Nugget Shooter Forums

Today I re-etched my irons, normally I etch the Dronino (center iron) but it looked good polished so I left it

I also buil anew display board in anticipation of 3 new spheres I should be adding in the near future

Collection%202017%2010%20A_zpsxtbutb1h.j

Love the sphere thing..... Every time I go to buy a nice quartz sphere they are always to pricey.

Shop for one made form meteorite material :)

This is a 3 slice display I made when I used to make 50mm square slices to get a better understanding of what they would look like as a 50mm sphere and to figure out how to work them

3SliceDisplayF.jpg

3SliceDisplayB.jpg

Easel.jpg

• Like 1

I started to process a 2400 gram Sikhote Alin end cut

Here is a video of one of many cuts I made which yeilded a 443 gram end cut

This is what the 2 pieces looks like

SA%20cut%20oo1%20A_zpsgkn5hjor.jpg

Here is the 443 gram end cut that is 3.5" wide by 2.25" tall

SA%20443%20gram%20End%20Cut%20006_zpsad1

SA%20443%20gram%20End%20Cut%20005_zpsqo6

Edited by Boba Debt
  • Like 1

The second cut produced a 163 gram 2-part end cut that is really cool

SA%20cut%20002%20A_zpsh4pvaqlk.jpg

SA%20163%20gram%20End%20Cut%20001_zpsfrq

SA%20163%20gram%20End%20Cut%20002_zpszxo

One corner separated along a crystal boundary but it stays together when displayed, here is quick video of it

The third cut produced a 359 gram end cut and a smaller 15 gram end cut / fragment that separated during the cutting process.

SA%20cut%20003%20A_zpstfhzdpvg.jpg

I hate to brag about my cutting process but this is a fresh cut and you can see the fragments reflection in the face of each part.

A  .030" / 1mm blade kerf and virtually no sanding of the faces is why I have such low cut loss
Edited by Boba Debt
  • Like 1

Fourth and final cut 

SA%20cut%20004%20A_zpsv2huxkpj.jpg

So the initial process to turn the 2504 gram end cut that a Met list member named Derek sent to me for processing is complete

With my current work schedule it took about 5 days making one cut per day.

Here are some pics of the processed material

SA%20End%20Cuts%20003_zpslaprdlwr.jpg

SA%20End%20Cuts%20001_zpscmctbiqm.jpg

SA%20End%20Cuts%20002_zpsiymeo6ai.jpg

We ended up with the following

A – 262 gram end cut with 5 cut faces
B – 358 gram end cut with 3 cut faces
C – 163 gram end cut with 3 cut faces
D – 443 true end cut, single cut face, this is the nicest end cut of the lot
E – 14 fragment consisting of what looks like 2 crystals

So we have a total of 1240 sellable grams and after looking at current successful eBay listings, Derek and I decided to initially list these at $3 per gram.

I will polish and etch these over the week end and list them for sale but if you are interested in any of this send an email to bobadebt@ec.rr.com

C sold in less then a day when I posted it to a forum I frequent. 

When I was polishing it, a corner separated and at first I was disappointed but then I discovered it sits perfectly in place so it became a feature.

Check out the above video and you will understand

My sphere rough weighs 1126 grams and Dmitry is going to earn his money if he gets a 50mm sphere for this rough because it is tight.

We had an initial cut loss of 138 grams or right around 5% so that’s good

Edited by Boba Debt

BD you have been proving for years that you certainly know how to cut irons. 

Thanks for posting all those spheres!

Don Martin

Thanks Don

I don't know a lot about the science on space rocks but I can cut me some metal :)

PS - You have a PM

All 3 Sikhote Alin end cuts with their initial etch, the one in the center is 3.5" wide to give you an idea of the size of these

I have used both nitol and ferric chloride  in the past to etch SA, but my FC won’t be here till Monday.

Once I have that I will heat these up and do a quick wash with the FC and follow that with a light nitol etch to make it sparkle.

SA%20End%20Cuts%20004_zpszlys8ssc.jpg
  • Like 2

That's amazing!! I really appreciate the passion you have for doing these processes. Beautifully cut Sikhotes!! They will be museum quality pieces once your finished!!

Edited by Rocky

Thanks

Etching these cut pieces makes me very anxious to get my sphere made but I have to be patient and work the projects I have in a certain order.

