Nugget Shooter Forums
TomH

Specimen from last week.

I got the specie all cleaned up and took some macro shots of it. Just experimenting with different lighting/light box and such.

If anyone has tips for taking close up pics of gold, please let me know. Im using a Sony NEX3 manual F stop at 22.

Just would like the close ups clearer. Or, my camera just might not be able to do it.

Open them all the way up to see the detail. Im surprised how much fine gold is in this piece and its intricate patterns. It also "ohms" out all the way around, so its all through the nugget.

Definitely want to get back up to this spot and do some slower hill side hunting :)

Tks

Tom

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

3 Hours of Christmas Music _ Traditional Instrumental Christmas Songs Playlist _ Piano & Orchestra - YouTube.htm

Edited by TomH
  • Like 18

Wow !!  Very nice....:droolin:

"Dang" Tom,...  That's Nice !!! 

I'll bet you didn't have to pick and shovel much to get that one off the hillside;.........  Let me know if you need help finding it's Bothersome -Brother??,... Stupid-Sister??...  Cursed-Cousin??... Nomadic-Nephew??... Nasty-Niece??... Etc., Etc.,Etc......:4chsmu1:  Gary

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GDM/PV said:

"Dang" Tom,...  That's Nice !!! 

I'll bet you didn't have to pick and shovel much to get that one off the hillside;.........  Let me know if you need help finding it's Bothersome -Brother??,... Stupid-Sister??...  Cursed-Cousin??... Nomadic-Nephew??... Nasty-Niece??... Etc., Etc.,Etc......:4chsmu1:  Gary

Thanks Gary.

It was in a small trib almost to the top of the mountain. Only about 6 or 8 inches deep. I scooted around for about 5 mins on the hillside (running out of time) but need to grid it.

Plan on going back to hit just that spot. Had a lot of good indicators. Rotten quartz, ironstone,greenstone and trumpet plants....which are rare in this area.

Gives me something to think about trying to fall asleep at night!

Hope I can find its Mother! :)

Tom H.

• Like 2

Your gettin close Tom. Nice speci. I was wondering if it Ohmed.  it looks well shot through. I'd hit the hillside too. good luck on more.:thumbsupanim
AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

Great find Tom. I think your camera work is fine. Try some different background colors and various lighting. Purple works great with gold. 

• Like 3

Beautiful Specimen Tom! Nice little collector piece. 

• Like 1

Very nice find Tom. Great pics too. I hope you clean house up there or should I say hillside! 

• Like 1

That looks a lot better cleaned up Tom! I was there when he checked it for continuity and it certainly is a nice specimen. I would be all over that hillside like white on rice. You may get super lucky and find a nice pocket in situ. :brows:

• Like 1

Very nice looking piece!!  Congrats

• Like 1

That sure is a beautiful specimen, Tom!

• Like 1

RIGHTEOUS :th: John

• Like 1

Really nice find. Congrats.

• Like 1

Tom,

Good start on the pictures.  I know what you mean about wanting everything to be in focus and as good as you can get.  I dealt with the problem also.

One problem is depth of field.  Often times the auto setting on your camera is not what is needed.  I had a Pentax camera (non digital) for many years and I could understand my depth of field very well.  I could judge the time and the light and get the background out of focus and the two or three inches in the right place for the picture (flowers at the time as I was not hunting for nuggets).  I've read my camera setting several times and I seem to be getting worse at photography rather than better with my Canon.  I've discovered that I need more light most of the time and I need a tripod.  (My phone camera or my small fixed focal length camera often times takes better pictures.)

The way I dealt with this helped with the second problem.  When I added more light then the shadow became worse (direct sunlight) so you have to make a light box.  I bought one from a camera shop and used it on my prized nuggets.  It let me change the background colors and not move the camera or change the settings once I got it right.  That light box is now in the garage.  The light box got rid of most of the shadow.  

There was a posting years ago on how to make a light box.  Let me see if I can find it.

I could not but I found this:  

http://www.handmadeology.com/studio-quality-product-photography-with-a-12-set-up/ 

When in doubt, just look for a YouTube video and it will show you how to do it right.

Mitchel

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, adam said:

You got a specimen ?!  What does it weigh? :yesss:

3.2 grammys.....probably 2 grams after the rock is gone..

Tom H.

• Like 2

What a BEAUTY!!  As for lenses and settings I'm only familiar with my iPhone 6S.  I purchased a few after market macro and telescopic lenses.  That helps with some of the depth of focus problems.  But the camera you are using is a much better unit and I'm not sure which extra lenses would achieve your objectives.  Seems like you are doing a great job with what you've got.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2017 at 7:53 PM, TomH said:

Plan on going back to hit just that spot. Had a lot of good indicators. Rotten quartz, ironstone,greenstone and trumpet plants....which are rare in this area.

Words to live by right there. Also red clay and old handstacks :thumbsupanim

• Like 3