Nugget Shooter Forums

I know it's been a while since I last posted but stuff happened.

I have been actively searching for specimens to add to my collection but finding affordable material large enough to make a sphere in a classification that I need has been difficult

But despite those barriers I am up to 20 meteorite or meteorite related spheres and I just bought a Mesosiderite, which has been very difficult to locate at an affordable price

Here is my collection, the individual images are listed in the order they were obtained.

Collection%202014%2010_zpsxcst8ryu.jpg

GIBEON

IAV / FINE OCTAHEDRITE IRON- 488 GRAMS

001%20Gibeon%20BB_zpsmkmgwybb.jpg

NWA 869

L3/6 CHONDRITE - 225 GRAMS

002%20NWA%20869%20BB_zpsr7xylgtq.jpg

CAMPO

IAB-MG / COARSE IRON - 485 GRAMS

003%20Campo%20BB_zps4cwobhz1.jpg

BRAHIN

PALLASITE - 335 GRAMS

004%20%20Brahin%20BB_zpsetaroejm.jpg

SEYMCHAN

IIE / UNGROUPED IRON - 520 GRAMS

005%20Seymchan%20BB_zpskm5hyp36.jpg

GUANG DONG

TEKTITE - 145 GRAMS

006%20Guang%20Dong%20Tektite%20BB_zpsxjm

NWA 2828

EL3 CHONDRITE - 158 GRAMS

007%20NWA%202828%20BB_zpscbq6bggf.jpg

DRONINO

ATAXITE / UNGROUPED IRON- 536 GRAMS

008%20Dronino%20BB_zps5wrvsthi.jpg

GAO-GUENIE

H5 CHONDRITE - 227 GRAMS

009%20Gao%20BB_zpsp8b8plhi.jpg

URUACU

IAB-MG / COARSE IRON - 533 GRAMS

010%20Uruacu%20BB_zpsqyzlmazs.jpg

NININGER

MUSEUM WALL BRICK- 171 GRAMS

011%20Nininger%20BB_zpsncjzqrru.jpg

BLACK ONAPING

SUDBURY IMPACT MELT- 185 GRAMS

012%20Black%20Onaping%20BB_zpsx2zdjvj4.j

TOLUCA

IAB-sLL COARSE IRON- 528 GRAMS

013%20Toluca%20BB_zpstqbkm5yy.jpg

CANYON DIABLO

GRAPHITE - 247 GRAMS

014%20CDGN_zpsojklnpat.jpg

NWA 791

L6 CHONDRITE - 220 GRAMS

015%20NWA%20791%20BB_zpsd3glzon6.jpg

DHOFAR 1289

L4 CHONDRITE - 214 GRAMS

016%20Dhofar%201289%20BB_zpsf3s7payx.jpg

LIBYAN GLASS

IMPACT MELT GLASS - 147 GRAMS

017%20Libyan%20Glass%20BB_zpsk2jl9ebl.jp

ZAG

H3/6 CHONDRITE - 246 GRAMS

018%20Zag%20BB_zpsvgqacrs3.jpg

GHUBARA

L5 CHONDRITE - 230 GRAMS

019%20Ghubara%20BB_zpsos5gc9yw.jpg

DHOFAR 1724

H4 CHONDRITE - 222 GRAMS

020%20Dhofar%201724%20BB_zpsqzgb6dbd.jpg

• Like 6

Very cool...  Nice work.  :thumbsupanim

How do you go about making them into spheres?

Pretty cool idea, never saw anyone do that to their meteorites, just don't drop'em might roll away! Very impressive collection:4chsmu1:

Thank you for the kind words.

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

Beautiful!!!

you need a Gold basin and Franconia in there....

fred

I have looked at those but finding one big enough hasn't happened yet, however, feel free to send me if you got it :)

11 hours ago, LukeJ said:

Very cool...  Nice work.  :thumbsupanim

How do you go about making them into spheres?

I use a machining process to make the irons and the standard 3 head sphere machine for the non-iron specimens.

Both of my processes use considerably less material then the conventional methods.

For instance, to make a 50mm sphere on a 3 head machine most cutters start with a 70-75mm cube that gets cut into a soccer ball like rough

The Rare Earth Trading Company uses custom made core bits they are thin walled and in my case produce a 52mm rough.

• Like 1

How big is needed... ( in inches please)? If I send two, will you make me one?

Of course, I have no idea what is involved in making a sphere....I have polished some small Gold basins and the are pretty...

fred

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

Of course, I have no idea what is involved in making a sphere....I have polished some small Gold basins and the are pretty...

fred

Fred 75mm is right at 3", so I guess that the size required.

Way cool, they look like moons from Jupiter and Saturn.

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

fred

If the specimen is solid and has a thin solid exterior surface an area 55mm thick (little over 2") will work.

The Rare Earth Trading Company runs a core bit through the area that is thick enough and then they cut it 2-3 more times, changing the orientation which creates a very spherical rough that is not much bigger then the final sphere. 

The older conventional way used to reply on the larger rough (70-75mm) and that isn't much of an issue for most terrestrial material but can be very costly for meteorite material.

In both cases they stick the rough into a 3 head sphere making machine and spin it down to a sphere and then they polish it by using finer cups

Here is a video of the process

The only draw back to using the Rare Earth Trading Company is that the owner spends most of his time in China supervising the manufacture of his lapidary tool line so it can take him 6 months to a year to get my sphere back to me.

I don't mind waiting because I know he will do it right and I know it will be 50mm

So if you have the material and if you don't mind waiting I will be glad to get it worked out for you plus I can send you slices and end cuts from the left over part.