I just hope I can sell the end cuts for Derek so this partnership works out for both of us

5 hours ago, Boba Debt said:

Thanks

Etching these cut pieces makes me very anxious to get my sphere made but I have to be patient and work the projects I have in a certain order.

I just hope I can sell the end cuts for Derek so this partnership works out for both of us

Don't be anxious, there are not many competent people to do what you are doing!! Please for the love of oddities..enjoy, appreciate, and love what your doing. If your good at it the business will come to you when available.

Oh, I enjoy it, it's just that when you process  a specimen and see the pieces that are cut away from the rough you have an idea of what the sphere will look like. 

In some cases, like with most chondrites, it's not so different then what I expect so waiting to get the rough turned into a sphere is easy.

But in some cases the cut material looks amazing so you know the sphere will be even more amazing so that can make the wait agonizing.

When I processed a 1700 gram Canyon Diablo Graphite Nodule I was amazed by the slices and end cuts and waiting 2 months to get the sphere back was torture

Here are some of the slices that I sold for the collector that trusted me to process it for him

Slices1.jpg

I also worked Pallasovka and that wait ended in disappointment because the rough produced a sphere that was too small for my collection, I think it was 47mm but I can't remember.  It was beautiful and it sold well but it was still disappointing.

Here are some pictures of it and  some of the pieces that came from making it

Sphere%207_zpsxznr7hxp.jpg

Pallasovka16grFrag3.jpg

Pallasovka10grFrag6.jpg

• Like 1

I received my 2.4 kilo NWA 8529 H-6 Chondrite yesterday and processed it into my sphere rough today.

The good, it was quite fragmented but I was able to find the most solid area to cut my rough from.

The bad, the cube does have some cracks and I hope Dmitry can stabilize it before he makes it into a sphere PLUS it’s BROWN and I’m kind of sick of brown spheres.

The 2.4 Kilo Whole Specimen

NWA%208529%20Whole%20Specimen%20001_zpss

NWA%208529%20Whole%20Specimen%20002_zpsv

Here it is on the saw, which was just big enough to process this whole specimen

NWA%208529%20on%20the%20Saw_zpsihgp6nms.

My 57mm (oversized) Sphere Rough

NWA%208529%20Sphere%20Rough%20001_zpsrnt

The remaining cuts, the top left end cut is the only piece that stayed together which is ironic because I thought it would fall to pieces due to all of the fragments

NWA%208529%20Slice%20Lot%20001_zpsfgrn6b

Edited by Boba Debt

I decided to repair one of the 2 pentagon shaped slices that separated during the cutting process

I wasn’t to hard to repair and it looks fantastic with a polish.

NWA%208529%20150%20Gram%20Slice%20001_zp

NWA%208529%20150%20Gram%20Slice%20002_zp

What's your secret to rust prevention? I kept  irons and some slabbed H5 specimens in a plastic bag with desiccant and they still showed rust after a few months. Is rust prevention a losing proposition or can it be stopped altogether?

I clean my spheres with Bar Keepers Friend and I re-etch the irons occasionally.

I also have a polishing/cleaning cloth that use.

But honestly I don't know why my collection isn't a mess, I live on the east coast of NC and I handle my sphere all the time.

I'm sending some material to Russia to get made into spheres so I replaced the Bondoc Sphere Rough with the Iron Sikhote Alin that I quickly etched

Collection%202017%2011_zpsclx5rh63.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks

I'm getting ready to process the 2 Sikhote Alin end cuts that have not sold yet

This will produce some awesome slices but it will diminish the size of the end cuts (obviously) which is a shame because the size of the widmanstatten pattern of this so large that you need a large surface to appreciate it.

SA%20cut%20005_zpspwb7ik90.jpg

Presenting my Bondoc Mesosiderite, NWA 8529 H-6 and Sikhote Alin 50mm Spheres

New%20Additions%20July%202018_zpsvmuvy9z

I finally filled that last 3 “holes” in what I consider to be all of the general classifications

•  

Stoney Irons – Pallasite and Mesosiderite

•  

All 4 irons from Fine to Coarsest

•  

Most of the L and H Chondrites

I have plenty of other classifications and other meteorite related spheres but I wanted to the basics to be represented in my collection and it only took 12 years to do it :)

• Like 1

Wow !  Very , very nice  :WOW: