Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DSMITH

Need Suggestions

I am still down in the valley of AZ rite now because of a family emergency i have to sell some gold coins I have that I found several years ago with a metal detector under a home I owned in Ohio  I need to sell them to help out my family with this emergency these are 2.5 dollar gold pieces from the 1800s can someone please tell me where in AZ to take these to sell don't know much about coins so I need to find someplace that is honest so I don't get ripped off 

Thanks to anyone that can give the advice

First, you need to go online and look up the dates and estimate the condition to get some idea of what the values are.

Then you can go to the various stamp and coin stores and get the best offer. I would take my time in this and do a little research beforehand.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

First, you need to go online and look up the dates and estimate the condition to get some idea of what the values are.

Then you can go to the various stamp and coin stores and get the best offer. I would take my time in this and do a little research beforehand.

took your suggestion what should I expect to get price wise 50% of value or 80% a few of them are dated 1881 and 1885  I have a total of 12 that's where I am lost don't know what to expect as far as what condition they are in which in my opinion are all in vary good condition and everything readable on them i do not expect to get 100% of the value but what should i expect have looked up the values and they range any where from $230. to $4300. 

Try grading the coins using this website.

https://www.pcgs.com/grades

It will give you a much better idea as to the grade or condition. Once you establish the grade, you'll have a much better idea of their worth.

With that in hand, then you can go to the various stamp and coin shops to see which ones will give you the best offer. If you think they are too low, simply walk away.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

Try grading the coins using this website.

https://www.pcgs.com/grades

It will give you a much better idea as to the grade or condition. Once you establish the grade, you'll have a much better idea of their worth.

With that in hand, then you can go to the various stamp and coin shops to see which ones will give you the best offer. If you think they are too low, simply walk away.

thank you  for the links they helped a lot the prices in those are way different from what I was coming up with quite a bit higher prices again thank you a great help 

• Like 1

Whatever you do, don't be  tempted to clean them at all, if you do you could very well lose up too 50% or more of the value they would of had if you didn't clean them at all, cleaning any valuable coin is a BIG NO NO unless you're a certified coin consevartor who knows how to clean them correctly without reducing their value and most importantly also knows when to stop the cleaning process!!

• Like 3

Everything that's already been said above..
And if you have 1881 & 1885 quarter eagles, well it just doesn't get much better than that for 'modern' stampings..

Swamp

• Like 1