Nugget Shooter Forums
DOC

Gold is NOT where you find it!

I like this one better. "If your in the wrong place your not going to find any gold" :D
AzNuggetBob

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DOC said:

You are on the right track!  That reddish quartz, as you said, is iron stained.  There is an old saying, Iron is the Mother of Gold.

So what else to look for.  Look for areas of pulverized quartz, right adjacent to areas of broken down granite.  Sometimes it is actually easier to spot these areas when you are on a high vantage point looking over distant areas.  There is this sea of read ground and then you see this area that is white (quartz) and right adjacent to it is an area that is a darker grey almost black (granite.)  These are decomposed or weathered ancient contact zones.  At one point in time a quartz reef sat adjacent to a granite reef.  Gold likes to form veins in the quartz in contact zones.  The molten granite comes to the surface under pressure and starts to cool, now comes molten quartz and bumps up against the granite.  Now you have two different materials cooling at different rates and the quartz gets fractures in it because of these different rates of cooling.  Now comes the molten metals, the iron, the gold, silver and under pressure it is forced into these fractures.  Weathering causes the iron to oxidize, the quartz reef breaks down and liberates the gold.

Now there are other theories about how some gold forms.  Like crystalline gold.  It is theorized that this gold is leached out of rock by acidic water and taken into solution.  Somewhere along the path this water hits an area of conditions that neutralizes the acid, or combines with the acid to make a small gold molecule come out of solution and form a small crystal.  Years and years and years, and this gorgeous crystalline forms into a beautiful matrix of a nugget. 

When you find these contact zones, look down hill from the contact zone where the liberated gold may have moved.

Hope that is of some help.

Doc

it does help a lot its post like yours DOC why I am here reading and soaking up as much info as I can as a new to detecting for gold detectorist its greatly appreciated all of you that have been there and done that and post things like this Thank you all

To me that statement "gold is where you find it" was just an explanation of the gold we find out of the norm. Gold not on bedrock, sunbakers, gold on top of the hills, not in the washes or gullies. That lone nugget with nothing else nearby. I have only been detecting for a few years, but i have found several nuggets in areas that i thought had no promising look to them. Maybe I just don't know enough about geology lol. 

But yes Doc, what you said was articulated perfectly. PERFECTLY! I have met many "prospectors" that just randomly go to the desert or a creek and mine without ever doing research on the area.

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bsumbdy said:

To me that statement "gold is where you find it" was just an explanation of the gold we find out of the norm. Gold not on bedrock, sunbakers, gold on top of the hills, not in the washes or gullies. That lone nugget with nothing else nearby. I have only been detecting for a few years, but i have found several nuggets in areas that i thought had no promising look to them.  

Chris

EXACTLY!!! scratch your head and keep movin on :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200:

20 hours ago, jjbond said:

Yea Barry? ...and I think you need to learn how to not jump to conclusions and how to ask me if I was a Roadrunner member before accusing me on a public forum of being a claim jumper!!!!!!!

When someone shares such detailed info on a great area and states in their description that there are Roadrunner claims there, don't you think the correct response would be to say thanks for the info and if you're a member of the claim, go work it or the areas around it unclaimed?

No, you accuse me of being a thief.

By the way..... I'm a Roadrunner member.... thanks for asking.

Jennifer

If you detected on the south west quarter section of that square and the north half you were on claims that are not Roadrunners. The north side of that square is Mexican gulch and claimed newly this year, the claimant filed with the BLM but could not file with the county recorder because the documents attempted to file were not signed and sent back, so maybe you could fight that one, I dont know though.

Not being a smart ass here and just going to make a suggestion for you and other prospectors out there, but I use "My Land Matters" to find out claim names in a certain section, then pull those claims paperwork up on the Yavapai county recorders website then run them through LR2000 to check the status. I use the claim filing paperwork to make my own map of claims for my chosen section. When I go to the field I am usually very close on the claim marker locations and can work right up to the boundry line if on some gold. There is plenty of gold around Bumble Bee still but mostly small stuff you need to placer to reach. I always see boots prints through washes I pull gold from down there, ez pickens are gone but many still walking right over decent gold. I bet there is some good undiscovered hillside patches too.

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Alwaysdirty said:

If you detected on the south west quarter section of that square and the north half you were on claims that are not Roadrunners.

The square was approximate, I was at work when I made the post.... I have the RR claim boundaries loaded on my GPS, thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 2.43.21 PM.png

Edited by jjbond

Jen generously shared some information but left herself open to comment because of the big red square and how she worded her post.  A decent intent misunderstood.  There was a subtle accusation in Clay's post along with the helping hand.  Maybe the helping hand could have been given more diplomatically.  I am not pointing fingers, but I have observed that some members of this forum tend respond to Jen's posts with less respect than if someone named Jack made the same post.  Time to get in the 21st century.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Irritated 1

15 minutes ago, kwah said:

Jen generously shared some information but left herself open to comment because of the big red square and how she worded her post.  A decent intent misunderstood.  There was a subtle accusation in Clay's post along with the helping hand.  Maybe the helping hand could have been given more diplomatically.  I am not pointing fingers, but I have observed that some members of this forum tend respond to Jen's posts with less respect than if someone named Jack made the same post.  Time to get in the 21st century.

