Nugget Shooter Forums
LukeJ

An old patch

About a month ago, Dean and I agreed to meet in an area we'd been a few times.  The plan was to hike over yonder and detect some ground we'd yet to see.  I arrived a couple minutes later than the set time and since the 'road' looked rougher than before, I parked up the hill a short distance from the normal parking area.  I got out and decided to walk down to see if I was late.  I walked about 25 yards from the truck to a point where I could see around the corner to check if Dean's truck was there.  Nope, I got there first.  :Just_Cuz_06:

As I went to walk back up to get my gear out, I happened to look down at where I was standing.  I noticed that the ground looked a little different than the surrounding area, and upon closer inspection, it seemed as if there were a couple 'rows' of rocks that didn't look natural.  I think I had walked into an old patch that was previously raked, and since then, the grasses and small plants had grown back.  If I hadn't been standing right on top of it, I probably would have missed it since we'd driven right past before and never noticed.  So I went back to the truck, got my gear, and went right back to the 'old patch'.  Right away, I was hitting large pieces of surface trash, whole bullets and bullet jacket pieces.  We later guessed that the trash arrived sometime after the raking had been done, which perhaps put the time of the raking, back a decade or more.  :arrowheadsmiley:

Right before Dean got there, I located a nice faint repeatable signal that gave me a good feeling.  I left it in the ground and continued to detect around it since I knew Dean was going to test out a larger coil he had just acquired.  When he got there, I was excited to tell him about what I had 'found' and wanted him to test his coil on the target.  Sure enough, his GPX and the 18" coil could hear the signal and so we started to dig.  After we got down a few inches, I suggested we put the 18" coil aside and fire up my detector with the 11" commander so we wouldn't have to make the hole so big and pin pointing would be easier.  After a bit more digging, Dean had the wherewithal to suggest we make a video.  Here it is....

Finding .68g 9-10-17.mp4

I ended up with three that day, totaling 1.25g.  They were in a line spaced about 15 feet apart from each other.  The biggest was in the video (.68g) and they got smaller as they were found.

I've watched the video several times now, and I think I moved the nugget when I first started digging with the screwdriver.  There was some dirt that got flicked into the side of the hole and after scraping with the pick, I think the nugget stayed in the corner until I checked again with the detector.

And yes, I used orange duct tape to 'fix' my glove the night before since Home Depot was already closed.

Good times !!  :yesss:

Luke

20170910_112524 (2).jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Ah ya gotta love that blood red soil-good going :4chsmu1: How did Dean do ? :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

Ah ya gotta love that blood red soil-good going :4chsmu1: How did Dean do ? :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200:

Thanks Mike.  :D

Dean spent a few hours wearing out his shoulder with the 18 incher and then ended up getting a half grammer up the hill closer to the trucks with the 14x9 EVO.  It was a good day for all.  :thumbsupanim 

• Like 2

IMO I dont think you need anything bigger than a 16 for most most AZ areas depth wise :head: Now if your trying to cover alot of ground quickly thats a different story bigger is better :4chsmu1: Good going on the gold Dean :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

Great video!

• Thanks 1

...and all I got was this lousy T-shirt.. :cry2:
You, OTOH.. :yesss: Dean too.. :thumbsupanim
Swamp

• Like 1

Heck yeah!!! Way to keep those eyes open Luke, you never know what you might walk across. One spot looks like nothing then walk 20' and all of sudden you notice old workings just sitting there. Love that!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good job Luke,...  the 2.37 gram nugget that I posted yesterday was also  in that dark-blood-red soil as well.  And from the wash I can see areas up on the upper banks where it is bleeding out.  I'll have to do some serious investigating  next time.  Gary

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GDM/PV said:

Good job Luke,...  the 2.37 gram nugget that I posted yesterday was also  in that dark-blood-red soil as well.  And from the wash I can see areas up on the upper banks where it is bleeding out.  I'll have to do some serious investigating  next time.  Gary

Sounds like a very similar spot.  You'll have to send me coordinates to make sure it's not the same area.  :4chsmu1:

Congrats on your nug.  It's a beauty.  :D

WTG Luke! Those do look nice.

Videos are always fun to go back and watch over and over :)
Congrats!
Tom H.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom....  :thumbsupanim

I like to watch the video when I'm feeling 'under the weather'.  It always helps to bring my 'fever' down.

Do I really sound like that?  :nutty:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

Sounds like a very similar spot.  You'll have to send me coordinates to make sure it's not the same area.  :4chsmu1:

Congrats on your nug.  It's a beauty.  :D

I will "If you will,--"first.:brows:""  Now that I am starting to get things worked-out with my GPZ-7000, I'd love to hit some old patches that "others" have pretty much given up on just to see if they had been as thorough as they "thought" they where. :cry2: 

"AND", Dean, if you are reading this,.... I know how much you love your 9 x14 Evo coil, as I have found many nuggets with mine as well..  But, I know that I had swung my 14" Evo (as well as various other sized coils, including the 18" Wallaby) over this exact spot at least a half dozen times over the last couple of years that I have been hunting this wash, and I never got a signal of any kind from any of the other coils.  Just food-for-thought.  Guess I'll be starting from square-one with this wash now.:thumbsupanim Gary 

