Nugget Shooter Forums
Rod

GPZ Observations

Sharing some of my thoughts and observations on the GPZ after a few months. The pic is just a small portion of the gold that I’ve found with it so far.

The GPZ is heavy compared to many of the other Minelab’s I’ve swung in the last 16 years or so and I’ve swung them all at one point or another. Recently, on a five day hunt with friends I swung the GPZ the usual 8-10 hours a day. On the sixth day my shoulder was getting stiff and sore, so much so that I was glad to have a day of rest from detecting. Did not want to even swing the lightweight gold bug at that point. Just to give some perspective here I’m no weakling but not Hercules either, just a very thin and fit guy. 6 foot 1 inch and 180 lbs. I’ll mention this next piece for everyone’s potential benefit...I highly recommend going paleo if you’ve struggled with weight gain that often comes with age. I began eating paleo a few years ago (am over 50 now) and am as thin as I was at 25. And have almost endless energy. Enough about crap like health and nutrition :old:...the good news is that the GPZ comes with a harness to reduce the weight on your shoulder, I just don’t like it (nor do I use it). In speaking with other prospectors, opinions on the harness are a mixed bag just like every other topic in life. Some swear by the harness, some swear at it. I’m in the latter crowd. A bungee on the old backpack seems to work well for my purposes, don’t try and convert me :rolleyes:

The shaft’s extended length is great for jolly green 6+ footers and if you’re more dwarfish, the fact that the shaft is telescopic will make you happier than a pint of grog :oregonian_winesmiley: Plus at the end of the day you can collapse the GPZ and load it up easily into your rig. Ergonomically, the GPZ is fairly balanced. Even after months of use the ergonomic design is still weird to me, just because I swung the older style Minelabs for so long. If a GPZ is your first unit, you’ll never know the difference. 

Performance wise, the GPZ is impressive. With a little experimentation and practice you can run it just about anywhere, even in basalt. The depth and sensitivity of the GPZ are beyond my expectations. It's so sensitive that I had to change my knee pads to a new brand just to avoid hearing the little rivets when swinging the coil. Have I broke any personal records with the GPZ? Nope. Still trying to break my 7 ounce nugget record. Maybe next summer in Alaska :yesss: In taking the GPZ back to a few old patches I was surprised at the gold it recovered. Nothing big, just nuggets that made me scratch my head and wonder how multiple detectors missed them. It almost seemed like the gold gods put the nuggets in those old patches just to mess with me :89: The GPZ has also proven to be a great new patch/area finder as well, the depth and sensitivity really make it a formidable all around unit.  

The stock coil cover is really like a donut tire. Made for temporary use only. If you buy one of the aftermarket coil covers put it on carefully. They are a bear to get off if you get them on right. If you get them on wrong, you’ll work in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. When the job is done, profanity will be your true medium; you’ll be a master :inocent: I highly recommend filing the little tabs/ears on them down a little and finding the balance between “bear to get off when put on right” and “reasonable to get off when put on right” so the fit is more practical. This way you can keep your coil clean and free from black sands and other little nasties “floating” between the coil and the coil cover. 

One day I might post more about settings, target response, and a dozen other things but it's time for dinner now. Be safe and keep on swinging. 

gpz.jpg

• Like 7

Nice gold and a great review Rod and I am in the "love the harness" group because the weight tears up my shoulders without it. I have also made some impressive finds bot in worn out patches and new areas. 

Good Hunting....

13 hours ago, Rod said:

Performance wise, the GPZ is impressive. With a little experimentation and practice you can run it just about anywhere, even in basalt.

Your review is very interesting and the gold is great.  If you please, would expand on the above quote.  I find the GPZ to be very sensitive to basalt and other hot rocks and I too become a master of profanity when operating in those areas.  The basalt/hot rocks are easy to handle if on the surface, it's the larger good sounding one's under the surface that require some patience to sort out.  I have been unable to "tune out" the rocks and am short on patience.  How do you operate in severe hot rock areas?