:pop: ...A 30 pack should wash this popcorn down.  :4chsmu1:

Edited by SanDomingoJim
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, kwah said:

This is a tough crowd to deal with :evil1: You have to be thick skinned :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200:

Edited by Mike C...
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, kwah said:

Or this post made by Doc could have stayed on track. A new topic could have been started about the other stuff.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Sigh...... Really? Anyway thanks Doc and it is now through your grandiosity in my articles section with full credit. Now what ever happened to the "Detecting Neeeked" story?

14 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

Sigh...... Really? Anyway thanks Doc and it is now through your grandiosity in my articles section with full credit. Now what ever happened to the "Detecting Neeeked" story?

Yeah Doc, you need to post that story again, that has to be one of the funniest story I have ever heard!! :25r30wi:

While your at it, it's the time of year I think you need to post a link to your Christmas story, PLEASE!!!

Doc, that post is solid gold! As a noob, I wholeheartedly agree that I would not be as successful as I am today without mentors training me! I have definitely been the 'owned 5 planes and crashed them all' guy in the past. I guess it's because I learn fast and some things come easy, but I do tend to think I can figure it out on my own. HOWEVER, gold, and the desert, will humble you quickly, lol! My friends and mentors are worth more than any gold I will ever find, but they're helping me to find more gold than I ever thought I would for sure! Each successive trip gets better. Lessons learned about likely areas, techniques, and even self examination-such as knowing that I have adult A.D.D. and just have to see what's over the next ridge sometimes-all help to keep focused on what I'm after. 

These occasional, well thought out, well expressed nuggets such as Doc's in this case are sooooo satisfying to read and follow.  Not everyone may agree with each point made, but just having someone actually take the time and patience to put together a well argued and supported point of view is one of the things that makes me keep returning to this forum.  Thanks Doc, even though I'm a believer that sometimes gold just IS where one finds it.

• Like 3

Doc - I also am very thankful that you take the time to make good posts such as this on this forum.  Some things I think I know, but then another perspective is given.  All of these clues add up.

• Like 2

Wife and I went detecting yesterday and remembering this post I directed her to a spot I thought "best for success", short time later she scored.

15142964885111228391875.jpg

• Like 5

I am wondering if any of you guys remember your English Composition class in High School?

The purpose of a title:  " In composition, a title is a word or phrase given to a text to identify the subject, attract the reader's attention, and forecast the tone and substance of the writing to follow. ... "

Notice that ATTRACT the reader's attention?  Title's should be provocative, and yet given a idea about what the article is about.

You know, like something titled, "A guaranteed way to get women to drool all over you!"  Then what follows is a recipe for fudge brownies.  
:ROFL:

Doc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2017 at 5:56 AM, GeoJack said:

Wife and I went detecting yesterday and remembering this post I directed her to a spot I thought "best for success", short time later she scored.

15142964885111228391875.jpg

Yep, that is what I am talking about right there.

Doc

On 12/23/2017 at 1:13 PM, Micro Nugget said:

Not everyone may agree with each point made

I`m one of those people that do not agree.  But then again, i`m not as "successful", so what do I know.... " Bill, Fred, Tom, Kevin Hoagland, Mike, us guys that have been around a while" how come we are more successful at finding gold than other people"

Edited by adam
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

What about this ground? Does it look "good" ?   Or should I move on?      I see some cow poop there

Boring.JPG

Edited by adam
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cowkiller said:

Adam I think it looks great. Anything "cow" has to be good! 

Ha ha ....I guess thats my answer!.....catch ya later dude 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2017 at 6:38 AM, adam said:

I`m one of those people that do not agree.  But then again, i`m not as "successful", so what do I know.... " Bill, Fred, Tom, Kevin Hoagland, Mike, us guys that have been around a while" how come we are more successful at finding gold than other people"

Oh come on Adam, you know what I am talking about.  You know guys that go out time and time again and it is just a constant struggle for them.  About 18 years ago I am on the top of a very high ridge.  It's actually a small hill around 100 foot high out of this large wash.  Once you get to the top of it the other side drains into a small gully.  I was having quite the day.  I had hit a 23 nugget patch.  The biggest was 1/2 ounce the next 1/4 and the rest were 1 to 2 grams.  This was in the day of the SD2200.  Well I am feeling pretty darn "full of myself."  Heck the 1/2 ouncer was only like 3 inches down and screamed like trash.

So anyway I look down into the large wash and there is a guy down there detecting.  I figure I should go down and say hi.  (Because I didn't want him to come to me and say hi and see all the disturbed ground.)  I go down the hill introduce myself.  We exchange pleasantries.  He proceeds to tell me, "I don't know if this is a waste of time or not I've been coming out here for 2 1/2 years and I have never found a piece of gold.  I've dug  lot of trash.  There I stand with almost an ounce of gold in my pocket and this poor guy is telling me he has never found gold in 2 1/2 years.  That guy had to be doing something wrong, and I can almost bet you what he was doing wrong was spending too much time in the wrong places.  For example, where he was detecting in that big wash... what a waste of time, anything in there, because of the volume of water, would probably be so deep you would never hear it.  Bed rock is probably 6 feet to 10 feet down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1