Nugget Shooter Forums
DSMITH

five hour hunt yesterday

Went up a hill on my property for a long hunt was not getting many signals huge spent round, got to a spot and had a booming signal with the GM 1000 settings was deep mode sens 5 the target that I detected was after I had dug the spent round I pin pointed was almost pinging the non ferrous side of the meter 4 bars on the gold chance side, I take my pick and clear the spot where it was pin pointing to of about two inches of the top soil target still in hole still reading at 4 bars on the non ferrous side started digging a little deeper another two inches check the hole and target still in hole so I dig another inch out and hit a layer of crumbly rock clear the crumbly rock and check hole again with the GM 1000 the target still in hole and screaming louder but meter is still at 4 bars on the gold chance side at this point I try to dig down deeper but encounter a layer of what appears to be gypsum or something that the pick will not even chip down about 5-6 inches below the top layers spent 2 hours trying to break through what ever this substance is with pick and still could not break through it by this time it was getting dark and I was wore out so I marked the spot in my GPS I carry and   headed back to my cabin down the hill going back up today with a sledge hammer and rock chisel to see if I can find that target any other ideas as to what I should carry up with me to break through what ever this stuff is,in my mind this stuff is to hard for a bullet round to have penetrated or  anything man made here is hoping plan on spending the hole day up there if I have to not leaving there until I have the target out of the hole and in my hand this target never once swung to the ferrous side of the meter but we will see 

• Like 3

I hope it's a 10 pound Spanish gold bar.

9 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I hope it's a 10 pound Spanish gold bar.

I will be happy if its just a small piece of gold but I like your way of thinking

3 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

Check the sides of your hole :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200:

Checked the sides several times but the target keeps pin pointing to the center of the hole which is about 14 inches in diameter going to carry the small 5 inch coil up with me also just need some ideas as to what to carry up with me to break through this extremely hard substance

I use a digging bar.  It can be called a wrecking bar or heavy duty bar.  They're about $45 at home depot.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ludell-72-in-17-lb-San-Angelo-Heavy-Duty-Bar-50030/204326729

That will get through rock my pick can't.  It's also a great workout.

I do recommend detecting large chunks of the ore once you get it out of the whole.  I don't have a GM 1000, but I had some ore sounding off like a target to both my GPX 5000 and pinpointer, and did not sound like a hot rock.  I found that the ore was making the detector go off.  It didn't sound like a hot rock at all but a strong target.  I crushed the ore and panned and got nothing except mud and sand.  I've got a chunk of it in my garden for further investigation.  This ore looked no different than the surrounding rock, but along a certain wash would set the detector off with a good signal.

Good luck, I would suggest safety glasses and heavy gloves, when chiseling through hard rock chips can hit your eyes and really ruin your day!

Are you sure it's not quartz, I would doubt it's gypsum which is very soft a MOHS hardness of 2, quartz has a MOS hardness of 7.  

Best of luck, I hope it's a huge gold vein.  That being said, it sounds like hot ground to me.  The kind that just keeps on sounding off like a target no matter how much of it that chip away.  Keep in mind most vlfs don't pickup more than a few inches even on a big target,  I'd be surprised if it got a target deep enough to require a day of digging. 

Sometimes you'll get false target sounds if your detecting across a contact zone also, which happens to be where washes often form.  Make sure the target sound is reliable when checked from all angles, also as someone else said, a target in the side can often be very deceiving 

• Like 2

Are you in a known gold bearing area? If not, I'm with Ahorton...most likely hot ground. If you are, I hope it's a big un! Good luck!

Dean

Is there a bush hanging over your hole ? Ive had wire hanging in a bush close or above a hole more than once-figured it out after digging to BFE :grr01: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

well I have not made it back to that spot yet had an emergency call from my sister and had to drive down to the valley that night

17 hours ago, Ahorton10 said:

Best of luck, I hope it's a huge gold vein.  That being said, it sounds like hot ground to me.  The kind that just keeps on sounding off like a target no matter how much of it that chip away.  Keep in mind most vlfs don't pickup more than a few inches even on a big target,  I'd be surprised if it got a target deep enough to require a day of digging. 

have not dug for it a hole day spent about 2 hours trying to break through what ever the hard substance is I have detected large lead targets with the GM 1000 down to around 9-10 inches also with the X Terra 705

16 hours ago, Ahorton10 said:

Sometimes you'll get false target sounds if your detecting across a contact zone also, which happens to be where washes often form.  Make sure the target sound is reliable when checked from all angles, also as someone else said, a target in the side can often be very deceiving 

the spot where this target is is above a huge wash probable 60-70 feet above it is a good repeatable signal from all angles as I stated I cleared a spot where the target pin pointed to about 14 inches across and the GM only signals in the center of the hole so I do not believe it to be hot ground

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

Is there a bush hanging over your hole ? Ive had wire hanging in a bush close or above a hole more than once-figured it out after digging to BFE :grr01: Mike C...:200:

No bush hanging over location but i do know what you are saying about digging to BFE been there and done that

when I get back up to my place I will go back up the mountain and finish what I started

19 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Are you sure it's not quartz, I would doubt it's gypsum which is very soft a MOHS hardness of 2, quartz has a MOS hardness of 7.  

I do not know what it is just know that its really hard and my pick will not get through it not a geologist so I was trying to describe it as best I could it just looks like a gypsum but it could be quartz there is tons of quarts in the area I am detecting

Interesting and I as well would have to look, Gypsum is soft, a (2) on the harness scale and your would be able to chip into it with a pick I would think. If a harder mineral like Quartz or Calcite who knows what you have in there. I dug for several trips into a spot in Quartzsite where several of us on the forum were trying to excavate a target from solid mineralized Quartz and after breaking a pick and pry bar we finally got to it at about 8 inches into solid (we thought) rock.

It was a small brass blasting cap that had not detonated decades ago at the bottom of its hole. Sure sounded good and we all got a good laugh from that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

Yep I fell for that one a few times myself Mike.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike C... said:

Now who would let something that silly fool them? :200:

Or even the rusty can above the hole that blends in with the dirt?

Tom H.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I too have dug a huge "bunker" by a bush with a piece of wire hanging just above the hole. Haha wasn't a happy moment.

I found a target one time that was just like your explaining. Had to chip through all this hard concrete like rock. Chased and chipped for about 3 feet down when I finally reached the tip of the target. Turned out to be an exploration drill casing. During the reverse circulation process, water and rock chips are brought up from the bottom of the hole. When the target depth is reached, we would dump 3 sacks of concrete in the hole and it would mix with everything. Plugging the hole. Explanation just in case you didn't know how the process worked lol. I thought I found a huge gold ledge/vein.

Dan

Edited by nugget108
  • Like 3

Guilty also....good lesson though-:th:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DSMITH said:

I do not know what it is just know that its really hard and my pick will not get through it not a geologist so I was trying to describe it as best I could it just looks like a gypsum but it could be quartz there is tons of quarts in the area I am detecting

Pictures will help us help you.

• Like 3

Sometimes a length of discarded copper wire lying close by your hole will create a loud signal as if it's coming from the bottom of the hole.  I would enlarge the surface opening that is composed of soft, easy to scrape away material before proceeding further.  It would eliminate any non-ferrous item close by and could save you some blister producing, backache type of work.  But if there is no nearby object, then??????????  Maybe a YAHOO moment coming up.

• Like 1

If its stuck in hard caliche and its loud thats got my attention .

• Like 1