Nugget Shooter Forums
azdigger

Sumpin ain't right

'Oh ye of little faith', we all went through the dry spell some longer than others.  Don't think that all you have to do is get over the real thing.  I know that Tom and I when we first started missed some good gold.  We began in the heat of summer in the AZ desert and didn't connect for almost a year.  Only after help from the learned ones and boots on the ground did we score our firsts.  Man you got to pay your dues in this business. Once it clicks it seems like its down hill from there.  I wonder just how many guys and gals went to the Klondike and came home disappointed?  They gambled more than just a detector on their luck. This is supposed to be fun they tell me.  :thumbsupanim

Old Tom 

• Like 4

Old Tom,

Rick is presently on a skunk longer than any of us has ever heard of.  He has been around legends longer than I've been detecting.

Ask him ...

Good luck out there Rick.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Sometimes that dern skunk just latches on and ya just got to shake off  it with lots of time on the ground.  :)
Tom H.

• Like 2

If the weather holds nice  , I am thinking on going put on the 13th and going home on the15th....gonna pound the ground , got me a big rake , look out tailings :ROFL:

• Like 2

I found that a GB2 and a small rake are amazing ... I found areas out in Red Basin that just kept producing for years...They added up and the occasional larger nuggets spiced up the search ... Then I went back in with my good ol' Baboo 2100 and started pulling some nice deeper ones ... Gotta know when to use which tool! ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 8

azdigger, 

Your story is very much like mine.  I spent many hours trying to find my first nugget with a VLF detector (GMT).  No luck.  I think in highly mineralized areas the effective depth of a VLF is very much reduced. Also, target response from a nugget is usually subtle, more so than the trash you are finding even if it is the same size.  You may be missing nuggets because they are too deep, or the subtle signal from a nugget is assumed to be ground noise.  Those members successful with VLF detectors now are placering, vacuuming,  raking, or detecting over shallow bedrock.  They minimize the depth to the nugget.  Most of the nuggets found now are small.  After a time with no success you start fiddling with the settings because you start to distrust the detector, then you start question yourself.

If you can afford a new or used SDC 2300 I would highly recommend buying one.  They are excellent at finding small nuggets in highly mineralized soil.  It is a simple "turn on and detect" detector  My first nugget was found on my first trip out with my 2300.  

• Like 3

Was going to keep it a secret , I just bought a GPX 4500 , am waiting for it to get here............hope it is as easy to use  with factory set up as the videos make it look.

I chose the 4500 due to it can be very versatile with the different coils avalible  .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, azdigger said:

Was going to keep it a secret , I just bought a GPX 4500 , am waiting for it to get here............hope it is as easy to use  with factory set up as the videos make it look.

I chose the 4500 due to it can be very versatile with the different coils avalible  .

Uh-oh, there will no stopping you now if and when you find a nugget, you'll be hooked forever!!!

• Like 2

I think I am going to use the 11" mono that comes with it......

• Like 2

Congrats on the 4500......use the 11" Commander Mono supplied. This coil is underrated, don't know why..perhaps because all these new coils that claim  of supersensitivity is getting all the attention and sales. Took my 11" out last few days and scored some deep ones....

• Like 3

Good choice.  The 4500 is a very versatile detector considering all the coil options.  Just hook up that coil and go with the factory default settings to get started.  AND GOOD LUCK!!

• Like 1

I did the same thing earlier this summer. About a 30x15 foot area had been dug to bedrock by some dry washers, but I know these guys dont use a metal detector to check the ground afterwards. I took out my GM 1000 and went over it - the bedrock was pretty well mineralized but the GM 1000 discriminated out the mineral. However it did not see any good targets. I took out the SDC 2300 and went over the same ground and got 3 small nuggets, all missed by the GM 1000. VLF machines have both advantages (good discrimination) and dis-advantages (problems with mineralized ground). Look, mineralized ground affects the performance of VLF machines - its just a fact. In mild ground the VLF will pretty much equal the PI for depth with similar coil size, but in well mineralized ground, it just does not work out that way. Even if your VLF seems to be working OK, it is still loosing sensitivity and depth in that strongly mineralized ground. There is a reason why Minelab still makes PI and ZVT detectors - and its the same reason the real serious prospectors have other machines in addition to a VLF. The fact is that a VLF works great in some places, but in others - not so much.

• Like 4

Rick is already hooked.  He just needs to break that glacial ice which comes with him on each trip.

Mitchel

Thanks for the input, and thanks Chris, I am glad that I ain't the only one that has happened to.

I been watching and reading all I can find and will soon get to try it out.

Look out gold basin.