Nugget Shooter Forums
Morlock

Solar Eclipse on August 21st

How many of you guys are going to be able to witness (knock on wood) next Monday? While I've been seen a partial eclipse, I've never seen a total one. Some people describe it as a almost mystical experience. I hope everyone along the path can witness it. The last cosmic sighting I saw was the Hale-Bopp comet back in the late 90's.

It ought to be pretty dark where you're at ..I heard that welding glasses/goggles s/b at least #12 shade or better... will probably make a pinhole viewer to see aprox. 70% obscurity

Edited by weaver hillbille

whole-us.jpg

Edited by weaver hillbille

I've manged to see a total eclipse twice in this life.   Last three have been obscured by weather.   It's foretasted to do the same for us here.    Wicked Wanda the Wonder Wife purchased two Eclipser  safe solar glasses at wally world for a dollar a pair.   I think they won't have  chance to be used.  SAD.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Edited by homefire

Headed up to Idaho to view then off for some detecting. Weather looks perfect for the Eugenes on the way home.

I understand you still won't be able to see the full eclipse in AZ.  :2mo5pow:  If you're in Phoenix, this is the best you'll see ...  (sorry to rain on the parade)

Eclipse.JPG

2 hours ago, Andyy said:

I understand you still won't be able to see the full eclipse in AZ.  :2mo5pow:  If you're in Phoenix, this is the best you'll see ...  (sorry to rain on the parade)

Eclipse.JPG

That's about all it will be here in New Mexico.

I can go 90 miles north to Charleston S.C. where my daugther is and see it at 100% but it going to be 97% here where I live and that's good enough for me, I have seen 1 total eclipse and 2 annular eclipses (very close to a total eclipse) and don't remeber how many partials.

I was telling a fellow at work a total eclipse is sorta like a drug induced blackout back in the 60s and early 70s, at first eveything is all bright and then slowly goes to dark :th:and then a few minutes later, sometimes longer the brightness comes back!!! :ROFL:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So I am half way between Medford and Klamath Falls Oregon, I would rather be digging rocks. My auto darkening helmet for welding is safe for me to view this situation ?

I think if they are rated 14 or above, you should be ok. You can buy a pair of cheap paper ones for about $2.00 or $3.00 in most retail stores.

17 hours ago, Andyy said:

Eclipse.JPG

It still should get kind of eiry out, like the last one.

Tom H.

Watch out a zillion phoney viewing glasses sold on amazon and other sites. They even have the proper numbers as the real ones and amazon,others has sent out warning notices. Great to see but what a bummer get rich schemes are at play with your eyesight!! John:grr01:

I've never seen one. I don't remember if its just too far north to see them in Alaska, or more than likely it was cloudy. It's cloudy in AK 90% of the time. Maybe this time I'll at least see a little bit of one. 

Who uses a shade #12 lens? I can hardly see enough to keep a straight bead with a #10 lens!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Hoser John said:

Watch out a zillion phoney viewing glasses sold on amazon and other sites. They even have the proper numbers as the real ones and amazon,others has sent out warning notices. Great to see but what a bummer get rich schemes are at play with your eyesight!! John:grr01:

Amazon is giving refunds to people who brought glasses in their website that turned out to be phoney. Don't know how they determined that. I wouldn't buy any glasses if they came from China. That's for sure.

This might help.

https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters

eclipses.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hoser John said:

oh no... you mean these might not work??

Shades.JPG

• Irritated 1

NOPE !   Bad Ju Ju.  

6 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

I've never seen one. I don't remember if its just too far north to see them in Alaska, or more than likely it was cloudy. It's cloudy in AK 90% of the time. Maybe this time I'll at least see a little bit of one. 

Who uses a shade #12 lens? I can hardly see enough to keep a straight bead with a #10 lens!

I would imagine you've seen the northern lights which are probably more beautiful then a eclipse of any type.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Someone who believes the sun is brighter than a welding arc?:brows:

I think my auto darkening helmet is only 11

I have cheap but approved cardboard glasses for viewing the eclipse. If you look at the "lens" from the front, it looks like aluminum foil. Whatever they're made of, no doubt they will keep the harmful rays out. Can't try them out today since it's too cloudy. 

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

I would imagine you've seen the northern lights which are probably more beautiful then a eclipse of any type.

Indeed they are. Absolutely enchanting until you realize its -40° and scurry back inside before your nose hairs freeze solid. Still worth seeing because there is no other show like it!

2 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

Someone who believes the sun is brighter than a welding arc?:brows:

I think my auto darkening helmet is only 11

Mine is the same Weav. Should be good enough for a quick peek :)

I have to drive about 5 miles to be in totality. Thankfully I can get there on back roads. They're predicting as many as 500,000 people coming to this part of Idaho. I can't even imagine what the traffic is going to look like. Watching the tourists may be more interesting than the eclipse!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's going to be crazy here also. Area hotels and motels all booked up. Weather is looking good so far also but that could change quickly.

This PDF file explains everything one would need to know about safely viewing the solar eclipse or if you just want to stare at the sun from time to time!!

You can skip some of this as it's gets into the science of sunlight, etc. and the injury effects of sunlight on the human eye, about halfway through the PDF  they list what can be used to safely view the sun/eclipse.

https://eclipse.aas.org/sites/eclipse.aas.org/files/AAS-Chou-Solar-Eclipse-Eye-Safety.pdf

• Thanks 1

Guess I am lucky...I got a solar filter for my telescope to use.

• Like 1