Nugget Shooter Forums
LowPoint

BAH-HUMBUG NUGGETS

I was out at one of my locations on both Friday, and Saturday and managed to score these five-nuggets.  This location had this massive bedrock outcropping right in the middle of the wash, which "angled" downward about 4-feet into a sandy-overburden open area (pond of sorts).  I had found 3-4 small nuggets (sitting ducks) at this location a couple of years ago, but hadn't been back since then.  After standing down stream for a few minutes (trying to "read-the-wash") I decided to dig down (down stream) right below the bedrock that became hidden beneath the sand.  After digging down about 3-feet (following the bedrock down) I discovered that the bedrock had been worn away into a 3" x 4" cavity and then shot upward in an angle about 2 1/2 feet,.. kind of like a huge "V".  Initially, I was kind of skeptical about even messing with this spot as the bedrock was composed of smooth, ( very smooth) very-worn bedrock, which most of us know usually doesn't hold (or trap) the gold.  After clearing the "V'd area out I swung my coil over the cavity and got a very strong signal.  The speci-nugget is the one that I found there, which weighed in at 1.01 grams. 

I had also observed that the upstream part of the wash that approached the bedrock outcropping was somewhat of a level area.  It had stopped 4"-size rocks and most likely caused the flowing water (when it had been flowing in the past) to slow down, which indicated to me that nuggets would be blocked and drop there.  After clearing out the rocks and overburden that had accumulated there,... sure enough I picked up three signals, which are the three smaller nuggets pictured.  The above 4-nuggets I found on Friday.  

Then on Saturday I went back and continued clearing rocks and overburden away heading upstream.  The area was still kind of level.  When I skimmed off a spot I noticed a greyish-greenish clay material as a bedrock.  I swung my coil over the area and got a very strong signal over this material.  The nugget was down about 4" in this material and weighed in at 1.03 grams (the second of the two larger ones).  All total the five nuggets weighed in at 2.36 grams,...."YAHOO"..................Gary

100_2788.JPG

• Like 15

Got to give it to you Gary, You have the skills to read the dirt :).

I love those flat spots above a bedrock water fall. Or, even a flat spot after a fast shoot. I call them (drop zones)

WTG on the gold. Very nice.

Tom H.

14 hours ago, TomH said:

Got to give it to you Gary, You have the skills to read the dirt :).

I love those flat spots above a bedrock water fall. Or, even a flat spot after a fast shoot. I call them (drop zones)

WTG on the gold. Very nice.

Tom H.

Yea, I have dug out more than my share of these drop zones (below waterfalls) and not only are most of them "deep", but I have never had any luck doing so,....except this time,... my gut feeling just told me to dig?!?  Usually now I look for a flat area just downstream of those Drops, and/or other bedrock that will stop the gold.  Gary

• Like 4

Rather embodies an intersection between nugget shooting and trace mining.  I love it.  Keep it up.

• Like 1

Nice nuggets, I like hearing about other people out working hard for it. Thanks for sharing Gary!:thumbsupanim

23 hours ago, GDM/PV said:

I was out at one of my locations on both Friday, and Saturday and managed to score these five-nuggets.  This location had this massive bedrock outcropping right in the middle of the wash, which "angled" downward about 4-feet into a sandy-overburden open area (pond of sorts).  I had found 3-4 small nuggets (sitting ducks) at this location a couple of years ago, but hadn't been back since then.  After standing down stream for a few minutes (trying to "read-the-wash") I decided to dig down (down stream) right below the bedrock that became hidden beneath the sand.  After digging down about 3-feet (following the bedrock down) I discovered that the bedrock had been worn away into a 3" x 4" cavity and then shot upward in an angle about 2 1/2 feet,.. kind of like a huge "V".  Initially, I was kind of skeptical about even messing with this spot as the bedrock was composed of smooth, ( very smooth) very-worn bedrock, which most of us know usually doesn't hold (or trap) the gold.  After clearing the "V'd area out I swung my coil over the cavity and got a very strong signal.  The speci-nugget is the one that I found there, which weighed in at 1.01 grams. 

I had also observed that the upstream part of the wash that approached the bedrock outcropping was somewhat of a level area.  It had stopped 4"-size rocks and most likely caused the flowing water (when it had been flowing in the past) to slow down, which indicated to me that nuggets would be blocked and drop there.  After clearing out the rocks and overburden that had accumulated there,... sure enough I picked up three signals, which are the three smaller nuggets pictured.  The above 4-nuggets I found on Friday.  

Then on Saturday I went back and continued clearing rocks and overburden away heading upstream.  The area was still kind of level.  When I skimmed off a spot I noticed a greyish-greenish clay material as a bedrock.  I swung my coil over the area and got a very strong signal over this material.  The nugget was down about 4" in this material and weighed in at 1.03 grams (the second of the two larger ones).  All total the five nuggets weighed in at 2.36 grams,...."YAHOO"..................Gary

100_2788.JPG

I went back out to my spot again today and started to work upstream from where I found the 5-nuggets above.  Within 6-foot of where I stopped on Saturday I managed to get two more nuggets (on is a bit small) for a total weight of:  1.45 Grams,.... Now, this is getting to be FUN !!!   Gary

100_2792.JPG

100_2794.JPG

• Like 4

Nice gold Gary !!  :thumbsupanim

Like Tom said, you sure know how to 'read the dirt'.

Being willing to do some hard labor for the possibility of a pay-off is definitely a major factor in your continued success.

"That which is not used, withers away"....   :brows:

Congrats !!

Luke

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

Nice gold Gary !!  :thumbsupanim

Like Tom said, you sure know how to 'read the dirt'.

Being willing to do some hard labor for the possibility of a pay-off is definitely a major factor in your continued success.

"That which is not used, withers away"....   :brows:

Congrats !!

Luke

"That which is not used, withers away"....   :brows:,..........................  I couldn't have said it better myself Luke,...As a matter of fact, I think that I may have said it at least once on this forum in the past  :old:   Gary

Oh crap....its getting bigger up stream!! :ya:

Tom H.

WTG Gary nice gold, I was busy doing plumbing at the daughters ne house all weekend, getting out this coming weekend though!

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:27 PM, TomH said:

Oh crap....its getting bigger up stream!! :ya:

Tom H.

"YOUR'E DARN-TOOT'N" TOM,........  One can only hope that it continues,.... Based on the rough-look, and unsmoothed edges of the last nugget, I got to be getting close to the source :brows:........That-or, "Oh Crap" I must have passed it :200:  Gary

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

WTG Gary nice gold, I was busy doing plumbing at the daughters ne house all weekend, getting out this coming weekend though!

"plumbing"?? ! ??  ..................That's a Retched-Fighting-Word-Partner,....:grr01:..... done way-too-much of that in the past. :old:  Gary