Nugget Shooter Forums

Man I have to tell you that all this rain here and other disasters like fire have really changed the landscape in many areas I hunt. I am truly amazed and how much material has been moved, moved around, or is newly exposed by fire waiting for my metal detectors. Plus not only is allot of earth changes there have also over the last couple years been changes in detecting technology! Like being able to hunt freshly burned areas without dealing with charcoal driving the detector crazy. 

A couple areas I hunt quite often have had so much rain in a short time that washes are almost unrecognizable the material has been moved around so much and add to that the erosion on hillsides has also been huge in some areas allowing us to hear a few inches deeper in some areas. 

My  too do list is long this season and I am excited with a hand full of new toys and a bad case of cabin fever, I am excited about this year :yesss:  

• Like 9

And remember, that exposed bedrock has been acting like a sluice, trapping the nuggets. 

2 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

And remember, that exposed bedrock has been acting like a sluice, trapping the nuggets. 

Man , that is good thinking......Never even occurred to me !   Try digging a small nugget on bedrock underwater......Now thats a problem !

Edited by adam

Slim is just smarter than the rest of us!  haha

Can't wait to be able to get down into the burn area around and near Mayer ... The burn destroyed a lot of the area I spend time in ... In fact the FS has the road access closed to the area until at least September 30th according to the last time I checked last week. Reason being is that they are afraid someone will get caught in a flash flood with all the rain we have been getting of late. I personally think they are looking at closing more roads and trails as has been done in other areas in the past. I hope I am wrong but ... well ... stuff happens!

Mike F

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Furness said:

Can't wait to be able to get down into the burn area around and near Mayer ... The burn destroyed a lot of the area I spend time in ... In fact the FS has the road access closed to the area until at least September 30th according to the last time I checked last week. Reason being is that they are afraid someone will get caught in a flash flood with all the rain we have been getting of late. I personally think they are looking at closing more roads and trails as has been done in other areas in the past. I hope I am wrong but ... well ... stuff happens!

Mike F

Think there's going to be a lot of guys out there detecting initially. Your lucky, you live right down the street from it :) I don't think that main road behind Mayer will get closed, it leads to palace station. But, they have done stupider things in the past. There are other ways in but your facing a 5-10 thousand dollar fine if they catch you. 

Tom H.

• Like 1

I can get in from other directions with my RZR but as you say ... heavy fines if caught! I don't need that so I will wait and see what happens!

10 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

I can get in from other directions with my RZR but as you say ... heavy fines if caught! I don't need that so I will wait and see what happens!

"What-in-the-world are you two talking about???"  I have driven up into the burn zone via the Grapevine road no less than 5-times now, and have been detecting in various spots.   I haven't had an issue with anyone!!!!  As a matter of fact, last week when I was driving out (after detecting for about an hour, and after the heat, humidity and bugs run me out)  I passed a Forest Service pickup heading up the road in the opposite direction.  We waved to each other and went our own ways.  Based on what I read ( the first day that I went into the burn zone) on a Forest Service plackard, the map had a high lighted-red area marked up at the breeze pines area that was restricted from entering, as there is still forest up there that could be started aflame, but the burn zone was not part of that restricted area.  Now, even the plackard sign has been moved to the side of the road.  When I was up there last week huge stacks of straw (maybe 100-bails) have been placed in two locations along the dirt road in the burn zone, so the Forest Service has contracted with a company to (I would assume) blow straw all over that area to stop, or at least slow down the erosion when it rains,...  and it has been raining A lot over in that area (almost every other day).  Gary   

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, GDM/PV said:

"What-in-the-world are you two talking about???"  I have driven up into the burn zone via the Grapevine road no less than 5-times now, and have been detecting in various spots.   I haven't had an issue with anyone!!!!  As a matter of fact, last week when I was driving out (after detecting for about an hour, and after the heat, humidity and bugs run me out)  I passed a Forest Service pickup heading up the road in the opposite direction.  We waved to each other and went our own ways.  Based on what I read ( the first day that I went into the burn zone) on a Forest Service plackard, the map had a high lighted-red area marked up at the breeze pines area that was restricted from entering, as there is still forest up there that could be started aflame, but the burn zone was not part of that restricted area.  Now, even the plackard sign has been moved to the side of the road.  When I was up there last week huge stacks of straw (maybe 100-bails) have been placed in two locations along the dirt road in the burn zone, so the Forest Service has contracted with a company to (I would assume) blow straw all over that area to stop, or at least slow down the erosion when it rains,...  and it has been raining A lot over in that area (almost every other day).  Gary   

Hmm...interesting. I was going by this.

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2017/aug/02/goodwin-fire-area-closures-still-effect/

Donno?

Waiting for a call back from one of the fire guys at the Prescott forest office.

They might be lifting the restrictions but not letting people know to keep traffic down?

Tom H.

Edited by TomH

Tom, I also know of another FS road on the north side of the Bradshaws that had been closed with a barricade just following the fire.  The location was not even close to the burn zone (probably at least 30 miles away) but they closed it anyway.  It has been a good month or so since they put the fire out and the barricade is still up.  I drove over again last week and talked to a residential property owner to see if they knew anything new.  They told me that they, as well as other property owners in the area have been using the road for 2-3 weeks now without any issues from the FS.  They have been driving their quads, atc's, motorcycles, and pickups up the road, just driving around the barricade.  They said that the FS must have forgotten about the barricade, but no one has been approached, questioned, stopped, nor fined about using the road.  SOOOOOOOOOOOOO,  who knows,..:idunno:   it's government ya know :nutty: Gary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDM/PV said:

it's government ya know :nutty: Gary

Kind of like our dear leader in the oval office.