Edited by Boba Debt
  • Like 1

dang, cool process for sure! Unfortunately 2-3 inch stone is bigger than I have at this point...I donated the biggest ones I had to the san diego Gem and Mineral society. 

If I find another nice sized Gold basin I will send it to you...

I don't have any Franconia that would be big enough...

thanks

fred

Beautiful collection , looks like a tiny solar system Boba Debt !
Thanks for sharing .

In addition to my sphere collection I also have a 4.2 pound Campo Iron Whole Specimen and 1.1 pound unclassified NWA Chondrite

99%20Campo%20WS_zpseocvkgf9.jpg

99%20NWA%20WS_zpsilwb3cbt.jpg

Edited by Boba Debt
  • Like 1

It's cool to be able to 'see' their relative densities compared with each other.  Pretty wide range for a group of same sized objects.

Very nice....   :)

Some of those looked like Planets.

This is the core machine I used to make my first iron sphere from a 57 pound Campo Whole Specimen

CoreMachine.jpg

It took 2 days and it resulted in a 7 1/2 core that was just over 2” in diameter

I had that core turned on a lathe into 2 separate spheres, one for m y collection and one for eBay.  I also sold the remaining whole specimen on eBay for more then I paid for it.

Because it was so time consuming that was the only time I used it.

Now I have a machine shop that turns a 51mm x 51mm x 60mm rough into my 50mm sphere

This is the steel prototype

SteelRough.jpg

Once I polish it I remove the hexagonal stem, sand and polish that area and then I etch the entire sphere

I modified an MK-100 Brick and Paver saw so that I could cut stones and irons to make my sphere roughs

MK-100.jpg

Instead of using a band saw with a kerf so wide that you get 25-30% cut I use a .030” abrasive blade that produces slices that are almost ready to etch with about 5-7% cut.

Here is an example of a freshly cut iron slice, it have not been sanded nor polished

Example%20Slice%203_zpspwn4cplz.jpg

I have processed meteorites for hunters on a profit sharing basis but I only do that if they have a material that I can use for a sphere in my collection.

I also buy whole specimens to make spheres and I always sell the left over end cuts, slices and “scraps” at very competative prices.

In the near future I will have some nice large Bondoc Mesosiderite end cuts and slices that I will list for sale but if you’re not an rabid meteorite collector and just want a space rock I have lots of little left overs from my previous sphere projects that I sell super cheap.

• Like 1

Here are some Canyon Diablo Graphite Nodule slices that I cut when I made my sphere, these are long gone but it's not every day you get to see a slice of a graphite nodule

Slices1.jpg

Bondoc Mesosiderite-B4 Meteorite – The Good & the Bad

I received my Bondoc whole specimen yesterday and I processed it into my sphere rough cube today.

The GOOD – Very easy to cut

The BAD – not a lot of visible metal

Here is a picture of the whole specimen

Bondoc%20005_zpsep6vjheh.jpg

Here is a picture of it after cutting

Bondoc%20006_zps3clmvkjy.jpg

Overall I will be happy to have a meso sphere in my collection, I just wish it had more metal in it.

I plan to sell the end cuts and slices but don’t really know what it’s worth so if you have an opinion on it value per gram please reply

I am soaking a small slice in phosphoric acid  so we will see how that turns out

This is my first processed slice of the Bondoc B-4 Mesosiderite

Bondoc%20007%20%2010gr%20Slice_zps9hzhsz

It has an interesting look.

This piece is just over 1 3/4” wide and weighs 10 grams so at $3 per gram this would be $30

In a couple days I will list a small lot of slices and end cuts in the classifieds section, but if you want dibs on a piece send an email to bobadebt@ec.rr.com

Bob your collect is awesome, not every day you see this many different types of meteorites in one place much less formed into awesome polished spheres!!:thumbsupanim

That being said you are allowed to post meteorites for sale in this section as well as the Classifieds, so post them in both sections for more chances of interested parties seeing them!

Thanks and thanks

Most forums frown on posting the same thing in two sub-forums which I never understood, it's not like the EZboard days of the early 2000s where resources were limited

PS - My name is David, I just use Boba Debt online, it's a Star Wars thing :)

2 hours ago, Boba Debt said:

Thanks and thanks

Most forums frown on posting the same thing in two sub-forums which I never understood, it's not like the EZboard days of the early 2000s where resources were limited

PS - My name is David, I just use Boba Debt online, it's a Star Wars thing :)

Ok David it is!

I actually did a typo and typed Bob and accidently left off the a, it the 2 fingers typing thing at work!!:idunno:

The meteorite forum is the only forum at Nuggetshooter that we allow members to post forum specific items for sale other than the Classifieds, in all other sections one can mention items for sale and post a link to the ad in the Classifeds..

Any other forum sections a "For Sale" posts would be moved to the Classifieds, which is why I mention it so you can get more exposure for you bits and pieces.

I appreciate that info.

I have a question about processing my Bondoc End Cuts

Because the focus of my collection is spheres I will admit that I don’t really know much about what other meteorite collectors like

I have started to process the smaller slices and end cuts of my Bondoc Mesosiderite by soaking them in phosphoric acid and then I polish them up to 400. I might go to 800 but I have to get some supplies to do that. 

They end up looking like the 10 gram slice I posted above

I don’t mind risking the “value of the specimen” on these smaller pieces but I don’t know if I want to do that for these larger end cuts:

Bondoc%20008%20A%20Large%20End%20Cuts_zp

Bondoc%20008%20B%20Large%20End%20Cuts_zp

What do you all think?