Nugget Shooter Forums

A review

Anyone who uses the BLM LR2000 search function knows it can be a challenge to get meaningful results. Often the service is down but you aren't notified of a problem with the system until you go through the whole complex search process to discover there was an "error". Frustrating at times.

Well it appears the BLM decided it was time to change the look and feel of the LR2000 search function. They notified users months ago that they were working on an improved version but they caught a lot of people by surprise when they introduced the NEW! IMPROVED! LR2000 on November 1 and shut down the functions of the OLD! BAD! LR2000 at the same time.

Problem was they didn't tell anyone. The old LR2000 still appears to be there and will allow you to do a search. That search returns an error, as mentioned earlier that's not unexpected or uncommon when using the LR2000. I use the LR2000 a lot when I need the most recent information on a land or claim case file. It took me nearly 24 hours after the changeover to get fed up enough with the old LR2000 not working to try the new LR2000 which has been available but not working for the last nine months. I'm hoping the BLM will set up that old LR2000 web address to redirect to the new LR2000 page so others won't have to waste their time beating a dead search system like I did.

The old LR2000 was clunky. It reminded me of an old unfamiliar broken down right hand drive truck with a Japanese language repair manual. It was really that awkward and counter intuitive. There were many blogs, manuals and videos devoted to explaining the esoteric mysteries of the BLM's version of public access to public records, I even helped write a few myself. I made good use of the old LR2000 on the days it was working and I was glad to have it when I could get results but it needed fixing.

The new LR2000 has a cleaner less intimidating interface with a slightly simpler set of options. I really don't like the "black topo" background the BLM now puts on all their web pages. If you like the black topo theme you are probably going to like the look of these new search pages better than the old ones.

The behind the scenes search function has changed a lot from the old LR2000. I tried it on several browsers and three operating systems. I had problems on every browser and system. The Search seems to hang in some circumstances, in others it returns results as quickly as the old LR2000. The actual search itself seems to be slower sometimes. Every browser I tried had problems when it had run a few searches. The searches would eventually hang and several loops would keep the browser so busy it would lock up. That's not something I'm used to experiencing. This is a new system so I'm hoping the BLM will get these glitches out soon.

The results of each search now displays in a new interface. Essentially there will be a window frame on the results page with the document displayed inside the frame as a PDF. Like the old LR2000 there are options to download the document in several formats including Excel, PDF and HTML. You can now modify or start a new search from the results page.

Land Matters has made an effort to bypass the clunky old LR2000 interface and allow you to directly access any claims BLM serial register page directly with a few clicks on a map. This turned out to be a lot quicker way to get information on claims in a specific area without having to pound through the old LR2000. Being a direct live link to the BLM the information is as current as possible unlike other mapping programs that present static information updated every month or so.

When the unannounced changeover in LR2000 search systems happened it broke Land Matters system of direct access. With more than 380,000 mining claims being actively tracked Land Matters had a problem. Claims Advantage Members also get several reports a month. In the last two days Land Matters had released two reports with a combined total of more than 20,000 maps and direct links to a broken LR2000. That's 400,000 missing documents. Sometimes life can be.... interesting. :grr01:

Needless to say I have been busy. It took 24 hours but I deciphered the new LR2000 system fixed the links to the serial register pages and corrected, compiled and uploaded new member reports. The mining claim serial register pages linked to on the maps load more quickly than the old ones did. If you have any problems with those maps or the Member Reports please let me know.

Please try out the new LR2000 and share your experiences here. Try the Mining Claims Maps at Land Matters and marvel at the new search results. If you like the way the map link system works we can add the feature for a lot more types of research.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

WoW   Thank you for all this effort.

• Like 1

I and I know many others appreicate your dedication not only getting this done but letting everyone know that the old LR2000 is defunct, I'm sure many if not all wouldn't know about the new LR2000 being active and the old not working if you hadn't let us know!! :worship:

• Like 1

EDIT: For LR2000, I can't seem to figure out how to search for a specific sector like 6S 3E.  I see when I click AZ, it pops up 14 for the AZ Gila designation, but I can't see a box to check for a single township/range.  There is a drop down menu, but the township I'm looking for is located by the November campsite and not available in the check boxes.  I'll try again in the morning.

