spot to go hit an area I had found a few before.  Wouldn`t you know it, I banged out  a nice 3 gram quartz gold specimen, and and a .6 tenth piece.:head: 

All this gold is about as coarse as it gets . Eluvial nuggets can be very attractive..

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

• Like 22

Oh man....   :thumbsupanim

Merry Christmas Adam.

:D

Luke

Awesome nuggets, great job.

Very nice gold! I really like that specie. Looks good with a white background. Might try a some diluted muriatic acid to clean the hematite piece up some. But, what im most interested in is that screw??? Can you tell me more about it? Is it 10/24 or 8/32???   :ROFL:
Tom H.

Edited by TomH
  • Haha 3

Just think what you would of found with the Gold Monster! Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Shep

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, shep said:

Just think what you would of found with the Gold Monster!

Ounces more ,I`m sure  :D :rolleyes:   

• Like 1

Great work there Adam ...  Nice little Santa Claus Rally for you!

Very nice

I would like to see a close up of the Hematite. 

Looks like some old and new stuff in the iron dig pile looks like your cleaning it up for the next trip.

22 hours ago, TomH said:

Might try a some diluted muriatic acid

Nah, That stuff usually only works on carbonate minerals I think, and it smells :D.  I need something that will dissolve Iron Oxide ( Hematite)

I'm reading up on cleaning some rust stained crystals, and I can find for easily purchased chemicals is iron out (a bisulfate cleaner for iron stains) and navel jelly (phosphoric acid).  Those can be purchased at any Wal Mart or auto store.  There's also oxalic acid, but that requires heating near boiling.  Oxalic acid is available off amazon.  For some reason oxalic acid is the preferred method to clean crystals, but I don't know how those chemicals react with gold.  CLR does not work.  My quartz has been soaking in CLR for a week, but is barely changed less red.

I was just getting ready to post to see if anyone had cleaning instructions for crystals. The red I'm trying to get out is just like the rust stains on the quartz / gold sample, just minus the gold.

Edited by chrisski

10 minutes ago, adam said:

Nah, That stuff usually only works on carbonate minerals I think, and it smells :D.  I need something that will dissolve Iron Oxide ( Hematite)

Nitric Acid will,..  And it won't affect the gold,  other than clean it.  Gary

Great gold!! :ya:

19 hours ago, chrisski said:

I'm reading up on cleaning some rust stained crystals, and I can find for easily purchased chemicals is iron out (a bisulfate cleaner for iron stains) and navel jelly (phosphoric acid).  Those can be purchased at any Wal Mart or auto store.  There's also oxalic acid, but that requires heating near boiling.  Oxalic acid is available off amazon.  For some reason oxalic acid is the preferred method to clean crystals, but I don't know how those chemicals react with gold.  CLR does not work.  My quartz has been soaking in CLR for a week, but is barely changed less red.

I was just getting ready to post to see if anyone had cleaning instructions for crystals. The red I'm trying to get out is just like the rust stains on the quartz / gold sample, just minus the gold.

Those rust stains can be hard to get out. You've done just about everything you can short of using Armour Etch. But that might ruin the crystal. I remember one time in Nevada I found some reddish yellow crystals. I spent quite sometime and expense trying to clean them up since they had a nice crystalization. Turns out they were actually citrine crystals and not stained quartz crystals.

Beautiful finds Adam.  That is some nice hillside hunting.

Good crap Adam!  (It auto changed me ... you know what I meant!)

Mitchel

Edited by mn90403