• Like 1

get more patience...lots more,

if you are working in basalts...and some other rocks types too.  Slow way down to a near stop as you swing over the target. And and try other settings...or just dig. 

I go both ways, sometimes I dig and dig trying to make a basalt rock gold; and when that 50 pound rock is out...

usually all I get is tired!

fred

Edited by fredmason
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, kwah said:

Your review is very interesting and the gold is great.  If you please, would expand on the above quote.  I find the GPZ to be very sensitive to basalt and other hot rocks and I too become a master of profanity when operating in those areas.  The basalt/hot rocks are easy to handle if on the surface, it's the larger good sounding one's under the surface that require some patience to sort out.  I have been unable to "tune out" the rocks and am short on patience.  How do you operate in severe hot rock areas?

I don’t have a “magic bullet” group of settings that will make basalt quiet :idunno: And what works for me might not work for you. Instead of trying to explain what works for me in detail, because a lot of it is trial and error, and highly individualized, I’m going to encourage you to keep on experimenting. Experimentation is the keystone of successful detecting anywhere :old: Do it often. Hope this helps :head:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rod said:

I don’t have a “magic bullet” group of settings that will make basalt quiet :idunno: And what works for me might not work for you. Instead of trying to explain what works for me in detail, because a lot of it is trial and error, and highly individualized, I’m going to encourage you to keep on experimenting. Experimentation is the keystone of successful detecting anywhere :old: Do it often. Hope this helps :head:

Nice dodge, you should try politics... I was also looking very much forward to what your response was going to be cus that drives me crazy on my Zed as well.

3 minutes ago, jjbond said:

Nice dodge, you should try politics... I was also looking very much forward to what your response was going to be cus that drives me crazy on my Zed as well.

Politics? :laught16: OK...Experiment and have fun MDGA - Make Detecting Great Again :yesss:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

But, Jennifer...you are selling the zed so why would it matter?  

I do think the 5000 appeared to handle various hotrocks better than said zed...of course my memory may be faulty...

still I love my gpz

fred

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fredmason said:

But, Jennifer...you are selling the zed so why would it matter?  

fred

Who told you I was selling my Zed? You can't get rid of me that easily. :)

My Zed is not for sale, never has been, never will be in the foreseeable future. The link to the craigslist ad I posted recently was done as a courtesy to you all who may be looking for a Zed, it's not mine nor do I know the party selling it, I came across it while browsing Craigslist.

I just picked up a new Profind 35 and I'm still out every weekend digging up nuggets, in fact I'm taking Jan/Feb/Mar off to do it full time... :)

Jen

Edited by jjbond

33 minutes ago, jjbond said:

Who told you I was selling my Zed? You can't get rid of me that easily. :)

My Zed is not for sale, never has been, never will be in the foreseeable future. The link to the craigslist ad I posted recently was done as a courtesy to you all who may be looking for a Zed, it's not mine nor do I know the party selling it, I came across it while browsing Craigslist.

I just picked up a new Profind 35 and I'm still out every weekend digging up nuggets, in fact I'm taking Jan/Feb/Mar off to do it full time... :)

Jen

Jen, when you posted the Craig's List ad I wasn't sure if it was your's or just one you found while surfing, I know you seem to like your's so I figured it was one you found surfing, but wasn't 100% sure, but now we know for sure!! :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rod said:

Hmmmmm, .......thanks.  Back to more patience.:grr01:

3 hours ago, kwah said:

Hmmmmm, .......thanks.  Back to more patience.:grr01:

I was going to just try and not go here with the basalt settings but I received a few emails asking about it. So, with the caveat that what works for me might not work for you, here are  my very experimental settings along with a technique. My suggestion is not to get attached to some pre-conceived outcome of this working for you at all. It very well might not :idunno:

Reset the GPZ - Quick Start - Reset - Noise Cancel - Quick-Trak with the Ferrite Ring

Run for a few minutes on your reset then, find a nasty piece of basalt. Now change your settings to:

Ground Type Severe
Sensitivity 1
Audio Smoothing High
Ground Smoothing Locate Patch
Volume limit very low (experiment)
Threshold pitch to one extreme or another (high/low) 1 or 100
Ground balance auto

Quick-Trak over the nasty piece of basalt and keep detecting. 

