Nugget Shooter Forums
microsniper

Australia?

Hey all, Im planning a trip down under finally and I'm just starting my real research.  learning about tengraph ,  geomaps, miners rights, access to leases and tenements etc...  Got basic areas, and Gold and Ghosts volume 2,3,4...  (willing to share these by the way).   Probably going to join one of the prospecting clubs in western Australia too.    Iv got my SDC and the 4500..   (would get a GPZ but I need plane tickets!!).     I would love to make some connections with folks who are there, here, or both.   Or If anyone here would enjoy sharing their experiences of past trips that would be very interesting!     Cheers!

• Like 2

Im a little jealous.....There are several people that have real knowledge of being there and finding gold. Hopefully they will chime in...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, microsniper said:

Or If anyone here would enjoy sharing their experiences of past trips that would be very interesting!     Cheers!r both.

Fred Mason has been :4chsmu1:Mike C...:200:

1 hour ago, adam said:

Im a little jealous.....There are several people that have real knowledge of being there and finding gold. Hopefully they will chime in...

Gee Adam, With all the gold you find in Arizona, you should be able to afford a six month trip down under. If so, watch out Aussies, there won't be any gold left after he leaves.:tisk-tisk:

Yep Jealous as well, always have wanted to make the trip, but never seem to have the extra cash :89:

Good luck and enjoy the adventure! :)
Tom H.

Maybe I can get in on your 'second trip' in a few years.....

Sounds awesome.   :thumbsupanim

Ok don't be jealous yet!  Im just putting out the feelers, not getting too excited till iv got enough money saved to do it right.  I always like to have at least one good bucket list item to work towards... otherwise what the hell am I doing with my life:idunno::89:

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

Yep Jealous as well, always have wanted to make the trip, but never seem to have the extra cash :89:

We should talk Bill, I've been down enough times to have a few tricks under my belt to save heaps of cash on airfare, expenses while there and know some pretty good places to go. I fly down, rent a vehicle and do my own thing, haven't gone on a formal tour in years and know some awesome places to go. My comment in the other thread about some trips costing 10k was when I went on extended multi week trips part of which included spending time partying in Sydney and on the Gold Coast. The trip can be done quite reasonably priced if planned properly.

Edited by jjbond
  • Like 4

Yep, agreed..   Iv put together a few  international multi month missions and sometimes the hardest part is just deciding to pull the trigger on a ticket.  A lot of times its actually cheaper to be traveling (depending on country)  than spending money at home depending on how your willing to go at it.       Jen what was your fav part of Australia?   And is there anything you would do differently if ya went again?   

Absolutely agree MicroSniper..... I first started going to Aus when I moved to the Gold Coast, Queensland in 95. Long before my prospecting days.... I returned to North America for a few years and then moved to Sydney in approx. 2002, again before prospecting. Each year I was not in Aus as a resident, I was however flying down for my yearly vacation, usually two weeks at a time, then when I started prospecting, extended my holidays. Most of my time pre prospecting has been spent either on the Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise or in Manly, northern beaches above Sydney. That's where my friends are, that's where the beaches are and that was my vacation. Once prospecting became part of my life, I started spending half my vacation in one of the above mentioned places and then the other half, usually two weeks in places like the Golden Triangle in Victoria, or Tibooburra, NSW. There area some places east of Sydney you can drive to for the day but really, quite far, some from the Gold Coast, Claremont etc... I've never prospected in Qld. The best bang for the buck in my opinion (least travel time from Sydney is flying into Sydney, then connecting to Melbourne, rent a car/ute and you can drive a couple hours north to the Whipstick Forest area, Moliagul, Raywood, Kangaroo Flat, Bendigo, Ballarat, etc in Victoria (the golden triangle) and this would be my best from a "quick trip down under stand point"....

One trick I learned LONG ago is Alaska Airlines are mileage partners with Qantas. Each flight round trip from LA to SYD/MEL gets you enough miles to get you a round trip on Alaska so once you do one trip, down, you always have enough Alaska miles to get you to LA for free... so you're always looking at prices from LA to SYD, not worrying about the price to get to LA. Also, you can fly from LA to SYD for under $1,000 round trip in the off season if you are flexible on your dates, and this doesn't require booking months in advance...

Different parts of Aus are favorites to me for different reasons, gold vs holidays. :D

I have a meeting to jump into but will add my 'what I'd do differently' content when done that meeting.. yes I would do one thing differently.

