Nugget Shooter Forums
chrisski

Arizona Travel Management Plans

I found this document https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/files/MAP Proposed Travel Management Plans 1 Mar 2017.pdf which shows how the BLM is planning on restricting access to our lands in AZ.   Appears since 2014 they have restricted access to a small part of the state, centered around populated areas, but by 2019 will have restricted about 40% of the state.

I think this would be a good thing to stop, based off of Trump's Presidential Executive Order on Reducing Regulation and Controlling Regulatory Costs.  Part of this says "Sec. 2. Regulatory Cap for Fiscal Year 2017. (a) Unless prohibited by law, whenever an executive department or agency (agency) publicly proposes for notice and comment or otherwise promulgates a new regulation, it shall identify at least two existing regulations to be repealed."

I was really upset finding the road to a detecting area closed to motorized use. I can not even imagine the cost of putting signs up in the middle of nowhere.  This is a lot more than just four PVC claim markers.  These are thousands of signs going up in areas that see little, if any traffic.  A lot of which will get the "No motorized vehicle access" sign put up.

• Like 1

I think we have between three and seven year window to stop this if we act now.  I'm just not sure what to do.  I feel an email to a senator would go wholly unnoticed, not because its not important, its just to easy so everyone does it.

We're in the beginning of change now.  Its like we got a new boss at work and no one thinks anything is going to change, but it is, and most don't believe it or don't think it will last.  If this is brought up early, than awesome.  Approached the right way, this will be stopped where its at or even reversed.  If the Hassanyumpa BLM office has nothing to do except create travel management plans, time to close it.

Since the BLM reorganized their website, the Wickenburg area TMP links are broke and I can't even open the maps. I am waiting to get a new quad, but if I can't drive down the roads I want, I don't want to buy it.  I can't download the maps for these travel management plans to see what roads are open and closed.  Right now, all I can do is drive down the roads and hope I don't see a closed to motorized traffic sign.  The roads they are closing are on historical maps. The one I'm using to plan my trip is a 1965 1:24k USGS map.

Edited by chrisski
  • Like 1

I thought it(BLM) was said to be opening but now closing instead?? why am I not surprized??? sic sic sic-John

1 hour ago, chrisski said:

I think we have between three and seven year window to stop this if we act now.  I'm just not sure what to do.  I feel an email to a senator would go wholly unnoticed, not because its not important, its just to easy so everyone does it.

We're in the beginning of change now.  Its like we got a new boss at work and no one thinks anything is going to change, but it is, and most don't believe it or don't think it will last.  If this is brought up early, than awesome.  Approached the right way, this will be stopped where its at or even reversed.  If the Hassanyumpa BLM office has nothing to do except create travel management plans, time to close it.

Since the BLM reorganized their website, the Wickenburg area TMP links are broke and I can't even open the maps. I am waiting to get a new quad, but if I can't drive down the roads I want, I don't want to buy it.  I can't download the maps for these travel management plans to see what roads are open and closed.  Right now, all I can do is drive down the roads and hope I don't see a closed to motorized traffic sign.  The roads they are closing are on historical maps. The one I'm using to plan my trip is a 1965 1:24k USGS map.

If you can get the President's attention on this is the best bet IMHO, there are severel venues to try and do so, you can write or call the Whitehouse, but if it will get to the President is unknown, but possible, another is to start a petition and if you get enough signers it will be presented to the President, it is well known that the President uses Twitter so it's another venue to try and get his attention.

Here's a link explaining how to go about calling and or writing the Whitehouse, if you try and get as many people as possible to do the same it will most likely get the attention of the President, the more the merrier, a form letter would help get others in on this but having everyone change it up a bit to make it a more personalized/in their owm words type letter would be more affective, IMHO.  .

https://www.whitehouse.gov/get-involved/write-or-call/

Here's a link to Petitions.Whitehouse.gov, unfortunately the site is down and under maintenance and won't be back online until late January, once you start a petition you will have to pursue/spread it online through social media to get others to sign it so it will get to the Whitehouse/President's attention, if the petition get's enough attention on social media it will spread like wildfire and ensure you get the required number of signatures, which use to be around 20,000 or so.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions

Now for Twitter, here's a link to the President's Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

IMHO it would be best to pursue all the above and there's other ways out there to possibly get the President's attention, by doing a online search for contacting the President may bring up other ways to do so.

