Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

Big Shroom.

Recommended Posts

This is a large mushroom colony I found at work. I think it's a edible type,(not positive) but I left it alone. I've done mushroom hunting in a Belarus Forest just off the border of Russia. It was so much fun and the forest was amazing. I love mushrooms.

IMAG0195.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That appears to be a "Chicken of the woods" mushroom, which is edible and delicious, there are several different varieties, I think that one is called "Pale chicken of the woods"  but I'm no expert so get an expert's opinion before attempting to consume it.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Chicken of the woods

 That awesome in Belarus one of the favorite mushrooms to pick was called the "koritsa" mushroom, koritsa meaning chicken mushroom, it is tan with a dome cap not to be mistaken for the similar looking ones here in the states that are poisonous. The absolute most delicious mushroom I picked there was a mushroom called "lisichki" aka  "Chanterelle" mushroom they are absolutely packed with flavor and meaty, great for sauteing with onions and eating straight up. Not to be confused with the poisonous "false Chanterelle" mushroom which is a darker vivid orange that essentially crumbles when you touch it. Here is a very good picture of real "Chanterelle".

7127chanterelle_mushroom.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use to hunt shrooms when out fishing but you only have about two months here for any chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at Wolf Creek Campgound  last August and ate this one .........Lets just say , it was not  my best plan  :grr01:

IMG_9236.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha ha ...Yea , that was an Amanita  sp?  in my camp..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First pick is indeed Chicken of the Woods and they are very good eating, and Adam :tisk-tisk:Yours not so much.....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, adam said:

Lets just say , it was not  my best plan  :grr01:

LOL I can't believe you ate that. Well your alright not so that's good. A safety check for poisonous mushrooms it to break the suspect mushroom half way down the stalk and carefully press the fresh broken stalk end to your tongue and if a bitter tingly taste hits the taste buds then it is likely poisonous, I think part of that rule of thumb as well is to wait 30min to feel any I'll effects but I think the 30min rule mostly applies to the chew and spit method for foraging for other plant foods in survival situations. I'm not saying everyone should go out and try this in the back yard but in a survival situation this is the best way to determine if a mushroom is bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, homefire said:

about two months here for any chance.

I agree the windows tight but if you prepare you can pick a kings feast very quickly. Cape Cod attracts slot of pickers here during the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those thinking about preserving Shrooms they don't do well being Frozen.  Turn to Mush in a bag.  Ok for flavor in soups and not but worthless for any real eating.  Dry them (Any Type) like Jerky.  Done right will last well over a year just like Beef Jerky.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rocky said:

A safety check for poisonous mushrooms it to break the suspect mushroom half way down the stalk and carefully press the fresh broken stalk end to your tongue and if a bitter tingly taste hits the taste buds then it is likely poisonous, I think part of that rule of thumb as well is to wait 30min to feel any I'll effects but I think the 30min rule mostly applies to the chew and spit method for foraging for other plant foods in survival situations. I'm not saying everyone should go out and try this in the back yard but in a survival situation this is the best way to determine if a mushroom is bad.

Another step you can add prior to inserting into the mouth is to take that same sample you put on your thumb and rub it over your forearm, and if it makes a rash, avoid it.  If this does not produce a rash, then proceed to the bit on the tongue.  Tried a plant straight to placing it on the tongue that I was pretty sure was safe to eat, but when I did it, I felt my tongue swell up.  It was a small sample, and the swelling went away in a few minutes.  I did not eat anymore of the plant.  Really wished that I had not skipped the step about rubbing it on the skin.  The steps I was told for a survival situation:

1) See if animals are eating it

2) Rub on skin looking for a rash.

3) Small sample on tongue

4) Eat a small piece of it and wait 24 hours for side effects.

5) Cautiously eat a small serving.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MOST RELIABLE is a spore print!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

MOST RELIABLE is a spore print!

 

Good stuff seems like there a more videos as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL guys is this chicken of the woods the thing is a at least 20lbs monster!!!

IMAG0366.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it is.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AMAZING monster!!John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out these amazing shrooms I found today while hiking!!! I'm hoping they are edible(DO NOT EAT THESE MUSHROOMS)(NOT EDIBLE) growing directly on wood like this but need to do research. Do any of you know what this is?

IMAG1772.jpg

IMAG1774.jpg

IMAG1771~2.jpg

IMAG1773.jpg

IMAG1776.jpg

IMAG1775.jpg

Edited by Rocky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know, can't seem to find any like that doing a search, BUT I do know that there are as many or more BAD mushrooms that also grow on both live and dead wood as there are that are edible, so don't use that as a referrence for a mushroom being edible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Don't know, can't seem to find any like that doing a search, BUT I do know that there are as many or more BAD mushrooms that also grow on both live and dead wood as there are that are edible, so don't use that as a referrence for a mushroom being edible.

Yes so just to clarify these are not edible, my wife is familiar with them from where she grew up and says they are not!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are they 'Smokeable?  :ROFL:

   Old Tom

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old Tom I think your talking about Liberty bell shrooms. but they grow around cow poop not on wood. I see them all the time in spring and fall while hunting.and yes the they are toxic, in large quantities but then again so is salt. AzNuggetBob

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob, how do you know about this stuff?????  :4chsmu1:

  Old Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard that less than half the mushrooms out there have ever been tested. They ran out of testers. 

Also heard about a guy who's 1st wife died from eating poison mushrooms. Same with his 2nd wife. 
His 3rd wife died because she wouldn't eat her mushrooms. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×