Nugget Shooter Forums

The only suspension on the one I had was the seat, and rear tire...LOL. But, man, they'll go anywhere.

Jim

DOH.  Sorry to get this thread off track, azdigger.  

In terms of research, I don't think anyone has all of the answers.  I am like you and trying to expand my knowledge as well.   Trying to read old articles.... better understand what gold ore looks like so that I can better recognize that I am looking at an old ore dump that was never processed or the junk rock that had nothing to do with the ore....etc...etc..  Talking with friends.  So many avenues to learn and such a long process.

One thing I do is to keep picking up Chris Ralph's book and re-reading it.  I know more now and more parts of it are making sense.  It pays to go back to these books.

• Like 5

Just another point or two on "boots on the ground field research":  Once I locate a pocket or a patch, then I look for another.  But this time I have some additional clues to go by (they differ from place to place).  For example, are there any similarities in the type or types of prevalent foliage; are there similarities in the surface texture; are there more of the same type of cans or small bore casings; if ironstones were present at the initial site, did they have any peculiarities (such as weathered quartz intrusions or distinguishing textures that might signal at a new place that they calved off a continuation of the same underlying iron lode) and finally, can I discern any "imaginary lines" that connect the patches and may extrapolate out into a more distant area...

After a few patches are located I begin watching for evidence of a much larger FIELD that extends way beyond the covey of little patches.  Finding a field is great news because of the almost unlimited (during my lifetime at least) possibilities it presents.  The ever present possibility of "lookie loos" means that night hunting may be preferred at certain times.  But I try to note and remember the color/type of any vehicle that hangs around.  They too may be attempting not to be noticed in unclaimed areas.  Sometimes prey becomes the predator...

Very old dig holes: The metal detectorists of 30 to 50 years ago left mostly shallow markings that still exist today in certain untrammeled sectors of the desert. Learn how to recognize them as they are a major clue as to what was going on way back then.  Modern PI detectors can punch way deeper than they could...

• Like 6

Yes sir.... Good info there I say.