Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bill Southern

Mike C. Falsing fix?

Bill Southern    1,093

Give it up Mike :ROFL: Seriously share the fix on the GM 1000, 5 inch coil falsing issue and I will also talk to Minelab OK? Going to try mine, but very interested in you input here.... 

• Like 2

Mike C...    308

Hi Bill Ive brought this up here and there but only the none no strings attached GM users were interested because they were having issues as well-and I didnt want to rain on any parades but since you asked and I know why-there is a problem with the wire coming out of the 5 inch coil falsing -Ii thought maybe it was just mine but its not- it seems that the wire coming out of the coil is being picked up with just the slightest of movement so I bent the wire down until it stopped falsing and secured it there as seen in my pic and most if not all falsing is gone-the coils shouldnt be like that and I hope minelab will make it right now that someone inside will get the message through :tisk-tisk:Thanks Bill-Mike C...:200: PS- I havent used the other coil yet so I dont know if it falses as wellRSCN0659.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

TomH    1,005

Same here...5 inch falses when you hit it and bend it where the cable goes into the coil  .Not good when your stabbing it under bushes.....did what Mike did over the last 3 days of using it at Mayer.    Kind of a pain as it goes to the non ferrous side and you think you have  good target. 

Other than that..............the thing rocks! :)

Tom H. 

Edited by TomH
  • Like 2

LukeJ    485

Hypothetically...   In an alternate universe...  When Minelab called and said...

"Hey Luke, do you have any ideas how we could redesign the 5" coil to help reduce false noises generated by movement of the strain relief?"

I'll just say...

That if the shaft mount was threaded on the opposite side.....

Then the 'bolt' could mount from the left.

Then the strain relief could be moved down, toward the back of the coil,  so it doesn't have to cross over the middle of the coil on it's way up the shaft....

...or something like that.

Luke

• Like 7

Bill Southern    1,093

Hi Mike and All, no issues from the large coil and it is the one I have been using and going to put the small one on this morning to check it out. Yes I will also talk to Minelab today about it as well and will let you know their response.

• Like 8

Bill Southern    1,093

OK I was indeed able to get some falsing from the wire near where it attaches to the coil, not excessive, but there just the same so taking Mike Cs lead I used Velcro instead of tape and same results now quiet. I also have spoken to Minelab about this and sent info from this thread and seems the key is securing the cable very well at the coil as Mike said. There is no issue with the 10 inch coil at all. Here is what I did,

IMG_20170808_070143_zpsqkbgnihh.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

SanDomingoJim    218

good job!   :thumbsupanim

• Like 2

Mike C...    308

Hi Bill I guess your coil is better than mine because I tried different positions even the one that fixed your problem-on my coil it wasnt just a slight falsing like experienced on most coils when bumped hard enough-if it was barely bumped it set the machine off loud like a target signal-thats fine and dandy if you dont touch anything while beeping which some have done to avoid the issue :idunno:-me I like to tic-tac the coil on the ground and push it into the bushes and between rocks and so all the falsing just doesnt work for me let alone my wife and what about the newbies which this machine was targeted for-total confusion for them Id guess:arrowheadsmiley:- so I had to do something to rectify the PROBLEM because we seen what kind of help MINELAB offered  and I know they were aware of the issue even before this because they do follow the forums-I really didnt want to make a big deal out of this butttt you brought it up  :4chsmu1: I think the GM is a kick A$$ little beeper other than that :head:  So Im done with this because I came up with a fix to band aid the existing problem that should have never been there in the first place :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200: PS-Bill thanks for trying at least :thumbsupanim

Edited by Mike C...
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I have been having the same problem except with both the 10" and 5" coils. If I just barely touch a stone or twig with the edge or bottom I get a hit, albeit it only is sporadic. Then when I go over it again without touching anything it goes silent. I do the dance to see if that helps to no avail, so I just go on and assume it is nothing, as it usually is. It's really frustrating :ROFL: because as you and Kevin have taught us "dig everything".

Now it seems I'm not alone with this phenomenon. I'll try the fix you've shown to see if that helps.

I'm going out tomorrow and we'll see what happens. :grr01:

Thanks for the info--------------------------------

Jim

Edited by North Pines Gold

Bill Southern    1,093

Still waiting to hear what Minelab has to say about it, after all just talked to them yesterday. But by making sure the cord is stable at the bottom has helped allot is seems for me and as I said will see what they say about it. This is a very sensitive detector to be sure and perhaps that is part of the reason it will hear the cord move.

