Nugget Shooter Forums
Rocky

meteorite mistake purchase.

Hi guys,

Glad to join this forum. My name is Steve and I've been a meteorite enthusiast now for over 10 years. I have a small collection but not a single iron yet because I love chondrites. (please don't make fun of me please))Anyways I've been looking for a introductory deal into a good size iron and I mean I looked deep for deals on eBay, well the person labeled it as a sikhote without the weight listed which I truly believed not to be a sikhote because it wasnt shrapnel, and it didn't look like a typical sikhote individual, but it was about the size of half a palm so I assumed for a 400 gram mislabled iron for $70 would be a steal. Anyway long story short it's 346gr attracts a magnet but It streaked RED on my file for a few swipes which leads me to think hematite. Before I filed it I thought at best it looked maybe like a canyon but now I don't think it's a meteorite, what do you think???

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

Rocky,

We've all,l made those mistakes.. It would still be interesting to find out what it is, but it has no visible characteristics of a meteorite. It could be worth a small amount of money for what it truly is. I actually have a collection of meteor-wrongs that I keep for classes that I teach.

billpeters

Bill, 

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I can't deny it's a pretty rock and would like to keep it for what it is but for $70 I'm going to try to return it and take it all as a good lesson. It streaked red like hematite so I think it's a hematite nodule that's been river or run off polished. I have a collection of other meteor-wrongs and minerals that I enjoy to have in my rock box and display cabinet. 

In General , Hematite is not magnetic. It can sometimes be slightly magnetic. Your rock really looks like a common Iron Stone, which is very magnetic, heavy, and can really sing on a metal detector. The streak would likely be red as well.

• Like 1

Magnetite actually has a grey/black streak and Hematite indeed will be brick red or brownish and not near as magnetic as Ironstone/Magnetite which is very magnetic.

I agree send it back.....