Nugget Shooter Forums
Rebel73153

My DIY Gas Vac

Decided i wanted a gas vac for vacuuming cracks and crevices but didn't want to spend $400+ to buy one. So checked Craigs List and found an Echo leaf blower about 65 miles north of us. So after a road trip north to get the blower i came home and put this together. It is built on a 2 gal. bucket since i wanted a smaller more compact one. I had the hose and fittings already so total investment was: Blower $50, gas for trip $15, lunch at Burger King $7 so a total of $72. And best of all when i started it after finishing it actually sucks material up. :ROFL:

IM002816.JPG

IM002818.JPG

IM002819.JPG

• Like 6

So now put the blower tube on and a piece of hose and you can also run drywasher :old:

• Like 1

That is what I did also :)
Couple of tips.....get a 5 gallon bucket. A 2 gallon will fill up fast.

Make a spout for the inside of the tube in the bucket that will point the dirt so it goes around.  You will be sucking the dirt right back out with your blower fan if you dont. PVC fitting from Home Depot should do it. Also, put a screen over the intake of the blower fan so you dont suck any bigger rocks through the fan and damage it.

Heres a pic.

Grab one of your cheap old flat tipped screwdrivers, grind it to a point and bend it to a little hook on the end. Scrape the crevices with it as your sucking up the material with the hose.

Another tip..........find out what kind of a carburetor it has and buy about 3 rebuild kits that have the diaphragms in it. Mine go bad every year with the ethanol in the gas.

(lots of pulling and hard starting when they get crispy and thats depressing out in the field) Start it up every time before you go out. You may have to adjust your carb a bit in the field as they are really sensitive to elevation changes.

My kits only cost 1.90 ea.

Good luck!

Tom H.

SAM_1720.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I have some small 20 mesh screen to put over the intake and i have an elbow pointing down inside the bucket. I also have an assortment of crevice tools already. But i will see about getting the carb kits. Good tip.:thumbsupanim  Tom. What diameter is your pick up hose? Mine is just about 1".

Edited by Rebel73153

Mines a old shop vac that I adapted a blower and lid for.

Hose is about 2"

Tom

Ahh, the old Shop Vac trick. lol I was going to do that but decided on the bucket. As long as they work not a bit of difference. Thanks.

You guys think the larger 2" hose and 5 gal bucket would give me More vacuum? Mine pics up material but is not all that impressive on vacuum. It will suck up dirt but not from much of a distance. Any help appreciated. 

I need to make me one , got the blower for my drywasher.

Looking at the size of the discharge/blower side, I would say, YES, a bigger hose would do better.

You may be necked down too much to create a lot of suction.

When sucking up dirt your only going to be working within 2-3 inches of your nozzle.

Tom H.

I just noticed in  your last pic of the hose....take that small nozzle off of it!

You want it wide open.

Tom H.

Protip: To efficiently clean out crevices take the plastic end off the hose and use your hand to squeeze down the end of the hose to match the size of the crevice you are working. You will be able to clean out the crevices better than using the standard vacuum crevice attachment.

DP

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 5

Thank you guys very much for the advice. I will try it tomorrow.

A piece of car radiator hose over the end can be easily distorted to fit into crevices and is still sturdy enough not to be sucked flat by the vacuum.

Rowdy

• Like 3

Well fellas, you were right on. I opened up the hole to 2" and it now has good suction. Thanks

• Like 3

The bigger bucket would be good, because they don't fill all the way up before the suction stops.  The 5 Gallon home made leaf blower vac I used would lose a lot of suction after it got about halfway full.  I'm guessing the two gallon bucket would be the same.  When we lugged the the 5 gallon vac from the truck to the creek, it would be good to stuff things in to carry down to the creek.

I wonder if you could use a material similar to the lawnmower bags to make a collapsible container. 

Yea, i am working on the 5 gal model today. Decided the 2 gal bucket was too small. Thanks

Finished the new and improved 5 gal version today and this one has Great suction. Thanks guys for all the helpful tips.

IM002820.JPG

IM002821.JPG

• Like 6

Now that looks like a real Crack Vac.  Remember to put something on the nozzle to be able to squeeze together to accommodate the cracks.  Run your motor before taking off, altitude do make a difference. :pop:

Old Tom 

• Like 1