Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scott_Paulsen

Jackass Flats.

Recommended Posts

I am wondering if it is safe to prospect out in Jackass Flats alone camping for a few days? Thanks for the help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely it is safe.  It's about a 15 minute drive from a gas station, and you can walk out if stuck.

Next, I would be sure you're not on state trust land where you can't prospect, unless you pay thousands for the permit.  Most of the place you mentioned is state trust land.  After that, make sure you weren't high grading someone's claim since the BLM land around there is nearly totally claimed.  A few miles from there nearly all the land is open, but that could be because it's out of the gold belt, but still need to be sure you are on unclaimed land.  If there's any confusion on that, best to stick to the club claims in that area.  The GPAA has hundreds of acres of claims in that area and so does road runner.

Other than that, the only thing I do for safety is to wear leather boots and snake gators for the rattle snakes.  Probably been out hundreds of times, but twice rattlers were problems.  Then there's the camping stuff: don't get lost, let someone know where you're at, be cautious about the valuables you leave at your campsite when you're away.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chrisski said:

Absolutely it is safe.  It's about a 15 minute drive from a gas station, and you can walk out if stuck.

Next, I would be sure you're not on state trust land where you can't prospect, unless you pay thousands for the permit.  Most of the place you mentioned is state trust land.  After that, make sure you weren't high grading someone's claim since the BLM land around there is nearly totally claimed.  A few miles from there nearly all the land is open, but that could be because it's out of the gold belt, but still need to be sure you are on unclaimed land.  If there's any confusion on that, best to stick to the club claims in that area.  The GPAA has hundreds of acres of claims in that area and so does road runner.

Other than that, the only thing I do for safety is to wear leather boots and snake gators for the rattle snakes.  Probably been out hundreds of times, but twice rattlers were problems.  Then there's the camping stuff: don't get lost, let someone know where you're at, be cautious about the valuables you leave at your campsite when you're away.

Thanks. I have a camping permit and I am a gpaa member. I live in San Diego and it is far to go for less than a few days. Unfortunately I am by myself and have not many people yet, or people willing to go out with a greenhorn to prospecting. Being out in nature is my home so I am not worried about the wildlife or weather. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, middleforkminer2 said:

 Safe???  Define "safe".... From what???   Life, is not, and never can be "safe"...

By relatively safe I mean people won’t loot or shoot up my truck with my camping stuff in it while I am out in the 4wheeler detecting. I understand all things come with risks. I was wondering if a lot of people go out there during the week drinking and raising hell. Having fun is fine of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've hunted there nearly 20 years and only encountered two problems... There's two guys in a large white pick up that come out with several different high powered rifles that don't take into account there are often prospectors roaming all over LSD and shoot indiscriminately ... I called them on it one day and they got downright hostile and even slightly threatening ....  I packed  up my stuff and moved about 5 miles away... Another time quite a while ago I was hunting on the Gypsy Moth and a couple guys were near the big slab shooting in all kinds of directions and bullets were ricocheting everywhere including over my head!  But considering I hunted LSD darn near everyday for those years, those were the only two issue I ever had....But things did get worse after BLM closed the ground near Lake Pleasant and all those city slickers started coming over to the general vicinity of LSD ...Before then, I often had the whole area all to my lonesome!  But do make sure you've got the state land permit (you can order on line) ...Still can't prospect on state land... You need it to even pass over state land on your way to open federal lands and club claims.... Good Luck, Cheers, Unc

Edited by Uncle Ron
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott... if you are going to be there during the week days you shouldn't have any problems. I tend to stay away during the week ends, that is generally when the rowdy ones come to drink and shoot. You'll probably run into some of the retired GPAA and Roadrunner club members out there this time of of year. I'm hoping to get out to the area next week if I can get my old mule ready by then. Have fun and save some gold for the rest of us.   Jim

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heres a few other places to camp close to the main area. Its a LOT quieter if your there on the weekend.

(pinned in green)

Tom H.

scott.jpg

Edited by TomH
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TomH said:

Its a LOT quieter if your there on the weekend

Those must be the "Sun City" areas...55 and older communities, but I like them!!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

I've hunted there nearly 20 years and only encountered two problems... There's two guys in a large white pick up that come out with several different high powered rifles that don't take into account there are often prospectors roaming all over LSD and shoot indiscriminately ... I called them on it one day and they got downright hostile and even slightly threatening ....  I packed  up my stuff and moved about 5 miles away... Another time quite a while ago I was hunting on the Gypsy Moth and a couple guys were near the big slab shooting in all kinds of directions and bullets were ricocheting everywhere including over my head!  But considering I hunted LSD darn near everyday for those years, those were the only two issue I ever had....But things did get worse after BLM closed the ground near Lake Pleasant and all those city slickers started coming over to the general vicinity of LSD ...Before then, I often had the whole area all to my lonesome!  But do make sure you've got the state land permit (you can order on line) ...Still can't prospect on state land... You need it to even pass over state land on your way to open federal lands and club claims.... Good Luck, Cheers, Unc

Thank

 

3 hours ago, TomH said:

Heres a few other places to camp close to the main area. Its a LOT quieter if your there on the weekend.

(pinned in green)

Tom H.

scott.jpg

Thank you

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SanDomingoJim said:

Scott... if you are going to be there during the week days you shouldn't have any problems. I tend to stay away during the week ends, that is generally when the rowdy ones come to drink and shoot. You'll probably run into some of the retired GPAA and Roadrunner club members out there this time of of year. I'm hoping to get out to the area next week if I can get my old mule ready by then. Have fun and save some gold for the rest of us.   Jim

Yep, I just bought a 4wheeler and want to take it out and try it out and also to use my new Minelab Monster. I also am thinking about going out there next week. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd recommend staying at the Maricopa Group itself.  It's only ten to fifteen minutes pass the flats.  That's the only GPAA claim in the area, still hundreds of acres.  Some of the others GPAA claims from the 2014 guide are no longer for GPAA members. Just check the latest pick and shovel gazette and it will show you the open claims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, chrisski said:

I'd recommend staying at the Maricopa Group itself.  It's only ten to fifteen minutes pass the flats.  That's the only GPAA claim in the area, still hundreds of acres.  Some of the others GPAA claims from the 2014 guide are no longer for GPAA members. Just check the latest pick and shovel gazette and it will show you the open claims.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don`t mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but i`m wondering if there are not better places to go that are closer to you ? I would seriously reconsider driving all the way out here. Doesent the GPAA have claims in the Potholes area (Yuma) or in the Chocolate Mtns?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, adam said:

I don`t mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but i`m wondering if there are not better places to go that are closer to you ? I would seriously reconsider driving all the way out here. Doesent the GPAA have claims in the Potholes area (Yuma) or in the Chocolate Mtns?

I like to go all over. I am retired and like to camp and started to get into prospecting. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair enough , Best of luck on your prospecting Adventures ~!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×