Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nugget108

My boy got his deer today.

Hi all, took the boys out deer hunting this morning. My son chased this one during archery season in August but could only get about 80 yards from him. Then during muzzleloader season we couldn't find him. So went out this morning and found him again. Layed an awesome shot on him and he only went about 15 yards and dropped. Not huge but he's happy.

Dan

20171007_103249.jpg

Edited by nugget108
  • Like 14

Good on him , Nice deer.

• Like 1

Fine looking Deer to me.   

• Like 1

Excellent !!  :thumbsupanim

Congratulations to your son....

...and his Father.  :D

Luke

• Thanks 1

Fantastic! I still remember my first when I was 12, up near Snowflake. What a rush!

• Like 1

Congrats. Nice looking buck. Did it come from the you know where area?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morlock said:

Congrats. Nice looking buck. Did it come from the you know where area?

Haha just down the road a few miles.

I know they're illegal to hunt but have you seen any moose in your area?

4 hours ago, Morlock said:

I know they're illegal to hunt but have you seen any moose in your area?

Yep. Just seen one last weekend. We usually see 3 or 4 a year. They are a very cool critter. I have a video from last elk season of a cow moose that came in to the water hole we were sitting on. What an amazing experience that was. She was only 8 feet away from us slurping water. My son, my father-in-law and myself were in awe on how big she was. Thie video gets blurry when I send it but here is a pic.

20160905_174402.jpg

• Like 1

showed just fine....way cool

• Like 1

Was she aware of you? Knowing wild animals, I find it hard to believe she wasn't.

Dan 
Great to see your out hunting with your kids. my dad did that with me too. I know that over in cali when I was growing up and hunting you could get an edge on the other hunters by using black powder guns. The season for them was before general deer hunting season. I used to build black powder guns back then. Cap locks from kits. Now that I'm more skilled in wood carving and metal engraving I'm thinking about building an old school flint lock just for fun. but I have to say there isn't anything like getting out with your kids and teaching them father and son.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Bob,

That is my favorite season now. Muzzleloader hunting is an absolute blast. You don't have to get as close as you do when archery hunting but you can't be out 400 yards like rifle hunting. I call it revenge for archery hunting lol. You are correct about boys. Man right now they are my best friends. They go everywhere and do everything I love to do and I couldn't ask for better kids to be honest. They are into all kinds of hunting and more safe with a gun than most adults I have hunted with. My daughter's are the same way, still like hanging out with mom and dad. We are waiting for late season to go hunt for my daughter's deer, she wants to chase a big nasty buck this year lol.

• Like 2

Well I guess I should have said father and kids.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1

When I was a little kid, I ordered a flintlock pistol kit. It had everything included in it. Only problem was my parents didn't want anything to do with it. So they stole it from me never to be seen again. So much for my hard earned money. Parents can put such a damper on kids aspirations.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Morlock said:

Was she aware of you? Knowing wild animals, I find it hard to believe she wasn't.

I kinda think she knew something was up, but she wasn't quite sure. We were in all camo and the wind was right so you never know. Them cow moose can be mean critters.

The reason I ask is because it's very unusual to get that close to these animals without spooking them. Almost all animals rely on acute senses for survival. I looked up moose and while they have poor eyesight, they have keen hearing and sense of smell. I guess the conditions must have been perfect for your group.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Them cow moose can be mean critters.

Not a moose but you still don't mess with wild animals.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/elk-selfies-gone-wrong-two-gored-at-st-louis-county/article_56857dfc-8eb4-583e-864a-c367bfe40a2b.html

• Like 1

Unfortunately there are people that do believe wild animals are just like pets. I see it everyday around my house. We have a big deer herd in the community i live in, and the deer get really aggressive if they are cornered or if its during the rut. The bucks go really wacko during the rut. They come in our yards and bed under the windows and eat all our dang bushes and flowers. Some people just don't know any better and were never introduced to the outdoor lifestyle i guess. Gotta respect the wildlife. 

People are still watching too many Walt Disney movies.

• Like 1