Now, this part might sound crazy and if it does, hey, we spin in different orbits I guess :rolleyes: Being a musician I associate sounds with colors and shapes. As such, I take the audio feedback and think about it as a shape. I tend to find that in running these settings that the “rounder” signals are not basalt and the “sharper” signals are basalt on a slow swing at the "end" of a signal. To make sense of this think of a table with rounded corners and one with 90 degree corners. The 90s sounds more raspy. And if you train your ear to hear it, basalt very often has a slight double response. That double response can be more noticeable with these settings and raising the coil a few inches (deeper target) or turning the coil on it's side (shallow target). The only thing I can liken the double target to for you is the double response on a bullet casing (easy to miss) or the double response on wire (easy to hear). Like a small town, you can miss the double response of basalt easily :Just_Cuz_06: There you have it. Hope it works for you and if it does not...experiment...MDGA! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Many good points have been shared on this thread.  I will contribute a few beginning with two regarding what NOT to do -- EVER:

1.  Never absentmindedly lay your GPZ across your tailgate while the unit is still "ON" (or on any solid metal surface for more than just a brief moment).  I accidentally did this once for a span of maybe 5 minutes or so and it skewed the ground balance functions so badly that it took close to a half hour to regain the desired quiet threshold despite using the ferrite ring and every other trick I knew. I was spitting square nails at my absentminded stupidity for hours.

2.  Never transport your Zed with the battery still inserted where any other object (backpack, another detector, etc.) can inadvertently tumble or vibrate against the On-Off control button.

A brief "DO" list:

1.  Remove absolutely every metal object from roughly your crotch on down (although, if your watch or truck keys are small enough, slipping them into a rear pocket or inside a backpack seems to work reasonably well).

2.  Consider using a "hipstick" or some comparable device to transfer the strain of your Zed from your arm and rotator cuff to your pelvic structure.  Simply suspending the Zed from the "D" ring on your harness, backpack or suspenders (particularly when employing the 19" coil) may seem sufficient -- especially if you are not very old yet -- but over time the repetitive grinding of bone against soft tissue will take a serious toll.

3.  Utilize the auto frequency search function from time to time whenever you suspect EMI related issues.  And don't be hesitant to repeat the drill if after the first auto-scan you still are not satisfied.  This is particularly true especially if you are within 20 or 30 miles of any known military installation, training area or activity.  Military aircraft and radar installations -- both permanent and mobile field units -- (as well as NASA deep space research facilities) put out powerful, far reaching electronic signals.

• Like 4

Sorry, Jennifer...one more error on  my long list....

The bottom line is this; no one setting will eliminate every hot rock; someone's setting and methods may work for them but not you; and finally, practice and experiment as much as you can.  Only experience will teach you the secrets of whichever detector you use.

Rod, again, thanks for the unusual explanation for your settings!

fred

• Like 2

Rod, very interesting audio thought process.  Thank you for sharing.  Being "right brained" has its advantages.   Thanks to others who have shared additional tips.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

I use a GM 1000 in areas my other detectors will not tune out certain hot rocks....

... or my SDC2300 when it comes to medium depth areas say 4-12" deep. Three main tools for me are GM1000, SDC2300 and GPZ7000. 

• Like 1

Rod ... As others have already stated good job on the review! And nice 'dirty' gold ... I like seeing it before it is cleaned!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Furness said:

or my SDC2300 when it comes to medium depth areas say 4-12" deep. Three main tools for me are GM1000, SDC2300 and GPZ700

I love my 2300, still have a love/hate relationship with my 7000 (probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew then what I know now).  I covet a GM 1000, but dam it, if a 2300 and a 7000 won't find them then fug it, I am done with buying detectors.:2mo5pow:

Edited by kwah
  • Like 1

Kwah;

I assure you it is not the detector.  I don't know how much time you have searching nor do I know the places you searched...I spent many years thinking I was searching for gold. The truth was I went out found some nails, bullets and junk and gave up to go find coins...immediate gratification with coins!!!

