Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
homefire

Twisting Up DIY Coils ?

LOL, Not really .  Now it's become my NEMESIS !  I do battle with the thing at least a hour a day.  Then I lick my wounds and go at it from another direction.  I figured it has a soft spot some place.  :brows:

• Haha 2

On 11/20/2017 at 9:50 AM, homefire said:

LOL, Not really .  Now it's become my NEMESIS !  I do battle with the thing at least a hour a day.  Then I lick my wounds and go at it from another direction.  I figured it has a soft spot some place.  :brows:

You've encountered a problem..?

I'm going to skip everything build-wise n guess it's with the re-programming / re-coding..?

I'm light-years behind on the new languages, but that wouldn't matter if what you're really needing is a different pair of eyes to help mebbie spot an un-closed bracket or a comma where a semi-colon should be etc..

Lemme know if you think that might could be it n can stand someone else having a look-see along with, 'k..?

Swamp

Swamp I'm trying to use a program that does most of what I need but not what I need the way I need it done.  It's just a matter of Butting Heads.

The Program will Print to the Specific LDC we are using. A Graphics LCD.  Not as easy as  say a Alpha Numeric type.   I just need it to print data from something it's not set up to do. 

I need this program to Print these values within reasonable real time yet I have to Juggle how the information is gathered and Handled  by the LCD.

All the data has to be gathered in a specified order as the sensors need time to settle down every time you  call fresh data from them.  Every time you print to the LCD things happen to the stuff you already printed and I'm trying to to avoid that.   I may end up just refreshing the LCD after ALL Data is updated but then I loose the Real time thing.

I simply do not know all the  code commands and syntax .  Every time I figure out what I need to do I need to learn how it can be done (Usually one of five ways) that's best for me and machine. 

I have all the Sub programs figured out.

Generate values from 4 individual MAX6675 , Thermocouple Amps. One at a time sequentially with required 200uS settling time.

Generate PSI Values from the Pressure Sensor .  Needed to Convert values sensor produces to something the Arduino can use and then to something that can be printed.  Gather a small sample of values, convert to a Mean Value to use.

Generate RPM values from the Points/Coil to something the Arduino can use and then something that can be printed.  Again Producing a Mean Value to be used with a given sample time.

Slow but surgically I'm winning the battle.   VARY SLOWLY !

• Like 3

Not a problem Sir.   This is going to happen.  I still have some wire missing over the China Sea some place.  LOL.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, homefire said:

Not a problem Sir.   This is going to happen.  I still have some wire missing over the China Sea some place.  LOL.

Oh Crap!

You might need to re-order, the wire you're waiting is most possibly in a North Korean missle by now!! :2mo5pow:

• Haha 2

LOL, Could be.  High Temp Silicone 14 AWG.  COMMUNIST RED in color too !   :ROFL:

https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-5-Meter-Red-Silicone-Wire-Cable-10121416182022AWG-Flexible-Cable-p-1170292.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

Edited by homefire
  • Haha 3

Need to Order More Wire for the TGSL Coil Project. The .2mm  (32 AWG) wire I ordered is NOT working out.  It will not allow me to obtain the required  6.5mH inductance with 23 -25 Ohms DC resistance.   Lessons Learned.

Found a new source for wire. Ordering some 30 AWG as I should have in the first place. Prices are more then Reasonable and Free Shipping.

https://www.remingtonindustries.com...HDKUuLicHI0Ww0iBNr2ong9CPoKry_8RoCGe8QAvD_BwE

• Like 1

On 11/24/2017 at 6:06 PM, homefire said:

Swamp I'm trying to use a program that does most of what I need but not what I need the way I need it done.  It's just a matter of Butting Heads... < snip >

Got it..

That plus in the interest of keeping down build outlay $$s this particular Arduino can only handle one stream at a time, right..?

Question: What are you calling real time refresh rate:
a) Under 7 sec..
b) Under 30 sec..
c) Over 30 sec..

To me, 7 seconds or less for certain applications is still real time.. For example: "Hello caller.. You're live on the air.."

Thirty seconds or less falls into a much more gray area -- good enough most of the time but not exactly what you'd want if a probable emergency situation is in the making..

Over thirty seconds and I can totally understand why you're pounding your haid against the wall.. And you've not been able to find these code commands & syntax on the net / interwebs..? Hmmm..

I have no doubt you'll eventually reach your goal.. Question being, when you do will that refresh be fast enough to cycle through all the affected streams..? That, or is there an 'over-ride' to continually monitor the important 'at that moment' info stream..? (I'm guessing default mode calls to cycle through all the info streams then repeat..)

What I'm getting at is it's worth getting an Arduino capable of processing multiple streams concurrently or at least another of the same to handle the two most important ones.. A second will fit back there and the expense for either is minute for being able to achieve maximum I/O from this level of instrumentation..

