Nugget Shooter Forums
azdigger

Another metal detecting question

A lot of times as I am walking my shoes....I have to prescription shoes..... set my GPX off. Is it possible that a longer shaft would stop that.

I have a 24" shaft and have seen 34" shafts offered.   Just wondered if it would help.

Edited by azdigger

It may help Rick, but can also take the balance factor out causing more fatigue. Best deal is no metal boots or shoes and even a belt buckle can cause issues, Shep will tell ya this..... Problem for the GPX is it now has to try and understand the metal in close proximity and can actually make you miss targets. It is not as dramatic in manual GB, but in Auto it forces the detector to constantly try to balance out the metal in your boots that is sees as a target.

With the GPZ 7000 we got it really bad and it is almost impossible to carry any metal from waste down including 79 cents in your pocket. :ROFL:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

If switching boots isn't an option you can try swinging the detector more to your dominant side rather than straight out in front of you,  at least then the distance from your shoes is more constantrather than getting a signal every time you you take a step.  I've done this when I forgot to pack my composite toe boots and it helped some, also helps if you carry a pistol or your pick on your belt to keep the coil more to one side.

• Like 3

I quit carrying my pistol , and I am looking for a Sadie coil . the 6x8 I do like the mono coil so far.

I have to take medical alert bracelet off when detecting too

Just like mentioned above, you can time your steps and your swings and be good 90 percent of the time. It would be nice to be metal free though.

• Like 1

What would be a better choice for light weight coil, a Joey or the Sadie.

A longer shaft will help with metal in your boots. Not sure if ditching your pistol makes a difference? Personally, I've been ran down by mountain lions twice in AZ so I always carry one. I haven't noticed any issue even with the 2300 carrying a pistol. If you do go with a longer shaft I find using a bungee or hipstick helps with the balance issue. 

• Like 1

I have always been able to keep a small pistol on my back hip without much issue.  Even with the gpz I can still get half grain gold with my gun.  But other than that... no metal below the belt.  I agree with Bill for sure on this.  

Smaller coil means less depth on certain gold so I wouldn't recommend that. 

• Like 2

Desertpilot, thanks for the info.. I guess I should have said I quit letting my pistol swing free. I wear it in a neck holster and if it swings when I bend over , and it sets the detector off.

I may get a longer shaft , as it is cheaper than a smaller coil. I do use the bungee and love it.

Also for the coil question the Sadie is a good coil but since you have a 4500 and monster I'd hold off on the small coil. I'd just focus on using the 4500 when the ground is deeper and if your sniping bed rock just use the monster. I have a Gpx and a Sdc and if I'm detecting hillside residual placer, hanging benches, or deep ground the Gpx is my go to detector. If I'm hitting shallow bedrock then I bring the Sdc. You have the right tools for the job and I'd hold off on getting a coil until you get on a patch.

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2017 at 11:54 AM, Andyy said:

I have always been able to keep a small pistol on my back hip without much issue.  Even with the gpz I can still get half grain gold with my gun.  But other than that... no metal below the belt.  I agree with Bill for sure on this.  

Smaller coil means less depth on certain gold so I wouldn't recommend that. 

Andyy (here it comes):

If you can get a half grain of gold with your gun why do you need the GPZ?

Mitchel

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Andyy (here it comes):

Mitchel

Aaargghhh..! Once again I h8 you got to that b4 I did, lol..!

Hey, congrats on your upcoming nugget.. Does Lu know about the baby too yet..? :rolleyes: :89: 
Welcome to the wonderful world of sleep deprivation.. :4chsmu1:

Swamp

14 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Andyy (here it comes):

Mitchel

Oh cr@p!  I really did say that didn't I.  There's a reason I never became a writer.   LOL.  

I guarantee I can actually get a lot larger gold if I just used the gun.  ...  Hmmm....   I need to ponder that for a while.  Maybe I just need more expensive guns instead of more expensive detectors. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Andyy ... Why not do both!??? :idunno::thumbsupanim

• Like 1

On 10/25/2017 at 6:20 PM, azdigger said:

I quit carrying my pistol , and I am looking for a Sadie coil . the 6x8 I do like the mono coil so far.

I just clip my Glock onto my harness (this was my GPX harness but the same works fine on the Zed harness). This particular holsters a bit large as it's a large frame gun (Glock 23C) with a tactical light/laser so bigger than most.

IMG_1516.JPG

Edited by jjbond

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:56 AM, Relichunter2016 said:

Both great coils, but the sadie is my pick ...great for small deep gold.

Agree, I've owned and used both, sold my Joey as soon as I had the Sadie, it wins hands down.

2 hours ago, adam said:

WOW !  It must be super dangerous out there 

It's for rob'en stage coaches, galdarn things just never seem to be out when I'm detecting, I'll snag one yet though, just you wait. :5bat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, adam said:

WOW !  It must be super dangerous out there 

I carry mine in case I run into, Jen :cowboypistol:    Ha..ha...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Andyy said:

I carry mine in case I run into, Jen :cowboypistol:    Ha..ha...

Unless ya drives a stage coach pard'ner, you're safe. :brows:

(The irony of this is cute and would cause giggles if people knew where I work) :inocent:

Edited by jjbond
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jjbond said:

if people knew where I work

Wells Fargo??

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jjbond said:

Unless ya drives a stage coach pard'ner, you're safe. :brows:

(The irony of this is cute and would cause giggles if people knew where I work) :inocent:

3 minutes ago, SanDomingoJim said:

Wells Fargo??

I think the Pinkertons would be a better guess!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, SanDomingoJim said:

Wells Fargo??

:D

Edited by jjbond