Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

New buggy!

My friend James and I went halves on a buggy for desert travel. Now that cooler weather has returned to AZ...time to get out and play :D

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0515.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

IMAG0518.jpg

• Like 7

VW

VW.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azdigger said:

VW

VW.jpg

I've seen that before. Best looking snow cat out there :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

On 11/18/2017 at 11:28 AM, ArcticDave said:

My friend James and I went halves on a buggy for desert travel. Now that cooler weather has returned to AZ...time to get out and play :D

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

Is someone local building these..? Seems to me I saw one nearly identical in an
outing pix.. Or are we looking at the same toy..? Regardless, very kewl..! :thumbsupanim

Swamp

• Like 1

Nope that was it. Seems to be a one of a kind. I did drive to the outing feed, so It could have shown up in somebody's pictures. Ripped it all apart after the outing and rewired it, along with some other preventative maintenance stuff. :)

• Like 1

Finally got Patches finished enough to take it for a test run yesterday. We went for about a 20 mile loop through the Vulture mountains. I am IMPRESSED. Point and shoot... and it will climb some crazy stuff with ease. It is short enough to be super nimble on the trail and will flat go faster on rough ground than I normally care to. 

I built a cargo rack for the top for beepers and whatnot, added a windshield for the winter(will be removed for most of the year). We also added hood and side covering for cactus protection. Re- Jetting the carb was fun. It's an old Zenith that you can't get parts for. Ordered a set of jet reamers and soldered up the jets and reamed to a more appropriate size. That worked pretty good. Also I rewired the entire thing, eliminating several yards of unused wires going all over the place. Ran all wires for the upper lights inside the tubing for a clean appearance and less chance of trail damage.  

Bad news is after making it home and unloading, I came back outside to grab the key...and it was on fire! :yikes:

The old generator gave up the ghost and was happily burning away. Unhooked the battery and cooled everything off before something else got damaged. Time for a new generator or convert to an alternator. 

By far the most comfortable off road rig I have ever owned. Takes on the terrain like a champ. 

Aside from the generator, I still need to make the lower rack over the fuel tank and tidy up some loose ends from the construction. 

Old School...I like it. :old:

IMAG0541.jpg

IMAG0542.jpg

IMAG0545.jpg

• Like 4

I just picked me up a used 4 wheel drive 4 wheeler with a winch. Also I bought a Minelab Monster and 35 pinpointer. Ready to head to Yuma Monday to Potholes claim. Anybody else interested in going? For warned I am a Greenhorn. I have a drywasher and detector and want to give this a shot. I plan to be out 2-4 Days. I am a member of SPMA here in San Diego and also a GPAA member so I do have access to these claims. I will post pics of my rig. Be warned it is nowhere near the scale of most of you guys but it is a start for me. Plus I do not have $15,000 to put down on a side by side. Lol

Edited by Scott_Paulsen
Added

Well if he catches calico bass,. :thumbsupanim

AzNuggetBob

• Haha 1

I'm just  kiddin ya Scott. Im sure someone will help you out here. AzNuggetBob

• Haha 1

Just now, AzNuggetBob said:

Well if he catches calico bass,. :thumbsupanim

AzNuggetBob

I grew up working on sport boats in cali and then I heard about gold.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I go out on the boats sometimes, more when the Bluefin Tuna are close. I got 2 bluefin tuna this year. I like to do a bit of everything, fish, hunt, gold prospect, camp. 

• Like 2

I didn't have much money to be buying a nice side by side either. Thats why we went with a buggy. I think we have about $3300 in it. Cheaper than a lot of used quads...

Quads work great though, rode them for many years. 

Edited by ArcticDave
Spelling

58 minutes ago, AzNuggetBob said:

and then I heard about gold.:D

Lol...truth:hiker:

if it gets you there and gets you back and you are happy that is all that matters...

if you see Ed and Claudia down there get them a chat...they will be drywashing.

fred

• Like 2

When you start doing this, strap your detectors down!

buggy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, fredmason said:

if it gets you there and gets you back and you are happy that is all that matters...

if you see Ed and Claudia down there get them a chat...they will be drywashing.

fred

Will do

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

I did have much money to be buying a nice side by side either. Thats why we went with a buggy. I think we have about $3300 in it. Cheaper than a lot of used quads...

Yes sir, it will get me back and forth very well. Who knows as I get more into this maybe my standards will increase. Haha

Lol...truth:hiker:

I did have much money to be buying a nice side by side either. Thats why we went with a buggy. I think we have about $3300 in it. Cheaper than a lot of used quads...

Very nice buggy by the way. 

• Like 1

Scott-Not sure a winch will do much good pulling you out, nothing to hook it to.  A pull pal is the closest thing that may work with a winch.  It's like a land anchor.  Why it costs so much, I don't know.  Only other recommendation I heard for a winch was to tie it to a spare tire and bury the tire 3' deep.  I'm sure that would work, but......

A couple of crossed sticks of rebar driven in the dirt will make a dandy anchor for a quad. Cheap and easy to carry. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chrisski said:

Scott-Not sure a winch will do much good pulling you out, nothing to hook it to.  A pull pal is the closest thing that may work with a winch.  It's like a land anchor.  Why it costs so much, I don't know.  Only other recommendation I heard for a winch was to tie it to a spare tire and bury the tire 3' deep.  I'm sure that would work, but......

Hopefully I do not get it stuck. I have a bunch of vehicle recovery gear if that happens. It’s all part of the adventure anyway isn’t it. 

I don't have a winch.  I got my vehicle recovery gear: tow straps and d connectors when I got stuck in a sandy wash.  Loneliest three hours of my life all alone.  I basically had to build a road out of rocks and jack the truck on top of it.  Now I have the gear to get out if someone drives by. 

Certainly was an adventure, afterwards, but not before.

43 minutes ago, chrisski said:

I don't have a winch.  I got my vehicle recovery gear: tow straps and d connectors when I got stuck in a sandy wash.  Loneliest three hours of my life all alone.  I basically had to build a road out of rocks and jack the truck on top of it.  Now I have the gear to get out if someone drives by. 

Certainly was an adventure, afterwards, but not before.

I have a 2 wheel drive Tundra that i have done some upgrades on and have been stuck a few times. I learned to have my own recovery gear. I was stranded half off a cliff and camped out for 3 days till I started getting low on food. I then had to hike out a few miles and get a ride to an area I had cell service. To say the least I have a good amount of recovery gear. I have a winch on it because it came with it. I also will use my ATV to hunt in Wyoming and other places besides the desert. I see why you also have recovery geat. Funny how we always have to learn after the fact 

Buy a Toyota and you wont have to worry about getting stuck :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200: PS AD WTG on the Mad Max rail :thumbsupanim

Edited by Mike C...
  • Like 3