Nugget Shooter Forums
DOC

A little dink at the end of the day, training a friend

I took a friend of mine out for his first exposure to Gold Prospecting.  His name is Nate, he is a Nevada Highway Trooper, and my neighbor.  As I also was a police officer the two of us hit it off immediately when we met 8 years ago.  He is the range master for the entire State of Nevada Highway Patrol.

He's a huge hunter, deer, elk, antelope, etc.  So he loves the out doors.  So I had promised I would take him out gold prospecting.  I was letting him use the Gold Monster 1000.

After a couple of hours of explaining geology to him, and some quick explanation of the GM1000 and the differences between VLF, pulse induction etc. off we went.  I was scaring up targets with the GPZ and then calling him over and letting him dig the target; hoping he would find a little nugget.  Well he soon got tired of having to walk all the way over to me to dig tin foil and specks of aluminum and lead.  So I let him do his thing. 

He was quite diligent and thorough in his approach.  He was digging plenty of trash on his own.  We were working a gully where I had taken out about 19 nuggets and I was sure there were a couple of dinks still hiding there .  

No luck.  It was getting around 2:30 and we had agreed we would head back home around 3:00 pm.  So I am just sort of wandering around about 20 feet up the hill from the gully when I come upon a little flat area, that would be a perfect resting place for a nugget.  So I get a little target sound.  I am convinced it is probably a piece of trash.  I can see Nate he is only 20 yards away.  So rather than make him walk over, I figure I will kick some dirt off of it first and see if it moves, (meaning it's shallow and probably trash) or if it is deeper, in that case maybe being a better chance it is gold, I will call Nate over to dig it.  So I kick about two inches of dirt away, and sure enough the target moves.  So I assume it's trash.  I go ahead and isolate the target anyway, just so I won't have to deal with a little piece of lead the next time I am out there, and what do you know.  It's a little nugget.

I called Nate over and asked him if he could see the nugget in the plastic scoop full of about 8 like size pieces of rock.  He couldn't see it.  You know how nuggets come out of the ground, usually they are indiscernible until you put a little water on them.  So I told him go ahead and just dribble a little water into the scoop.  He did and the nugget immediately revealed itself.  "Holy cow, that is so cool."

So I gave the nugget to Nate as a remembrance of his first gold prospecting outing and so he would have a test nugget.  He seemed over the moon about this little piece of gold.  I know he would have rather been able to find it himself, but I was sort of shocked that even I found it.  Seemed like it was going to be one of those "slim pickin's" days.  However, he really enjoyed himself and it was a beautiful day and we found a nugget; so how can you complain?

I get a great thrill out of introducing people to this fantastic hobby of ours.

BTW, I have found with the GM1000, being it is as sensitive as it is, it is sometimes hard to use your hand to sweep a little pile of dirt over the coil, because the coil actually reacts to your hand.  I have found using two scoops to half the dirt with is very helpful.  That way you are keeping your hand away from the coil and only using scoops.  You'll notice Nate has two scoops laying on the ground next to him.  He found it less frustrating to use two scoops.

Doc

2017-12-01 13.51.47.jpg

2017-12-01 13.18.08.jpg

• Like 9

WTG DOC! :yesss:

Good on you for giving it to the guy also.
Hes going to be playing with it for a while. :)
Tom H.

Fun in the outback, a day to remember. :yesss:

Old Tom 

When all is said and done, it's a little piece of yellow metal.  Certainly not more valuable than a friendship.  I can always find more gold, friends are much more rare.  Besides, next time a State Trooper stops me I am going to drop his name like a hot horseshoe.  :D

Doc

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, DOC said:

friends are much more rare. 

Doc

Uh huh....... How true it is Doc, how true it is.......

Doc's reference to a "2 scoop" isolation technique bears some expansion.  Two scoops are handy not only when using a higher frequency VLF such as the Gold Bug 2 or the Gold Monster.  I've been using a 2 scoop strategy for 3 or 4 years but primarily in conjunction with my GPX5000 and GPZ7000.  I use a stiff plastic ice cube scoop (available at Smart & Final and a few big box stores) and the familiar green scoop shown in Doc's accompanying photo.  The ice cube scoop enables me to move quantity.  I typically capture the signal-emitting target on the first or second scoop.  Final isolation thereafter takes under 30 seconds.

• Like 2