I also went through several detectors thinking the newest model would make  the gold jump out of the ground.

Wrong!!!

I finally committed to spend as much time  as it took to find a nugget in an old placer area. I swore I would rot there or find gold. Lucky for me I did find my first tiny nugget and it lives forever in my mind!!!

If you love the search you will find it-someday. If all you really want is the gold...it is a lot easier to buy it.

None of what I just said is criticism , I am just shooting in the dark and hopefully helping you or some other lost gold-seeking soul.

fred

Edited by fredmason
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kwah said:

I love my 2300, still have a love/hate relationship with my 7000 (probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew then what I know now).  I covet a GM 1000, but dam it, if a 2300 and a 7000 won't find them then fug it, I am done with buying detectors.:2mo5pow:

I still have yet to find one nugget with either detector I have even though the two I do have are not as expensive as those you have I did not purchase them with high expectations in mind for me it is the thrill of the hunt and what the possibilities are if I had gone into detecting with big expectations in my mind I would have never gotten into this hobby like I said its the thrill of the hunt for me because you never know what you are going to dig up thats why I dig every signal I get don't care what target IDs are if its a good repeatable signal I dig

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DSMITH said:

I still have yet to find one nugget with either detector I have even though the two I do have are not as expensive as those you have I did not purchase them with high expectations in mind for me it is the thrill of the hunt and what the possibilities are if I had gone into detecting with big expectations in my mind I would have never gotten into this hobby like I said its the thrill of the hunt for me because you never know what you are going to dig up thats why I dig every signal I get don't care what target IDs are if its a good repeatable signal I dig

Northern AZ is not of the "hot" list for one thing and focus further South or West could improve your odds.... Good hunting.

• Like 3

I'm 5' 7" inches tall.  I have had left shoulder rotator cuff surgery, and 12 months ago I had the head of my radial bone in my right arm cut off and the nerve in my right elbow relocated.  My right arm is my swinging arm.

I swing the GPZ7000 10 hours with not so much as a twinge.  When I take a break it's not because I am worn out, it's only to get a sandwich or a drink, or drive to a new location.

The harness "Pro Swing 45" is an absolute must.  The Swing Assist arm is also another must.  If you don't like it, it is because you do not have it adjusted correctly, and you are trying to use it the way Minelab recommends.

First,  forget about using the "J" rods on both sides and the yoke that goes across your chest.  Only use the "J" rod under the arm you swing with.  In my case that is the right arm.

Second, have someone help you in adjusting the harness correctly.  From the middle of your waist at the back where the rod snaps into the wide belt, adjust that only far enough out that the rod, when it runs under your arm stays very close to your body.  You don't want your arm bumping against  the J rod as you swing.  You want it tight to your body.  When you get that adjustment right, put electrical tape around the adjustment screw so it stays how you adjusted it.

Third.  Where the rod goes up inside the shoulder strap, you want it HIGH!  High enough that it actually lifts the strap off of your shoulder.   When you pull down on the bungee you do not want to feel that strap touching your shoulder no matter how hard you pull.  What you should feel is the weight, being transferred down and under your arm and pushing the wide belt around your back out and away from you.  Basically you will feel no weight at all.  Again when you get this adjusted correctly, electrical tape.  Then also tape the joints on the J rod so they do not pull apart.

I have gone through this with too many customers to count.  "I don't like it."  Really?  Put it on.  What don't you like about it?  Are you right handed or left handed?

I do the adjustments I have just described and 100% of the time the response has been, "Holy crap, what a difference, the GPZ weighs nothing now."  I had a customer that I sent his GPZ to him in California, he said he could only swing for 2 hours at a time.  Once he got over to Las Vegas to go out for his training I rigged him right.  He swung for 8 hours that day, only stopping for lunch.  Zero problems.

Trust me, if you don't like it, it is only because it has not been adjusted correctly, or you are trying to use that YOKE system across the front of your chest, which to my way of thinking is worthless and cumbersome.

Doc

• Like 1