Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TomH

41 LaSalle hood ornament

Thought I would explain the plating process on this one. A lot of people think you just dip it in a big bucket of chrome and WHALA!

I wish

Once you get the part, you have to strip it and take out casting lines/fix flaw/cracks and such. Usually the stripping is done by blasting with garnet. Then each pit has to be drilled out to get the corrosion out (like a cavity). After that more blasting.
Next the part goes into a neutral nickel strike bath to put a "primer" plate on and then into the acid copper.
After the acid copper I can solder all the pits and flaws. Lots of sanding/filing lead...more solder...sand..ect until all the flaws are fixed.

Then blast, back into the nickel bath and then 2 hrs of acid copper.

Sand the flaws out, more copper plating, sand....usually 3 or for times like this until the part is perfect and smooth.

All the time, making sure the parts still fit together and dont get built up from the plating.

Next comes buffing to a high shine. If there are any defects at this point the bright nickel/chrome will only magnify them....not hide them.

So they have to be perfect at this stage.

After buffing and cleaning in hot dawn soap, they go into the bright nickel bath for a half hour and then into the chrome.

If youve done everything right your happy....if not, you get to fix some things! :(

Oh and BONUS....you have to keep the chemistry of the baths all in balance otherwise you can have some major issues that affect the plating.

This is a 41 LaSalle hood ornament that was pitted pretty badly and cracked. Originally this was the hood release on the Cadillac so it took some abuse as you would pull it up to open the hood.

Tom H.

DSC03799.JPG

DSC03809.JPG

DSC03813.JPG

SAM_1540.JPG

SAM_1544.JPG

SAM_1548.JPG

SAM_1552.JPG

SAM_1655.JPG

SAM_1656.JPG

SAM_1679.JPG

Edited by TomH
  • Like 5

That is amazing, and I thought all ya had to do was shake the can for 2 min. and spray :ROFL:.

Very informative , thanks

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, azdigger said:

That is amazing, and I thought all ya had to do was shake the can for 2 min. and spray :ROFL:.

Very informative , thanks

Yah! I wish! :)
Tom

• Haha 1

Kudos to you Tom, I can almost imagine having to do all that work, but I'm sure mine wouldn't look as nice as yours!!

Thanks for posting the photos of the process, when I read your text I was hoping you would!  :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

I've seen first hand all the effort Tom puts into these. 

As always awesome workmanship:thumbsupanim