Nugget Shooter Forums
H-2 Charlie

stung by a crazy unknown bug

2 hours ago, H-2 Charlie said:

Wow, that's pretty bad from even a spider or scorpion bite/sting, I would be very interested to know what this critter actually is!!!

I wonder if this guy just had some kind of allergic reaction from the bite.

Thomas Jay said he was bit by something that looked like a "cross between a scorpion and a spider." 

image.png

Cross between a spider and a scorpion sounds like a "wind scorpion", what they cal camel spiders in the middle east, but I didn't think any of them were poisonous. They are common in all

desert areas, and we have them in Idaho, and Wyoming, and I assume Utah, and other northern states. They have really powerful jaws.

Jim

Wind scorpion.jpg

The guy didn't know for sure what bit him.  I am pretty sure wind scorpions don't bite.  I was sitting by the fire in my mom's back yard and kept feeling something moving on my arm about elbow height, in my long sleeve shirt.  I went inside and took off my shirt and shook it.  There was an audible thunk when that guy in the picture dropped to the floor.  It had plenty of time to bite me and never did.   Freaked me out at the time.  Sure glad it wasn't a scorpion.  I've been stung by a couple of those.  

I think you are talking about a vinegaroon.  They do bite as they have mandibles to kill their food with.  They are not poisonous but emit a vinegar odor when threatened.  Unless he was allergic to the emission from the Roon he wouldn't be harmed by that one.  Looks like many bites up and down that arm, ants can do a job on you also.  :89:

Old Tom     

6 hours ago, Andyy said:

The guy didn't know for sure what bit him.  I am pretty sure wind scorpions don't bite.  I was sitting by the fire in my mom's back yard and kept feeling something moving on my arm about elbow height, in my long sleeve shirt.  I went inside and took off my shirt and shook it.  There was an audible thunk when that guy in the picture dropped to the floor.  It had plenty of time to bite me and never did.   Freaked me out at the time.  Sure glad it wasn't a scorpion.  I've been stung by a couple of those.  

Andyy, just about anything with the ability to bite, will bite, given the right situation...you just got lucky. I did that once with a hobo spider in my pants leg. Heading to town for coffee and notice something moving around on my lower thigh. reached down and pinched the fabric and held it 'til I got to town. Got out, and shook my leg, and a big 'ol Hobo falls on the pavement, Really lucky. Wind scorpions have the most powerful jaws of any insect, from what I've read. Their jaws are the only weapon they possess to get fed.....LOL

Jim

Edited by Idaho Jim
  • Like 1

The guy must have had some kind of Reaction .  Been Zang by Scorpions a few times and other then a sick stomach  Beet Red sting site nothing like that.  Wind Spiders can bite but never had one bite me .  They always do that Ghost thing a Scamper.  Vinegaroons  never heard of anyone bit. 

Edited by homefire

1 hour ago, homefire said:

The guy must have had some kind of Reaction .  

Bingo... Everyone reacts differently to these bites. No doubt he had a very severe reaction. Some people can die from a single bee sting while others can be stung multiple times without much effect. 

I knew a guy who was a Hemophiliac that looked like that if he banged his knee or the like.