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

Kind of like our dear leader in the oval office.

He detects for gold also? Cool! :yesss:

Tom H.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, GDM/PV said:

Hi Gary ... I was making reference to Jefferson Road in Mayer heading toward the 'Cedar Tank'. Curiosity got to me so I took a ride over there this afternoon. Here is a picture of the barricade.

Jefferson Mayer 8-14-17 - Copy.jpg

• Like 3

Mike: Did you read the bulletin with the closure map?
Tks for taking the ride :)
Tom

• Like 1

Yes ... It spoke about the Prescott Basin and the Lynx Lake/Creek areas being open some time back in July depending on the area. The area I am interested in is closed until they decide to open it. There was no date posted but I was talking to a reliable source a couple days ago who has been in touch with the lady at the Prescott Forest HQ who told him it would probably stay closed until end of September ... which is way to long as I see it. They say they are afraid some fool will get up there and get hurt in a flash flood! Really? I was born at night but it wasn't last night! Come on ... I really don't think that excuse holds much water! I think they are just biding time to be able to close trails etc and keep us out like they have done off Iron Spring Road south of Prescott heading toward Skull Valley. 

Mike

2 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

like they have done off Iron Spring Road south of Prescott heading toward Skull Valley. 

Mike

Huh ? Iron Springs road is SOUTH  ? of Prescott ???    I`m going to have to get down there to Prescott sometime....

8 hours ago, GDM/PV said:

"What-in-the-world are you two talking about???"  

Did the forest service personnel actually see you in the burn area?  If he was a LEO , you would have been in trouble, really big trouble. Dont let the County Sheriffs catch you in there either. They are seeding the area with aircraft. After the 30th , it will not be open to the public. They are initiating a no tolerance policy to any off trail hiking, horseback riding , Prospecting ( yes prospecting of any kind is in the draftor any other activity that would require you to you leave your vehicle for any other reason than an emergency. The Unmaintained roads will be closed for no less that the germination period to full adult height ( four to seven years) of the native species of plants being seeded . Shrub Oak, Classic Oak, Manzanita, Seasoned Temptress, desert sage, native trumpet ,.. etc 

And Yes , The Forest service confirmed that  FS road 177, senator highway, and a couple other roads are indeed still closed to non -authorized traffic. the fore mentioned roads are not subject to re opening anytime soon,and law enforcement may impose those restrictions at any given time. 

Meaning, closed to everyone that is not a local resident. 

Edited by adam

49 minutes ago, adam said:

Huh ? Iron Springs road is SOUTH  ? of Prescott ???    I`m going to have to get down there to Prescott sometime....

Part of it is I think...... :idunno: Goes through Skull Valley and further to Kirkland right? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

Part of it is I think...... :idunno: Goes through Skull Valley and further to Kirkland right? 

Bill, I guess i`m just being to particular.  I suppose if you are looking at Prescott from the moon, then Iron Springs could be considered south. Then again, I think that North is Up  , so that makes my post South of yours  :4chsmu1:

35 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

Yes , it does. Once in Kirkland , Iron SPrings "T's": a right( westerly) takes you toward HIllside/Bagdad. Left, takes you  towards 89 along Kirkland vly rd. Mind the limit,

JOhn Law's about

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adam said:

Did the forest service personnel actually see you in the burn area?  If he was a LEO , you would have been in trouble, really big trouble. Dont let the County Sheriffs catch you in there either. They are seeding the area with aircraft. After the 30th , it will not be open to the public. They are initiating a no tolerance policy to any off trail hiking, horseback riding , Prospecting ( yes prospecting of any kind is in the draftor any other activity that would require you to you leave your vehicle for any other reason than an emergency. The Unmaintained roads will be closed for no less that the germination period to full adult height ( four to seven years) of the native species of plants being seeded . Shrub Oak, Classic Oak, Manzanita, Seasoned Temptress, desert sage, native trumpet ,.. etc 

And Yes , The Forest service confirmed that  FS road 177, senator highway, and a couple other roads are indeed still closed to non -authorized traffic. the fore mentioned roads are not subject to re opening anytime soon,and law enforcement may impose those restrictions at any given time. 

Meaning, closed to everyone that is not a local resident. 

I know your in the know...and well..................crap! :(
Tom H.

3 hours ago, adam said:

Prospecting ( yes prospecting of any kind is in the draftor any other activity that would require you to you leave your vehicle for any other reason than an emergency.  

Saving nuggets from flash floods sounds like a good reason for me to leave my vehicle. :brows:

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

Adam and Bill ... Yes Iron Spring Road ... aka Rte 10 ...does go south(southwest) of Prescott ... its about 30 miles start to finish ... starts in Prescott near the Shell station and goes to its end in Kirkland by the hotel and eatery ... name of which I can't remember ... where if heading south you turn right to go to Hillside and Bagdad or left to go to Rte 89 to Peoples Valley, Yarnell and Congress.

• Like 1

Adam ... No I did not encounter any FS or sheriff personnel ... I also did not enter the area ... I only drove to the barrier,stopped, read the notice and took the picture. The barrier is located about 1/2 mile down the beginning of the dirt section of Jefferson Rd oops sorry S.Jefferson St aka Forest Road 67 when it enters the Prescott National Forest in Mayer.

I had not seen the draft as of yet that was news to me ... I'm going to have to do a little more research as I hate the thought of losing that area for prospecting for 3-5 years or more!