Nugget Shooter Forums
homefire

Near UV Flash Light

Homey I don't know what the watts or lumens are on it? Its bright.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

1 hour ago, AzNuggetBob said:

This is what I use. I modded it a bit. it used to use a big ol drop in carbon 12V battery. I wired it with a 4' extension wire so I could use rechargeable gel cells on my nugget hunting belt. takes all the weight off your arm and lasts all nite. the aluminum cap on the front snaps off and you move it the top or bottom for long wave or short wave. it also has a small bulb on top is for a standard flash light so you can see where your walking. I'm thinking about changing it to a camcorder battery but I don't know if it will last all nite. It uses one of those long standard florescent bulbs with specialized glass lens. Its old school but works great. I got it on ebay for about $20.00  It will light up rocks and critters for about twenty yards.  your not going to get that out of a little pocket flashlight. Its a real light show on a dark nite and its found me a lot of purddy rocks and gem stones.  its also a nice switch from nugget hunting at nite.
AzNuggetBob

gem light 001.JPG

gem light 002.JPG

gem light 003.JPG

That's quite a great deal. I'm in the market for a used longwave -shortwave uv lamp like that myself. Have been scouring eBay with no success so far. One of these days I'll find something.

4 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

This is what I use. I modded it a bit. it used to use a big ol drop in carbon 12V battery. I wired it with a 4' extension wire so I could use rechargeable gel cells on my nugget hunting belt. takes all the weight off your arm and lasts all nite. the aluminum cap on the front snaps off and you move it the top or bottom for long wave or short wave. it also has a small bulb on top is for a standard flash light so you can see where your walking. I'm thinking about changing it to a camcorder battery but I don't know if it will last all nite. It uses one of those long standard florescent bulbs with specialized glass lens. Its old school but works great. I got it on ebay for about $20.00  It will light up rocks and critters for about twenty yards.  your not going to get that out of a little pocket flashlight. Its a real light show on a dark nite and its found me a lot of purddy rocks and gem stones.  its also a nice switch from nugget hunting at nite.
AzNuggetBob

gem light 001.JPG

gem light 002.JPG

gem light 003.JPG

I've got one of the Way Too Cool dual 18watt units. Much like yours. At one point I even mounted it on a long handle like a detector, but it wears me out using it that way, even with a support cord. I run it with a pair of NICAD battery packs. Each one uses 10 'D' cells. With both the LW & SW bulbs on, it will run about 2 hours on each pack.

P5150001.JPG

P5150002.JPG

• Like 1

Cool Jim I was thinking about putting a crash guard on the front of mine. Ive already dropped it a couple times and Im thinking if I break the lens glass they may be hard to find. 

Also Morlock If you can find the lens glass you could make one out of a plain o'l fluorescent flashlight.

BTW Jim are you trying to light up the country side with that thing. :yesss:

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Homey I dont know if you could do the same thing with the same results with those new LED's, Maybe. if you stacked up a bunch of them side by side and possibly with a lot less battery?. AzNuggetBob

9 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Cool Jim I was thinking about putting a crash guard on the front of mine. Ive already dropped it a couple times and Im thinking if I break the lens glass they may be hard to find. 

Also Morlock If you can find the lens glass you could make one out of a plain o'l fluorescent flashlight.

BTW Jim are you trying to light up the country side with that thing. :yesss:

AzNuggetBob

It is BRIGHT, especially with both bulbs on. I had the idea to use it for diamond prospecting in Wyoming. I thought I'd need lots of light as diamonds are so small. Found out western Wyoming is loaded with fluorescent material, and it's hard to separate everything. I've also got one of the little LED flashlights that works pretty good for checking found material for fluorescence, but it's not much help for general scanning. Way Too Cool also sells a pretty powerful LED flashlight, but it costs about $80. The real cost in all this stuff is the filters. The cheap LED lights have lousy filters, and allow a lot of white light through, dimming the fluorescence.

Jim

Yea the LED are good these days but not as good as the old bulbs.  Didn't think about filters.  I'll have a look see what's out there.    The Near UV around 400nM is not as hot on some minerals but still useful and CHEAP !    People think LED are power savers but in fact what they don't need in Voltage the SUCK YOU DRY in current to produce any real amount of light. 

Homey, for my use an LED would have worked well enough. Especially one of the Way Too Cool LED's. But, they didn't have them when I bought mine. Most gemstones fluoresce under LW, so the LED works good for that. For general mineral fluorescence, the SW is better. It's like detectors...depends on the ground, and what you're trying to find.

Jim