Clay, I appreciate the link.  I have been trying searches on the old LR2000 on and off for two months in Edge, explorer, and chrome, and the results have all come back empty.

Edited by chrisski

I couldn't go to sleep without figuring this out. Got it working.

The San Domingo Area would be a Pub Mc Geo Report> Select AZ>Check 0000 and change it to: something like 14 0060N 0030W>Active

When exported to excel, I like using a data sort function, and with the way the BLM makes the function, I can still use it, I just need to select the entire spreadsheet and then do the data sort because of the spacing.

Having trouble going to sleep with the excitement of this new toy!!

How come the 2017 claims have not closed yet?  I'm wondering if it's a flaw in the system?  Some of the claims showing 2017 the claimholders have said they have paid the fees, but the year does not say 2018 like most of the others.

Edited by chrisski

Miners still have till the end of the year to file their annual labor and BLM is also always behind .. John

14 hours ago, chrisski said:

IHow come the 2017 claims have not closed yet?  I'm wondering if it's a flaw in the system?  Some of the claims showing 2017 the claimholders have said they have paid the fees, but the year does not say 2018 like most of the others.

We have noticed the same thing. It's becoming an issue Chris. Last year the Arizona BLM had processed and closed 3,026 claims case files by November 1. This year they have only processed and closed 37.

California is about a year behind on their claims files processing. California BLM has the worst case processing record of any of the mining states. They are still working on closing files from two mining years ago.

Utah is the best and is usually up to date even during the heavy Sept 1 - December 30 mining case rush. Utah has processed about 1,500 mining claim case files since Sept 1. That's about the same as last year at this time and almost completes their workload from September 1. The folks at Utah BLM take their job seriously and try to meet the 5 day deadline for updating case files.

Arizona BLM is the training center for the nation. Arizona BLM is usually second in processing timeliness behind Utah. This year they are actually far behind California in their claims work. From second to dead last in a year. Same personnel same job. Arizona BLM isn't the only state dragging their feet  this year but they are the most obvious. We should know within the month whether this is just a glitch or an actual intentional work slowdown. I'm hoping it's just a glitch but Arizona BLM does have some of the most aggressive anti mining employees in the agency.

The BLM dragging their feet on claims case files is a real problem for miners. By delaying case work they are denying miners and prospectors a system that was supposed to enable everyone to know what any given claim's status is. The BLM lobbied for this system for decades and they finally got the right to receive notice of mining claims in 1976. Since then the cost for these informational filings has gone through the roof and the work we are paying those fees for is being delayed more and more.

We are keeping an eye on this trend and will report on it as things move along through the mining year.

Edited by clay

Clay,

You can certainly correct me if I'm wrong about this.

After talking with my partner, I can understand why some of these reflect 2017 still.  For someone filing a small miners waiver and that waiver was received prior to 1 Sep, that will still read 2017 until the affidavit of labor is received.  One has until 30 Dec to get the waiver in.  Until then, a case with a small miners waiver and no affidavit received and the current date is prior to 30 Dec will read active with last year until the affidavit is received.  Once the BLM receives and files the affidavit, it switches to the current filing year.  It won't be until 1 Jan that a claim with a small miners waiver without an affidavit will start to be processed to close.

For his claim, you can click on 2017 and see that the small miners waiver has been filed timely, but the affidavit is not in the record because he has until 30 Dec of this year to get the affidavit of labor to the BLM.  He usually sends both the waiver and affidavit at the same time and the BLM proesses it and updates the year (I don't think you can do this, but that's another story).  This year he just sent the waiver in without the affidavit and has 6 or 7 more weeks from today for the BLM to receive the affidavit before the BLM will close the claim.

I have not checked any of the others active 2017s, but I would guess this is the case. 

Edited by chrisski

I also agree that with hundreds of thousands of claims and most I look at are not small miners waivers so the BLM is receiving $ 165 multiplied by every 20 acre section, that's millions of dollars.  I'm sure you could devise a better system for filing claims for the BLM than they have and will include them bringing back an online claim map, and I think you would charge much less than $165 for each of those claims.

On a side note, I would like to work for the BLM, but the Phoenix office is an hour or longer from my house, but even with the commute, I'd be working much less than I am now.  I think I'd either get the filing system expedited or I'd get fired.

Thanks Clay and I am all signed up and a paid supporter....

• Like 1