• Like 1

I think it's better to get organizations like public lands for the people, hunting, and 4WD clubs to sponsor something.  If all I do is write the white house nothing will happen.  The white house gets way too much to answer everyone of those E-Mails.  I may feel good by doing the petition, but working alone will be nothing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjbond said:

You might want to reach out to Shannon at AMRA as well and make sure he's aware of this, they're main purpose is to keep roads open, as he states at the end of one of the videos I posted yesterday and having claims here in AZ, he has a vested interest in this issue.

I appreciate this.

We are aware of this issue, like many other TMP's in the West.  Most were done and are being carried out from the remnants of the Obama Administration.  We have finally broken through President Trump's firewall and have a line of communication with his Administration.  We are working with Ryan Zinke on several other USFS and BLM issue's.  This one just moved up on our list.

We recommend you join our Facebook page "American Mining Rights" to keep up with any updates we have, and if we need you to write letters or make calls to particular Senators, please encourage your friends and fellow miners to do the same.  If we remain silent, or act alone we will be crushed.  We must unite and stand together.

Shannon Poe, President AMRA

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, AMRA/Shannon said:

We are aware of this issue, like many other TMP's in the West.  Most were done and are being carried out from the remnants of the Obama Administration.  We have finally broken through President Trump's firewall and have a line of communication with his Administration.  We are working with Ryan Zinke on several other USFS and BLM issue's.  This one just moved up on our list.

We recommend you join our Facebook page "American Mining Rights" to keep up with any updates we have, and if we need you to write letters or make calls to particular Senators, please encourage your friends and fellow miners to do the same.  If we remain silent, or act alone we will be crushed.  We must unite and stand together.

Shannon Poe, President AMRA

Shannon, 

Thanks for joining the forum, welcome!

More importantly, THANKS for for the work you and AMRA are doing to preserve our rights to mine and access public "our" lands!! :thumbsupanim

Here's a link the AMRA Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/americanminingrights/

For those who don't do Facebook, here's a link to AMRA webpage.

https://www.americanminingrights.com/

Shannon,

Trying to send a message about claim info prior to joining.  I'd like some info on the AZ claims, but the website keeps giving me a "Contact administrator by another message."

Seems like an amazing organization and something I'd like to be part of.

I can be reached directly at: shannonp@americanminingrights.com (email).  My purpose for posting in here was not to solicit members for AMRA, but to unite and to let you all know we are aware of the issues in Arizona and that we are working on this, and many other very, very similar problems within the BLM.  I don't get much chance to peruse websites, so don't know how much I'll be posting in here, but do know any of you can reach out to me at any time via the email above.

Shannon

• Like 1

On 12/24/2017 at 12:03 PM, chrisski said:

I appreciate this.

I do too.  Had no idea about AMRA.  I plan on spreading this to Az 4wd peeps. 

Thanks Jen! 

I did a year long membership to the AMRA.  That also gave me access to the claims for 12 months. 

I really do think these travel management plans can get scrapped if pushed in the correct direction.

How do I find out specifically what trails,  roads,  access are being closed? The map shows general areas. I read a whole bunch of BLM lawyer sounding jargon but I a missing something.  I get that this is a travel management plan but dont  know exactly what that means in  terms of offroad acces in the highlighted areas on the map.  Does all offroad access in the  highlighted areas get closed? Its sounds like they are trying to make way for infrastructure and major roads.  It seems there was some care about not disturbing historic sites. 

I was trying to read through documents  on this  BLM page. 

BLM AZ

Dang, ive been trying to read it and its mind numbing!

Tom H.

It's not a Travel Management Plan it's an interagency Programmatic Agreement to help provide access to historic sites. The agreement is part of a Grant from Arizona State Parks. There are specific limitations to the agreement, probably the most important of which follows:

The following activities are not included under this Agreement and are subject to separate review under the NHPA and NEPA:
1.Creation of new routes;
2.Route modifications/alterations;
3.Route maintenance activities.

It's confusing because it's government speak for "we ain't gonna do nuthin but soak up some of this free Grant money from the State of Arizona". In the military this would be known as a Cluster F***. Most certainly mind numbing but it is not a Travel Management Plan.

Edited by clay
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, clay said:

It's not a Travel Management Plan it's an interagency Programmatic Agreement to help provide access to historic sites. The agreement is part of a Grant from Arizona State Parks. There are specific limitations to the agreement, probably the most important of which follows:

It's confusing because it's government speak for "we ain't gonna do nuthin but soak up some of this free Grant money from the State of Arizona". In the military this would be known as a Cluster F***. Most certainly mind numbing but it is not a Travel Management Plan.

So they won't be maintaing roads they already do not maintain... 

Is there anywhere on AZ government sites to find future plans of mark motorized vehicle roads being closed?