Jim, I do not have any issues on the larger coil and if you are hearing a short one sided signal and gone when you go back over could it be the discrimination and ground balance working? If and when you get the coil above the ground more than a couple inches the GM 1000 will make a few noises as it reestablishes a GB and proper Sensitivity adjustment when in auto Sens. The coil must be in close proximity to the ground for it to remain stable and balanced and it will even be out for a few seconds after digging a target and going back to hunting.

Mike C. don't give up on Minelab getting back to me on this and I will know more after they do and after all they do not go to all the work to make a new and cool beeper just to blow us off when there may be an issue of some sort. Minelab is always good in that department and one of the many reasons I use their equipment almost exclusively. I am going to mess with it more, but like I said after securing the cord I saw very little issue even poking around in light brush. If it is a manufacturing issue with your coil itself making it excessively  unstable your dealer can likely get it replaced for you as I would try to do for any of my customers and even those that are not. So give it a couple days for me to see what is up from Minelab and perhaps call whomever you buy from and see if they can help also?

More to come soon....

Good hunting.

• Like 2

Mike C...    308

Hi Bill I appreciate what you have done :thumbsupanim and I might not like paying the over inflated prices for their products but lets face it minelab puts out some good stuff and I would never quit using their products-as of now I have 4 minelab beepers:head: -Lets wait and see what they have to say but until then Ive cured my problem with the issue but I wonder how many newbies dont know the difference :Just_Cuz_06: Mike C...:200:

• Like 4

Bill Southern    1,093

Well it helps that these things get discussed on the forums and solutions are most often found, this detector is very different from other VLF detectors you and I have used in the past and I like the rest of the folks that have one am learning as I go because with any new beeper there is a learning curve and for me with the GM 1000 it has been learning all the little bleeps and adjustments to take the best advantage of the Auto GB and Sens and I have it mostly figured out now. I will let ya all know what Minelab has to say soon.... 

• Like 2

mn90403    468

Mike,

You first posted that falsing fix around June 27, right?

Mitchel

Bill Southern    1,093

Update: Waiting on a response from Phil Beck.....

Mike C...    308
12 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Mike,

You first posted that falsing fix around June 27, right?

Mitchel

Yes  Somewhere in that time frame and Bill is the only one that's affiliated with minelab to say or do anything about it Thanks Bill :thumbsupanim Mike C...:200:

Edited by Mike C...
  • Like 3

homefire    1,543

Hair Brain again !

Emmm  

The GMT is tuned to 48Khz and runs the Vsat Coils for 50Hhz  with only slight performance  issues.

Yep!   My bet is it would work.   Let me know when one of you all  brakes one.  LOL,   I'll pay shipping and some. 

White's Goldmaster GMT..........48 kHz
White's Gold Master Vsat.........50 kHz

Minelab Gold Monster...............45Khz.

• Like 1

I see a problem with this "fix".. Even though it wouldn't/doesn't affect many GM1K users, from my POV it invalidates the adhering of cable-to-shaft in such a manner then wanting to call doing so a "permament repair / fix" or "this is the way it's supposed to be" -- or what ever, because if the falsing is a real or an actual issue it requires a real / actual fix in order to address what I'm about to mention..

The problem affects users who sometimes adjust their coils to a 90 degree angle.. With the lead taped / velcro'd as depicted a 90 degree adjustment can't be done..

Swamp

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Mike C... said:

Bill is the only one that's affiliated with minelab to say or do anything about it

So you reported your problem to Minelab and they have ignored you?

Mike C...    308

No I didn't report it to minelab only because I half ass fixed mine. Why didn't you step up to the plate I'n behalf of the others that were experiencing the same issues on your forum ? are you not affiliated with minelab ? I didn't even say anything to Bill he took it upon himself to help. Have a good day :cry2:Mike C...:200:

Ah.... we get to the root of the matter. No Mike, I am not your representative at Minelab. I am not responsible for reporting your problems for you. As far as what I communicate or do not, it is none of your business. Your passive/aggressive commentary had me wondering and now I know it has been aimed at me personally. I am not sure what your problem is, but I take it you have a dim view of me. Good enough. I won't trouble you further.

Mike C...    308

Steve I have no problem with you  I've always respected you as being non biased I simply asked you why you didn't do anything and now I knowThanks Steve 👋 Mike C...:200:

SanDomingoJim    218
2 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

:pop:

Dang it...now ya made me hungry for buttered popcorn.   :tisk-tisk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1