Jen

Edited by jjbond
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jjbond said:

Absolutely agree MicroSniper..... I first started going to Aus when I moved to the Gold Coast, Queensland in 95. Long before my prospecting days.... I returned to North America for a few years and then moved to Sydney in approx. 2002, again before prospecting. Each year I was not in Aus as a resident, I was however flying down for my yearly vacation, usually two weeks at a time, then when I started prospecting, extended my holidays. Most of my time pre prospecting has been spent either on the Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise or in Manly, northern beaches above Sydney. That's where my friends are, that's where the beaches are and that was my vacation. Once prospecting became part of my life, I started spending half my vacation in one of the above mentioned places and then the other half, usually two weeks in places like the Golden Triangle in Victoria, or Tibooburra, NSW. There area some places east of Sydney you can drive to for the day but really, quite far, some from the Gold Coast, Claremont etc... I've never prospected in Qld. The best bang for the buck in my opinion (least travel time from Sydney is flying into Sydney, then connecting to Melbourne, rent a car/ute and you can drive a couple hours north to the Whipstick Forest area, Moliagul, Raywood, Kangaroo Flat, Bendigo, Ballarat, etc in Victoria (the golden triangle) and this would be my best from a "quick trip down under stand point"....

One trick I learned LONG ago is Alaska Airlines are mileage partners with Qantas. Each flight round trip from LA to SYD/MEL gets you enough miles to get you a round trip on Alaska so once you do one trip, down, you always have enough Alaska miles to get you to LA for free... so you're always looking at prices from one of those cities, not worrying about the price to get to LA. Also, you can fly from LA to SYD for under $1,000 round trip in the off season if you are flexible on your dates, and this doesn't require booking months in advance...

Different parts of Aus are favorites to me for different reasons, gold vs holidays. :D

I have a meeting to jump into but will add my 'what I'd do differently' content when done that meeting.. yes I would do one thing differently.

Jen

Thanks for sharing Jen!  Good thinking on the Quantas-Alaska connection

• Like 1

I'll put you in contact with them down under...if you like.

Didn't take long, here is my first response from down under.

Hi RRD, ask him where he's planning to detect, then those in the area would offer to assist.

Qantas will even pay for all of you to get your passports, this months promotion, details below:

https://www.qantas.com/us/en/promotions/your-passport-s-on-us.html?alt_cam=am:qd:in:edm:redemail:passport2:16Nov17:int::fd:introduction-cta:ht&cid=DM3765&bid=526613118

Right now you can fly from LA to Melbourne for $1188 dollars.... a great deal, considering LA to Sydney is $1288.

https://www.qantas.com/us/en/flight-deals/international/flights-to-melbourne.html/economy/all/lowest

Jennifer

Edited by jjbond

The nugget was found in Victoria's Golden Triangle on a Friday. The area encompasses the historic gold mining towns Ballarat and Bendigo and stretches west to Stawell which is about 240km from Melbourne.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/i-couldnt-believe-my-eyes-victorian-prospector-unearths-145ounce-gold-nugget-20160824-gr0g4h.html

1482377755616nugget.jpg

Edited by Red_desert
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red_desert said:

The nugget was found in Victoria's Golden Triangle on a Friday. The area encompasses the historic gold mining towns Ballarat and Bendigo and stretches west to Stawell which is about 240km from Melbourne.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/i-couldnt-believe-my-eyes-victorian-prospector-unearths-145ounce-gold-nugget-20160824-gr0g4h.html

This is from last year... but still a nice nugget and backups my comment about how great the area is...

Jen

Last year, not as big of a nugget, as the July 2015 huge one (think I got the month right) but sure helps Minelab sell detectors after a good find is made. People not realizing how much work it is, go buy a detector to try their luck too.

Edited by Red_desert

Getting a little more feedback from down under...hey, even icons copied.

time of year will help thumbsup

Prepare his family !? neutral
Secure his job !( he could be here longer than he thinks)( but not long enough that immigration won't notice )
Take out the rights to the book ! ( and furure movie rights ) !
get him to think about how he will get the g o l d out of the country without being noticed ( good luck with that ). hmm
get him to bring water too ( as were all thirsty, and usually don't have enough to go round ) thumbsup

Edited by Red_desert

Here is another from down under.

A few years back a fella name Kevin or his name on here "CaliGoldDigger " visited Australia and needed some spots to go try.
I organised to meet him out at Tuena for a few days to have a pan and run my highbanker . His family camped out there and had a chance to really enjoy the Aussie bush and scenery and he even took home a bit of gold. It was an absolute pleasure to help him out so please let your friend know he is more than welcome to post up here as there will always be someone here to show him around. thumbsup

I did a trip with my family last year.  Air Tahiti had a deal LA to Tahiti including 3 nights stay.  Tahiti to New Zealand and then to Sydney and return trip for $1,200 a person.  Try thinking outside the box with the airfare.  I did some panning near Ballarat and killed it.  Gold in every pan.  Aussies definition of getting gold is way different than mine.

Brownie 

• Like 2