Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Unitedstatesofamerica1

What kind of stone is this?

Looks to me like some sort of conglomerate.  The older rock looks like it has the quartz nodules and the younger rock is some sort of concretion or limestone building.

• Like 1

Smash it with a hammer and show a picture of the inside.

• Like 1

Sample needs a cleaning first using a stiff plastic brush or a brass brush.  Be careful with the yellow mineral.  I see what looks like 3 distinct parts of this sample; the yellow, radiating crystals, the mammalian gray/white material & the "chalky" white area.  Once cleaned, test each part for hardness, streak, fizz test with weak acid or warm vinegar.  Report your findings.

• Like 1

The "yellow lines" are crystals. I'm thinking aragonite, but I can't tell for sure from the photos. The third photo shows some chalcedony. Both appear to have grown on whatever the host rock is. 

And please, don't smash it as a previous poster suggested. The interesting parts are most likely surface deposits and breaking it open isn't likely to show us anything new.

• Like 1

Well, having mulled over the photos, here is my best quests with no other info, using one of the photos:

Raubsville Stone Annotated_20171218b.jpg

Edited by 4meter
  • Like 1

I'm going with a piece of quartz with an overgrowth of iron stained tremolite and containing some spotty mineralization.

Here's a few links that will help you understand the Geology of where your hunting:

Geology Map 

Geology of Northhampton County 1911

• Like 1