Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
radssmith

Can't Identify Rough That I'm Cutting

Hello,

Kinda stuck here.....been cutting slabs and ran into a piece that I don't know what it is. It is very close on texture and hardness of Wonderstone: yet it is green and yellow banded. 

Everything I have is from North America, most I believe was collected from western states with some coming from the midwest. Purchased an entire collection from a local rockhound who has passed away. He was not the greatest in marking samples or origins. Here is a picture of two slabs and the end cut show the exterior surface. Shown wet, my daughter has named it "Pickle Rick" jasper....very swirly and agatey looking.    Thank you in advance, Rads

20170915_193859.jpeg

I'm leaning towards Jasper of some type also. Looked at a few of the Mt. Shasta varieties, it has a good possibility of being from  that area.

Stopped cutting the green stuff until I can positively identify it, did cut some nice picture jasper tho. (from the same box as the green stuff)

20170902_182034.jpeg

For the "Pickle Rick" sample, normal questions:

1) hardness on Mohs scale?

2) does any part "fizz" if you place warm vinegar or dilute HCL acid on it?

3) any cleavage visible, if so, what angles?

4) color of streak for yellow & green minerals?

Very pretty samples!

I do not have a set of hardness testing tools yet; so I used this method.....Metal will not scratch it. Agate will scratch it lightly, Quartz will leave a scratch that will catch a finger nail.

Does not fizz to warm vinegar. 

If it does leave a streak on a tile back, it would be white. Will actually gouge out a groove easily in tile back I use leaving a white pile  of powder from the tile.

Cleavage is very not distinct.  Trying to dig out a larger piece to photograph whole, but not positive where that would be yet. All 5 gallon buckets should be see thru.

What type of metal did you use?  Copper wire, steel knife blade?  Makes a big difference.

Ahhh...Found it. Here is a large uncut chunk.

The grain has no shine to it, no glint at any angle. It end fractures and has conchoidal scallops out of areas.

Here are 3 overall and one close up of the surface grain.20170919_115131.jpeg20170919_115141.jpeg20170919_115210.jpeg20170919_115156.jpeg

Northern California where Mt. Shasta is, has many different types of rocks. Here's some I picked up this last weekend:

20170919_092044_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Hard to believe that your fist photo and the last are of the same stuff, COOL!  I'm going with Meta-Quartzite with some green stuff.  Way to may minerals that green to venture a guess based solely on a photo.

LipCa, very nice Gniess(s)!

I've seen this stuff before but can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

Ricolite, never heard of it until now but a quick Google and a variation of Ricolite (Serpentine) would seem to fit the bill s far as hardness, massive texture and the foliation that the sample displays.  Ricolite is more green with white streaks, but nothing says it cannot be yellow with green stripes.  Ha, maybe you can name it Yicolite, radssmith.  LOL!

• Like 1

Seems kind of like a jasper-like rock. Reminds me of ocean jasper (at least when cut)

• Like 1

Ricolite it is.......Pickle Ricolite....lol. rick.jpg

The first photo was shown wet; dried it is green and white. Am very glad I stopped cutting it until an ID was made. Now, there are more possibilities to best bring out the patterns. Some high domes should really nice, maybe a couple pendants.  Thanks for the input from all......One more picture......found it while digging out the second piece of Ricolite......Malachite marked "Morenci" ( or close, writing is smeared badly). Biggest weighs about 1.5 lbs. 20170922_113220.jpeg

19 minutes ago, radssmith said:

Malachite marked "Morenci" ( or close, writing is smeared badly). Biggest weighs about 1.5 lbs. 20170922_113220.jpeg

If the color is green or greenish, then I would agree it's marked properly. Morenci is a famous copper mineral locality.