Nugget Shooter Forums
homefire

Near UV Flash Light

Ordered a couple Near UV LED's to play with along with my normal parts order from Good Ol China.

BangGood:  LUSTREON™ 3W UV Purple LED ...     x 1     $2.69
400 - 405nm   Near UV.  True UV starts at 400nm.  

Excellent for Florescent Minerals , Scorpion Finding and what not.  Good Fun.

Purchased a $2.00 LED Flashlight from the Dollar Store. Gutted the poor thing.  Figured out a 18650 rechargeable Li Ion with a spacer fits rather

well replacing the three cell AAA Battery carrier they come with. 

This thing is quite Bright for what it is.  3 Watts of Near UV does crazy stuff in absolute darkness. 

Unable to show you good photo's , the camera see's the Near UV light like you see normal.  

Total Cost under $5.00

The LED is getting a bit too hot on this one.  I need to put some Heat Sink Grease under the LED on the Next One.

UVlight.jpg

UVlight.1.jpg

Exploded.jpg

UVlight.2.jpg

Beads.jpg

Edited by homefire
  • Like 3

Thats cool. I bought a cheap one from walgreens or wherever and like all the cheap led flashlights...the switch promptly failed. The LED's were tiny as well. A 3w would be far and away superior. We have quite a few fluorescent minerals here and it would be nice to have something a little brighter :)

PM yur Address.  Santa may come early.

• Like 1

Look for it on the envelope of the money order I'm sending you... 

• Like 1

PM Send

LOL,   I need to make a  Mark II  ..... This one is getting too Hot.  I didn't think  to put a Heat Sink under the LED.  These LED's  are hungry.  They pull 750mAh.  A healthy 18650 should be good for at least a couple of hours of continuous use if the LED doesn't emit the Magic Genie Smoke.   Ordered a 365nm UV LED for the next one.  More into the Black Light Spectrum.

Stay Tuned !  Will the Genie Get Out ?  Will Homefire Need a Red and White Cain ? 

Ultraviolet A UVA 315–400 3.10–3.94, 0.497–0.631 Long-wave, black light, not absorbed by the ozone layer

Yeah those 3w really suck some juice! I have a 3w white led flashlight and it will drain a good 18650 in a couple hours running full time...and it gets pretty warm too. 

Aye you guys , is it possible to use one of those "shaker" type flashlights that ya shake and it creates a charge to power itself, and just change the bulb over to the uv led yer using ??

On 3/8/2018 at 6:53 AM, frank c said:

Aye you guys , is it possible to use one of those "shaker" type flashlights that ya shake and it creates a charge to power itself, and just change the bulb over to the uv led yer using ??

If you use the Small LED it will work.. Those Shake powered flashlights just don't have the  Emmmph in mA to drive these 3W LEDs.   These will work with like 2omA.  I can send you a few if you want to try them.  Near IR.  Not Shorter then 400nm but work quite well on ole Mr Scorpion and most Florescent minerals. 

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/leds/round-leds/5mm-leds/uv-ultraviolet.html

• Like 2

Gottcha, it was a thought , just tryn to get around batteries for power.

Frank c.  PM me a Address and I'll pop a few in a envelope  along with some crib notes for you.   

• Like 2

PM Receive. Actions Pending. 

Posted (edited)

After I relocated the UV LED's I put in a Safe Place LOL I popped this together in like 10 minutes.  One of those Dollar Store Head Band lights.  The lights come with batteries for  a Dollar..Takes two small 2032 batteries  . Replacement batteries again a Dollar    at the Dollar Store  . 

Put two of these LED's in it.  Not vary bright but sure would find Mr Scorpion in a tent.  When you look into these thing when on it's BAD Ju Ju  on your eyes.  Your eyes don't see the full spectrum of the light just a purple soft looking light.   When in fact there BRIGHT as Ell and not good for you. 

If you look at them when ON via your cell phone Camera you can see what's really going on.

UV MOD Light.jpg

UV MOD light ON.jpg

Edited by homefire

Homefire, we are going out to an area this weekend that has fluorescents, I'm gonna give that headlamp a go around.
Thank You.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, frank c said:

Homefire, we are going out to an area this weekend that has fluorescents, I'm gonna give that headlamp a go around.
Thank You.

Cool Beans.   Being Near UV not True UV it can do quite well on some minerals.  Not bad for $1.oo head lamp and two ten cent led's eaa?

• Like 1

Shipping on that thing is more then the thing is worth.  Dang !   Yep,  there are issues trying to ship Li Ion Batteries. 

Posted (edited)

It looks like these are longwave. Can you get cheap shortwave flashlights? Shortwave is best for florescent minerals.

Edited by Morlock

I don't think they can do true SW with LED's. I've been waiting for that to replace my 18W SW/LW light.

Jim

Posted (edited)

This is what I use. I modded it a bit. it used to use a big ol drop in carbon 12V battery. I wired it with a 4' extension wire so I could use rechargeable gel cells on my nugget hunting belt. takes all the weight off your arm and lasts all nite. the aluminum cap on the front snaps off and you move it the top or bottom for long wave or short wave. it also has a small bulb on top is for a standard flash light so you can see where your walking. I'm thinking about changing it to a camcorder battery but I don't know if it will last all nite. It uses one of those long standard florescent bulbs with specialized glass lens. Its old school but works great. I got it on ebay for about $20.00  It will light up rocks and critters for about twenty yards.  your not going to get that out of a little pocket flashlight. Its a real light show on a dark nite and its found me a lot of purddy rocks and gem stones.  its also a nice switch from nugget hunting at nite.
AzNuggetBob

gem light 001.JPG

gem light 002.JPG

gem light 003.JPG

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 2

Industrial strength. I like it.

• Haha 1

Cool.   Toys like that are hard to find any more.     How much current does it need ?   A few 18650 Li Ion would be a pile lighter then a gell cell.

It gets the job done slim. another thing I like about it is it has a very wide view.

AzNuggetBob