Merely my thoughts on the matter.. I don't think you'll hear Dave complain about small add'l outlay.. Plus when your sanity's involved it's, uhhh, ermmm -- did I just say sanity..? What I really meant to say is...................:4chsmu1:

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

As it's planned the only sorta Real Time sensitive thing we have is the RPM.  It looks like I will be able to keep that just at or just over a 1 second delay.  Not bad considering this Mega 2560 runs at a Breathtaking 16Mhz clock speed. It's possible to overclock them up to 20Mhz but not going to be needed.  I can get it down to a little less then that if I just do Periodic Updates on the other stuff.   Most of the time is lost waiting for the MAX 6675 to settle down on their data streams.  200mS delay is as fast as you can push them.   I only need like 10 samples each after that happens. 

Dave contributed a sum of funds on this project that I blew threw buying the basics.  He did his part.  All is good on that department.  The original deal was I build the Flight Package that project is in the wind.   I put the cart ahead of the Horse.  He needs the Engine Management first. 

http://henrysbench.capnfatz.com/henrys-bench/arduino-temperature-measurements/max6675-temp-module-arduino-manual-and-tutorial/

• Like 2

I can pony up a little more fairly soon if needed. Waiting for a deal to go through in a day or two. Would another donation of the same size help the cause?

2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

I can pony up a little more fairly soon if needed. Waiting for a deal to go through in a day or two. Would another donation of the same size help the cause?

Thank for the offer Dave but  we is good.  We have Everything needed in hand .  All Parts.  All Wire.  Connectors.  The Enclosure.  The Lot.  .  Just getting things done is the issue.  LOL

** Guess N. Korea didn't get your silicone wire.  It showed up yesterday !!!!!

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, homefire said:

Thank for the offer Dave but  we is good.  We have Everything needed in hand .  All Parts.  All Wire.  Connectors.  The Enclosure.  The Lot.  .  Just getting things done is the issue.  LOL

** Guess N. Korea didn't get your silicone wire.  It showed up yesterday !!!!!

That's great the wire came in, I was almost positive it was in the missle they just launched!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

That's great the wire came in, I was almost positive it was in the missle they just launched!!

They probably used my missing Arduino Nano for the Guidance System.  One went missing months ago and BanGGood reshipped it. 

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2017 at 1:13 PM, homefire said:

As it's planned the only sorta Real Time sensitive thing we have is the RPM.  It looks like I will be able to keep that just at or just over a 1 second delay.  Not bad considering this Mega 2560 runs at a Breathtaking 16Mhz clock speed. It's possible to overclock them up to 20Mhz but not going to be needed.  I can get it down to a little less then that if I just do Periodic Updates on the other stuff.   Most of the time is lost waiting for the MAX 6675 to settle down on their data streams.  200mS delay is as fast as you can push them.   I only need like 10 samples each after that happens...

To me that sounds real time enuff for intended purpose / usage.. Heck, early home-shot faster-action vids (tape at that time and digital would have acted the same had it already been available to the general public) where audio also is an important factor (which I'm basically talking bands kicking it on up-tempo tunes) get close to one second out-of-synch visual-to audio once beyond the 24 / 30 fps threshold.. It wasn't until 1080p playback/viewing got here for most, or, 60fps recording showed up for all of the video-to-audio weirdness to disappear thanks to improved headroom latitude.. Y'all know the vids I'm talking about too whether you know it or not: They're the ones that're both blurry (at end of) and choppy (between) each 'frame' and the guitarists are visually leaving out chords and not playing notes that're in the audio.. Now ya remember 'em, anddd know the reasons they am the way they was..

But anyhowww...

The remaining puzzle piece, I think, for me at least and to use your mention, is the amount of time needed to grab those 10 samples and the amount of time needed between each grab..? I can see & understand it being around 7 sec or even further north, but I can also see it down around 2 - 3 sec, possibly even faster. I just assume it has to do with settling / refresh rates, grab time and on-the-fly averaging..? Also, at the moment I've also been assuming 200mS as the minimum amount of time necessary between any-and-all steps / grabs / calculations / whatevers.. Correct or incorrect..? Or is that strictly a MAX 6675 dealie..? If strictly a 6675 thing, it's back to how much wait time between sample grabs..? Thanks..

You'se doin' a good job, Homie..

Swamp

All the Real delay is waiting for those dang 6675's. Getting sample after the 200mS is only a few clock beats. A all the other stuff including their samples just a few clock beats. It's the dang 6675's. Once I get the Box set up I'll try to get them to run with say 100Ms. I may get away with it.

• Like 1

TGSL Coil :   Ta DAAAAAAW!   Wire came today.  If you hears some cussing and what not, the Coil Sprang on me and I'll be on the floor looking like something a spider wrapped up !  :P

30AWG Wire.jpg

• Haha 4

Anyone know where I can come up with some spiral wrap like this but smaller ? https://www.banggood.com/5M-Spiral-Wire-Wrap-Tube-Manage-Cord-for-PC-Computer-Home-Cable-6-60MM-p-917640.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts&cur_warehouse=CN

7 hours ago, homefire said:

When you say smaller, do you mean in diameter or length?

49 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

When you say smaller, do you mean in diameter or length?

Yes, Diameter.  I need something like 1/4 or 3/8th not sprung. 

I looked before but couldn't find any that small.  .

Tankz

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1