Nugget Shooter Forums

Mike Austin    0

I live in Southern AZ and would like to discuss places to go Nugget Shooting with my Detector. Any feedback would be great appreciated!! Thank you!

Bill Southern    1,093

Are you a member of any clubs like GPAA, desert gold diggers, etc?

• Like 1

Andyy    459

Quartzsite ... Quartzsite ... Quartzsite.  

Too close to the Mexico border and you have to worry about illegals breaking in to your car.  There are signs warning of this.   To me, the gold is not worth that.  But the multiple placer areas of Quartzsite, should still do you well.

I guess I should have asked .. how far south you live?

Edited by Andyy

Ahorton10    153

Gpaa has claims in the greatervilleplacer area, also down around sierra vista, at least they did when I was a member years ago.

• Like 2

Desertpilot    89

Greaterville, Arivaca, Ruby, San Luis, Sieritta's.  Desert Gold Diggers is a good club to start with until you learn to find your own ground. Southern Az has some pretty cool gold, silver, and copper nuggets. I live 7mi from the border and it's not as bad as most people make it out to be. 

BTW what kind of detector are you swinging?

Tortuga    85

Yes stay away from the southern placer fields, especially if you have a GPZ, because the illegals are super dangerous down there. Not worth it, nope :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/13/2017 at 2:50 PM, Mike Austin said:

I live in Southern AZ and would like to discuss places to go Nugget Shooting with my Detector. Any feedback would be great appreciated!! Thank you!

On 7/13/2017 at 10:23 PM, Ahorton10 said:

Gpaa has claims in the greatervilleplacer area, also down around sierra vista, at least they did when I was a member years ago.

The one time we were to the GPAA claims S of Sierra Vista the Ash Canyon claim was easily accessable in the van.. Miller Canyon claim, not so much.. Would have given medium clearance 4WD an opportunity to collect some under-scars I'd say.. Eventually I found myself wishing I had a dry washer rather than detectors for the dry bed (Ash -- only eyeballed Miller claim since unable to park..)

I also zig-zagged & sorta detected partway up Ash Canyon SE slope, which did put me off-claim so why only kinda detected.. Not sure how much elevation I'd done, but started coming across trash -- mainly empty 2 liter & gallon water bottles, torn back packs, messed up shoes, a few torn up jackets / sweaters and snack wrappers.. Not too much further up I came across a path.. That's when I re-checked my gun and started working my way back down the slope..

Would have liked to been able to spend more time with the detectors along the highest on-claim areas, as there were some interesting looking rock/gravel patches.. Can't say any were outcroppings though..

Methinks someone such as Desertpilot is best suited to point a stick for you.. But since we don't know where you live or what/where exactly you mean by southern AZ, a bunch of other guys may be able to point sticks too if you're along the I-19 corridor rather than, say, McNeal.. For no valid reason I don't picture you further west..

Swamp 

• Like 3

Desertpilot    89
On 8/6/2017 at 10:04 PM, Tortuga said:

Yes stay away from the southern placer fields, especially if you have a GPZ, because the illegals are super dangerous down there. Not worth it, nope :D

I heard the Cartel has taken over the 50/50 land in Greaterville. The area is crawling with dope sniffers with AK's. I'd definitely stay north of I-10.:200: :ROFL:

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bill Southern    1,093

Hmmmmmmmm lol

Desertpilot    89
On 8/8/2017 at 1:02 PM, Swampstomper Al said:

I also zig-zagged & sorta detected partway up Ash Canyon SE slope, which did put me off-claim so why only kinda detected.. Not sure how much elevation I'd done, but started coming across trash -- mainly empty 2 liter & gallon water bottles, torn back packs, messed up shoes, a few torn up jackets / sweaters and snack wrappers.. Not too much further up I came across a path.. 

I hear ya Swamp,

Some people say the Miners and Off roaders are tearing up the Huachucas. But the truth the USFS doesn't want you to know it's the lazy hikers and birders that come from around the world to hike through the Huachuca's. They just hike up into the mountains and drop their trash and backpacks and carry on. Who would have guessed that hiking would have such an impact on the land? I mean who walks all the way up a 7000ft mountain range just to leave their shoes and a tooth brush behind? :idunno:

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Mike C...    308
On 8/6/2017 at 10:04 PM, Tortuga said:

Ya especially if you want to dig DEEP trash in rock hard ground :grr01: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

Desertpilot    89

H2 

Most of the Patagonias are claimed by the Siver Zinc exploration going on. There are historical placers down there (Harshaw, Patagonia, Mowry, Guajolote Flat, and Lochiel) Your best bet is to try on open ground west and south of Three R mine. I've found color in allot of washes in that area. 

DP

• Like 6