Nugget Shooter Forums
campbell954

Well Its Finally Happened.....

I've got someone who has filed a claim over the top of a claim that I have had since 2009.   This individual's claim lies completely within the borders of my claim.  All is current with my claim, annual paperwork through 2018, markers, and a bonus sign are posted and have been posted since 2009.  I sent him a letter last week, asking him to call in regards to his claim.  I did not go into detail in that letter as to the issues.  I am preparing to send another letter that will include a map showing my claim coordinates and his coordinates, plotted inside my claim.  I will include my Location Notice and I will send this "Certified Mail".  I was hoping to show him his honest mistake before he does his annual paperwork, but have not been contacted by him yet.  He should have gotten the letter last Thursday.  I am confident (hoping) this was an honest mistake and showing him the documents well quickly resolve the issue.  But if not, then what??

Thank you,

-Joe

Hmmmmmm that is a bummer to have to deal with for sure, has this person been actively sampling or mining as well? I think I would also contact the BLM to let them know what is going on before it comes to a head if this person is not going to be reasonable. 

When did he or they file this claim ?  Certified letter.  Explaining his  Error.    Not just a Hello can we talk.   Hope he contacts you.    If not I'd be making sure whether or not he files his papers here next month. 

• Like 1

I learned two weeks ago the BLM will not offer any help in this issue. Your better off contacting him on your own. Hopefully you can catch him working your claim and have a talk with him about mineral trespass? Or if he lives near by maybe stop by his house and have a chat. Definitely a sticky situation if the other claimant doesn't want to back down as this can only be settled in court. But your claim is posted, you have signs, and paperwork is current with BLM and county recorder so it will be easy for you to prove you have been maintaining the claim since 2009 and the other guy is in error with his posting. I hope the guy is reasonable and backs down because there is still lots of gold out there and its not worth fighting over.  

DP

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 4
  • Irritated 1

Thank you for the advice gentlemen

Mr. Southern - if he has been doing any work, it's been small and the evidence erased by the monsoons.  

Homefire - yes that would be the easiest solution, not paying fees.  We all know he is wasting money and time if he does.

Desertpilot - Yes, BLM now has small signs posted around the help counter in their PHX office removing any doubt as to what they will do in resolving these issues - NOTHING.  I remember back when I filed the Location Notice for this claim, Susie checked their data base and actually questioned me about any surrounding claims, not anymore I'm guessing.  He does live close by and I have considered having a chat with him, but recognize that showing up at his home could go sideways fast.  The thought also occurred to me that there is nothing valid about his claim.  The only thing he can do is pay fees to BLM once a year.  He can't work the claim.  He can't sell it.  

Edited by campbell954
  • Like 2

I made an honest mistake on my first claim, and a realized about a month after I filed.  I never worked it and let the claim expire.

Getting hard or impossible to honestly research a claim.  The BLM doesn't maintain their site, and Maricopa County charges per record.

If he is looking open ground up in the BLM's public database to see about open or expired claims, the LR2000 reports do not work anymore.  MyLandMatters.org does though.  If you send him to that site, maybe it'll help. 

The only other site that has info on claims is the county recorder, and Maricopa is not easy to use.  Way I do online searches in county records for Maricopa is to focus on recent mining claims to see if anyone has filed on the area I'm researching.  I tried this in February on the Maricopa County recorder site, and they charged me $1 to view an unofficial copy.  I have never approached the county recorder to so an old fashioned document search with real papers, but I think they maintain it electronically anyway. Also in a county with 4 million people, I doubt they're that customer friendly.

Also on the ground there's too many places markers could be geometrically and if you find a marker maybe it has papers and maybe these papers are still there.  Maybe the guy walked the four corners, found nothing and posted.  His claim is entirely inside yours so could happen, especially with a bigger claim.

Edited by chrisski

Chris,

I'm surprised your having issues with LR2000? I've been running quite a few reports the last couple of weeks and been doing ok using the system. I guess I'm lucky in southern AZ. For Cochise county I can look up the county recorder database for free online at home and for Pima county I can go to the recorder office and research for free on their computers in the lobby. To avoid printer fees I just take pictures with my cell phone. 

The mylandmatters.org is my go to page for looking for new areas to prospect then I drill down with LR2000 and finally the county recorders office. Once you learn all the tricks to using the map interface on land matters you relize it's a pretty powerful tool for the prospector.

I agree with you not knowing the size of Joe's claim he could have easily posted his claim without seeing Joe's posts.

DP

I use the LR2000 pretty frequently. Sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn't work well at all. I have found if you do a search and the response page hangs up if you do the same search again right away it does load. Weird but it works most times.

Then there are the times when the LR2000 just fails, not as often as it used to but several times a month it just kind of fades away for a few minutes to an hour or more. It is what it is. I'm lucky that I have a local copy of their entire database that I update twice a month so I'm always within a week or two of being current even when the LR2000 isn't responding well. It would be pretty frustrating if I had to work with the online version all the time.

Chris - Maricopa County filings are free. Just ignore the "gimme a buck" button and click on the "number of pages" in the file description. That's in green and when you click on it a PDF will be linked to with a photocopy of the filing. I just right click and choose save in my browser when the PDF pops up. It's the same thing you get when you pay a buck without paying a buck.

• Like 4

I sent a certified letter out to the individual Monday (thanks to a member here who provided some sample documents).  I received a phone call from this individual yesterday.  All was just an error by someone new.  All four of my corners are still marked, with the paperwork still present.  This person stated he saw this paperwork (NOL), but didn't understand what he was looking at and thought the 2009 date meant it was expired.  In the end it worked out as I had hope, just an error by someone not quit familiar with how its done.

Thank you all for your help.  Thank you to the person who provided the sample documents.  I believe the document prompted a quick response by this person.

-Joe

PS:  LR2000 (yes it does go down time to time), the county recorder website (Yavapai), Google Earth, Nat Geo maps and a good hand held gps have not let me down yet.  A persons gotta do their research.

Edited by campbell954
  • Like 7

Glad it worked out ok...

• Like 3

Cool minds end hot situations-nice ending-John

• Like 4

How's it go ?  CHit Happens.  LOL

• Like 1

Sure loving the happy ending and all is well till next time..... Glad you brought this topic here as the educational value was priceless to folks.

• Like 3