Nugget Shooter Forums
moody

New to the Forum....And First Gold Detected!

Hello Everyone!

My name is Moody and I just recently joined this forum. Before that, I spent a couple weeks reading through old posts and learning about detecting. There is so much valuable information being shared here and it's been really helpful to me. I decided it was time to join and start contributing myself.

I bought a Gold Bug 2 and started reading everything I could about the detector. I searched through this forum and paid close attention to those mentioning the GB2. I watched the videos on the "I Brake For Bedrock" YouTube channel and learned a ton.

After scoring a nice off-road vehicle to help me get around in the goldfields, I was ready to get out!  I did some research and found an area that was known to produce gold in the past, so I decided to start there. After hiking for a while, I found a spot that looked like it could be good. I detected the area, but was only finding fragments of wire and hot rocks. I came back to the spot a couple days later equipped with a shovel and did some digging. I was able to remove some overburden and get close to the bedrock.

Later that afternoon, I was carefully going over my area and got a good sounding zip zip. I ran my green scoop over the GB2 until there was only a tiny bit of material left. I used my finger to see what was left in the scoop (eyes looking for a piece of wire), when all of the sudden, I see GOLD!  I couldn't believe my eyes!  After doing a happy dance, I sat there and really soaked up the moment. This was a huge achievement for me and it felt incredible!  Not much longer after that, I got back to detecting and was able to recover another tiny speck. It's such a great feeling to know that I can detect these tiny pieces.

It was an incredible afternoon that I will never forget!  Thanks to everyone who posts and shares information on this forum! I look forward to being a contributing member here =).

IMG_5115.JPG

IMG_5120.JPG

• Like 14

Congrats. Everyone will always remember their very first nugget. My memory is still as vivid as the day I found it.

• Like 1

WTG..! :yesss: Presenting Mr. Happy Dance: :wee: :4chsmu1:

Swamp

• Like 1

Moody, welcome to the forum!! :D

You are a perfect example of why Bill started Nuggetshooter forums, first and foremost was to educate and then contributing so others can learn as well, and then sharing of what you've learned and found with your new knowledge of gold prospescting, nugget shooting, and other activities,  well done! :thumbsupanim

Congratulations on finding your first gold, a memory you will never forget!!! :yesss:

Thanks again for joining the family here!

• Like 3

Well done! Hope you find many more.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your first detected gold and welcome aboard!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moody said:

I bought a Gold Bug 2 and started reading everything I could about the detector. I searched through this forum and paid close attention to those mentioning the GB2. I watched the videos on the "I Brake For Bedrock" YouTube channel and learned a ton.

Buying that Gold Bug II  was a great decision.  Thank You for mentioning my Channel.  I hope you find many more pieces :head:

• Like 3

I definitely brake for bedrock! Come to mention, better go check my brakes. Nice going on the gold.

• Like 3

You are going to be a heck of a detector operator if you found gold that size.

Well done and welcome.

• Like 3

The journey begins-kudos-John

• Like 3

Congratulations, Moody...and welcome to the forum...Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

Nothing like the first detected nugget. Congratulations. 

• Like 1

Good work and gold Moody ... Me thinks you are still in a good 'mood'! (sorry couldn't resist) The extra work digging the over burden is a sign of good things coming to you in the future! Keep up the good work. Oh ... And welcome to the madness on this forum! :old:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congrats! :yesss:

Glad you got some. Ahh....that first nugget, almost like your first kiss :)
Tom H.

• Like 1

Well done....I can close my eyes and see the spot and remember my first piece, the little slug fell  out of the sand covering the bedrock, my mate wore that piece as a pendant for many years...

• Like 1

Congrats Moody. . .  That's how it's done. .  gather a little knowledge .. pick up a good machine .. do some research ..  work for it .. reap the rewards.:yesss: 

Yup those are tiny pieces , but the memories you will have forever are HUGE.  Good job!!  Good luck on finding their bothers -n- sisters...

• Like 1

Nice going moody!! Keep them coming, theres gotta be more!:Diggin_a_hole:

Edited by Alwaysdirty
Spelling
  • Like 1

Congratulations !!  :thumbsupanim

Your 'story' should be a good lesson for all who are wanting and trying to score some gold with a metal detector.

Looking forward to seeing what you'll dig up next.

Luke

• Like 3

Good job and congratulations!

• Like 1

Thanks again guys!  I headed back to my spot and only found tiny pieces of trash in the immediate area.  A few days later I decided to try a new area, several miles north. I hiked through rugged terrain until i found a nice looking gully. I got my Gold Bug 2 dialed in and started carefully working the area. Target after target ended up being bird shot, but I didn't care. It felt good to dig the targets and practice the recovery process. I was happy detecting these small bird shot pieces and felt like I would find gold if it was there. I used a screwdriver and a straw to clear the bedrock cracks. (Thanks Adam and Boulder Dash for that tip.)

Near the end of the afternoon, I dug out another piece of bird shot. I checked the spot again, once i pocketed the bird shot and there was still a signal. I got down and looked and saw a very small piece of gold still in the crack. Yes!!  It was an awesome day!

IMG_5178.JPG

• Like 5

Some days it's just like that.  But you persisted and got some gold anyways.  :thumbsupanim

When you're finding targets like that, the area hasn't been detected or at least very well.  You now know there is gold in that gully.  There should be more.  There's also 36 fewer pieces of trash to pick up next time around.  If it's a good hike and nobody else it getting in there, it's a good thing to clean up that trash.  After awhile, most targets will be gold.  :head:

Keep at it and good luck out there.

Luke

• Like 3

You're the man.  And I really admire that you took the time to educate yourself before heading out into the field.

I think you would probably agree with me that the reason you were successful is because you headed to the field with a wealth of knowledge.  Without that knowledge you probably would not have known what looked good and what didn't.

You are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the prospecting world as soon as you get about 10 to 20 trips under your belt.

Congratulations and welcome the the forum,

Doc

• Like 1