Nugget Shooter Forums
Relichunter2016

Don't disregard the old coils

I've been detecting daily for some time now...and I have observed a few things I would like to share regarding older coils made by Coiltek and Minelab commander .I am beginning to realize that those so called older coils work very well indeed. Today I used the 15" Coiltek orange mono coil in a pounded patch that i hit probably 40 times with a variety of coils including the 12" round  and the elliptical 17 Evo coils. I noticed a slight threshold drop as I passed, now you have to realize when a patch is what i call dead...you need to listen and listen carefully to the slightest change in threshold. So digging down about 14" thinking a nugget for sure, I even took out the cell to video it...but alas a boot tack! This was deep...another hole I dug produced a lead old flattened lead  ball, third hole was a nugget and real deep!! All these areas I hit with Evos...so the point of all this is , if you have some old coils you wanna get rid of, give me a buzz, I like them. I have found regardless of the coil you're using, the key is..to swing slow, very slow and listen like you never listened before, get in the habit of doing that. Another thing I've changed is my gain...I max it out ...if the ground can handle it...I think sometimes we get in the habit of running the same gain settings. If anyone has a 16" Round Mono coil they want to get rid of....let me know. Remember don't walk over gold, go slow..slow..low,low and listen very carefully for the slightest change in threshold and dig it all. For what it's worth...

• Like 10

I agree completely,  I still swing my GPX-3000, and although I do have and use a 14" Evo coil occasionally, my Hottest and Best coil that I have been using over the years is a Coiltek Joey.   Sorry, I wouldn't sell it for a million bucks.  I swung it over a spot today and got a very slight signal above threshold.  It took me about (what seemed to be) thirty minutes to dig down in very hard-packed dried mud, combined with 5"-sized rocks and heavily-mineralized sand and dirt that had all collected behind some exposed bedrock.  By the time I finally got to bedrock I was down right at a "foot".  When I finally dug and scraped and clawed to get the target out it tuned out to be one of those old white-tarnished lead slugs about the size of a 22-slug.  Although it wasn't gold, if gold ( of that approx. same-size) would have been there, instead of the lead I know that my Joey would have picked it up as well.  Gary  

• Like 1

Great depth for the Joey on a 22 slug 12" down....yup, I also like the  underestimated coil 11" commander mono, now this coil can get the fly specks and go down for depth, great all arounder too...

• Like 4

Indeed true and having picked up a modded 3500 a while back I was glad to still have a selection of coils laying around for it. Before you ask "YES" I like the Woody mods on this 3500 and it kicks butt.... Have an old 14 x 7 nugget finder mono that is a great match for this detector.

• Like 2

Totally agree. My favorite was the good old Coiltek 14 round mono. That coil was crazy sensitive and deep. The Minelab 8 inch mono Super Gold Search mono was another favorite. And with DD's the Coiltek 17 Wallaby DD Pro was the standout. That's the one thing that drove me crazy on the SDC 2300, the lack of coils but I cannot fault the machine itself, great unit. I don't see any need to buy a 19 for the ZED but would like to see a smaller coil for it like an 11 inch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rod said:

Totally agree. My favorite was the good old Coiltek 14 round mono. That coil was crazy sensitive and deep. The Minelab 8 inch mono Super Gold Search mono was another favorite. And with DD's the Coiltek 17 Wallaby DD Pro was the standout. That's the one thing that drove me crazy on the SDC 2300, the lack of coils but I cannot fault the machine itself, great unit. I don't see any need to buy a 19 for the ZED but would like to see a smaller coil for it like an 11 inch. 

Not going to happen Rod due to the nature of ZVT..... Was one of the main things we have asked about at conferences. At least not with the current GPZ 7000, but Minelab is always busy......

• Like 1

Good to know Bill, thanks. Thought I read about someone in OZ experimenting with the idea but the details escape me. Frankly, my wish is not performance based, the ZED is a great machine, just enjoy variety. 

On 10/27/2017 at 3:16 PM, Relichunter2016 said:

elliptical 17 Evo 

ufo coil.JPG I'll trade my coil for your 17 evo or since you like older coils so much you could always buy it-as you can see its still in great shape :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200:

On 5/25/2018 at 9:21 PM, Mike C... said:

ufo coil.JPG I'll trade my coil for your 17 evo or since you like older coils so much you could always buy it-as you can see its still in great shape :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200:

I'll give you 50 .00 for it.....and shipping!