24 minutes ago, GDM/PV said:

I will "If you will,--"first.:brows:""  Now that I am starting to get things worked-out with my GPZ-7000, I'd love to hit some old patches that "others" have pretty much given up on just to see if they had been as thorough as they "thought" they where. :cry2: 

You know Gary, at some point I think I'd be willing to take you up on that 'offer'.  But for now, I'm still getting the 'easy' stuff and haven't even really gotten into moving dirt and heavy objects just yet.  Saving that for when the pickens start gettin' slimmer. :Diggin_a_hole:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

You know Gary, at some point I think I'd be willing to take you up on that 'offer'.  But for now, I'm still getting the 'easy' stuff and haven't even really gotten into moving dirt and heavy objects just yet.  Saving that for when the pickens start gettin' slimmer. :Diggin_a_hole:

"Point-well-taken", and I understand and agree with you completely.  In my particular wash there is only one stringer wash that I have not only cleaned out the easy pickens, but I have also completely removed the heavy large rocks and overburden, and moved the large boulders all the way down to bedrock and detected this complete stretch.  The rest of the main wash and other stringer washes still remain open for investigation.  

• Like 1

I have learned that the more you frequent a 'spot', the better you can hunt it each time you go.  Whether you get skunked or not, you'll learn something and each time you know where you've been and where you haven't.   The overall targets get harder to find, but the ability to slow down and listen for the faint stuff becomes enhanced.  All this assuming you found any detectable gold there in the first place.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike C... said:

IMO I dont think you need anything bigger than a 16 for most most AZ areas depth wise :head: Now if your trying to cover alot of ground quickly thats a different story bigger is better :4chsmu1: Good going on the gold Dean :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200:

Thanks Mike! Im with you...16" coil max here in AZ. even in the so called "deep" areas unless you need to cover a bunch of ground looking for that indicator nugget in open ground. 

Chris G and I were in Gold Basin about a week ago and he did very well with the 15" round Evo. I swung a 18" Advantage for a day and was skunked with it then switched to the trusty 14x9" Evolution and scored. The larger coils may cover more ground per swing but they make it difficult to swing the angles and the tight spots where gold tends to hide. Plus, the smaller, lighter coil allows an operator to swing longer due to less fatigue and, ultimately...cover more ground. A conundrum, I know. All a part of that whole " hunt strategy" thing. Time spent with the "coil to the soil" is rarely mentioned and is as important to success as is being on good ground. Having a set up that can be swung all day as well as being fit enough to do so will put lots more gold in the poke.

Gary, Congrats on your "Z" nugget! I think the GPZ will see certain types of gold that the GPX won't. I'm sure you will go back to your old "cleaned out" patches and score gold that the GPX didn't see. Should be fun!

Nice work, Luke! Luckily, I have a face made for narrating videos :200:.

Dean

Edited by Dbado1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

I have learned that the more you frequent a 'spot', the better you can hunt it each time you go.  Whether you get skunked or not, you'll learn something and each time you know where you've been and where you haven't.   The overall targets get harder to find, but the ability to slow down and listen for the faint stuff becomes enhanced.  All this assuming you found any detectable gold there in the first place.

I think that holds true up-to-a-point ! ?;..  It's kind of a "point-of-NO-Returns" with  each time you frequent a spot.  There comes a point of frequently returning to a "SPOT", and (thoroughly) working that spot where your gold-finds ultimately become Zero.  I mean these spots are not like apples on a tree that reproduces each year without fail.  This is ultimately a "zero-sum (returns) game" we are playing with each and every spot.  And it will become zero-returns faster dependent-on how thorough you are in that particular spot.  I have personally already experienced a point-of-zero-returns situation at about 4-5 of my favorite patch locations up here around the Lynx creak area.  At these spots it makes no difference "now" how much monsoon rains move around overburden or cleared off the area, as there is no more gold there,...it's not a reproducing gold-tree, as "so-Many"-seem to believe by clinging and hording their precious gold spots.  It's just human nature to Not-want-to-believe that a thoroughly-hammered and well-worked particular spot would become a "no-gold-returns-spot," but it does happen, and does exist.  It's just hard to wrap your mind around this fact.  So you keep going back.  But the zero-returns once there, is there.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boulder dash said:

Luke your starting to get good at this detecting thing

Thanks  :4chsmu1:  Probably one of the greatest compliments one can hope to receive amongst this crowd and from you in particular.

But then again, you're probably being sarcastic....   :25r30wi:

Thank you, I really appreciate it.  :)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, LukeJ said:

Thanks Tom....  :thumbsupanim

I like to watch the video when I'm feeling 'under the weather'.  It always helps to bring my 'fever' down.

Do I really sound like that?  :nutty:

We all sound different than we think we do....hey, at least you dont get mistaken for a woman when you call a store! .....Yah, I do:2mo5pow:

Tom H.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Nope you have done the work and are receiving the benefits in a extremely hard passion. Your the next boulder dash but I will call you lukendash.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I like the videos guys.  I myself wouldn't do a video because then I too would have to hear myself talk.  I know my wife doesnt like it so I probably wouldn't either.  lol

Still nice find.  And good eyes Luke.

Edited by Andyy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1