Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
LukeJ

An old patch

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Relichunter2016 said:

Amazing depth for a half grammer....Commander 11 " Mono..nice video!

Yeah, I agree.  It seems like all the conditions were right on that one.

You can hear it in my voice at the end of the video.  First off, I'm a bit winded from digging and a weird nervousness from the camera.  I'd say we were down a good 10 inches or so and it was getting pretty loud there at the end.  I was happy it was gold, but also surprised it wasn't bigger.  When we started to dig, we made assumptions based on how it sounded and by the time I got it out of the hole I was thinking it was going to be at least a gram.  I'm glad we got it on video.  Shows what's possible when things go in your favor.  :D

Here's a pic of the three cleaned up and a few others found within a 1/4 mile radius.  The red soil really stains the gold.  They are pictured on a quarter I found in my backyard last year.

Thanks again for all the great comments!!

Luke

20170910_140713 (2).jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Luke, good job.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While watching the video and listening to the target sound I was sure it was going to be a gram or above, actually I was thinking a multi grammer 2-3 grams easy . The target sound was broad and sounded deep, but never expected a nugget under a gram at that depth. Been using my 11" mono last few weeks...glad I put it on....just a great all around coil to have on a gpx 4500 or 5000. I also have observed detecting early morning when the temps are low...30-60 degrees with a extremely slow swing  and highest gain  you can get for ground conditions will pull more out in old patches. Good luck and thanks for sharing...video, keep them videos coming.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was definitely going slow.  I had a pretty good idea that if I heard a faint sound it would be the right kind of target, based on my assumption that it was an old patch.   I had already scraped the surface rocks aside with my shoe so I could get the coil flat on the ground.  It was the perfect little wee-woo, and if you didn't get the center of the coil directly over it, you couldn't hear it.  I was running Sensitive extra, gain 13 (which was a first for me), stabilizer 10, and motion slow.  There was no EMI and no wind. 

Everything was just right.   :yesss:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Andy

I just got to ask this. Didn't you talk to her before you married?

Chuck

Ahh, you're supposed to talk first??  DOH! 

In all seriousness, I have the greatest wife.  She thinks I'm a little nuts sometimes with my gold hunting but she gets me.  That is a rare thing.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

I was definitely going slow.  I had a pretty good idea that if I heard a faint sound it would be the right kind of target, based on my assumption that it was an old patch.   I had already scraped the surface rocks aside with my shoe so I could get the coil flat on the ground.  It was the perfect little wee-woo, and if you didn't get the center of the coil directly over it, you couldn't hear it.  I was running Sensitive extra, gain 13 (which was a first for me), stabilizer 10, and motion slow.  There was no EMI and no wind. 

Everything was just right.   :yesss:

Sensitive extra rules the roost, Luke! Glad you're rake'n it in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great going Luke. That red iron stained gold reminds me of some I found in the Black Canyon area. Lots of rich iron dirt, a good indicator for gold. Keep up the great work!  :yesss:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great video and some great looking ground. I love to hunt dirt like that. When you get down that deep it's gotta be the good stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Great video and some great looking ground. I love to hunt dirt like that. When you get down that deep it's gotta be the good stuff.

You've been there, Chris! I love that red dirt too.

Dean

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dbado1 said:

You've been there, Chris! I love that red dirt too.

Dean

Hmmm no kidding. That’s pretty interesting. 

Those red globular nuggies do look like the kind I find in “central Arizona”. The ones from your stomping grounds I remember being a little cleaner and sharper so maybe you guys expanded a little? :brows:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×