Nugget Shooter Forums
jjbond

No Skunky Monkey at Rye Patch

I think minelab just came out with an update for the 7000, on ground smoothing, and also a semi auto ground balance, it's called gpz 7000 software update 2, released Jul. 3, 2017

Edited by DolanDave
  • Like 2

On 7/3/2017 at 1:15 PM, DolanDave said:

I think minelab just came out with an update for the 7000, on ground smoothing, and also a semi auto ground balance, it's called gpz 7000 software update 2, released Jul. 3, 2017

What a co-ink-eeee-dink re update.

PS: Zed smoothed out a bit once I go off Rye Patch and went out to Imlay, Sawtooth and Unionville, RP ground is still wet a couple feet down. 

Took a little cuteee patooooteee out of Imlay Canyon yesterday, not big but at least it's Z gold And not GPX gold :brows: In fact it's Zeddys first true honest gold find, her finds before that were on a push in Gold Basin so don't count.

So two chunkee chunkees and a flatly flatty in three days ain't so bad I reckon, the point of the trip was an embedded in Z land boot camp to learn the machine so any AU is a bonus. 

I think going from a GPX to a Z is a huge impediment to learning the Z, your so engrained in what to expect. It's like recruiting a fresh out of school rookie officer instead of hiring a lateral applicant, new blood don't have pre conceived ideas or training you need to undo, I'd probably been better off going straight from no detector to Zeddie, than from the 5. She's starting to grow on me... she still rides in the back of the truck where she belongs and I always charge my 5000 first so she knows who the boss is but today's the first day I didn't think of tossing her into the river on the way home, so that's progress, isn't it? :idunno:

Jen

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

• Like 1

PS: Zed smoothed out a bit once I go off Rye Patch and went out to Imlay, Sawtooth and Unionville, RP ground is still wet a couple feet down. 

1 hour ago, jjbond said:

How is that road from Imlay to Sawtooth? 

55 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

How is that road from Imlay to Sawtooth? 

I went out north from 4 corners to Jungo, left and then left to sawtooth up and past the house, but two other prospectors who were out there as well took their trucks straight out lake road (I think it's called, that runs from Imlay to 4 corners) towards the end and parked out there and took their quads over the top 10 miles to Sawtooth. They said it was good but there was one spot that no pickup could do, steep up and down crevice only quads could handle. I turned right at four corners, they went straight. Taking the road from Imlay (town on I-80) out to 4 corners and up through Jungo like I went was great, road is perfect. I can't say the same for between the T at Jungo/road to 4 corners and Winnemmuca, they put fresh razor sharp crush on it recently and it cost me two trailer tires and they also laid down some chemical gravel combo road sealant that immediate coated the underside and front of my vehicles and froze like concrete... took an hour at the pressure washer in Win to try to get it off.. nasty stuff. 

Jen

IMG_2346.PNG

IMG_2321.MOV

IMG_2349.PNG

IMG_2350.PNG

Edited by jjbond

On 7/3/2017 at 1:15 PM, DolanDave said:

Maybe they saw my rant and figured it was ready to release :thumbsupanim

Jen - I have to agree with you.  I think it's easier for a newbie to learn the ZED.  I came from the GPX 5000 and had a somewhat difficult time myself.  Specifically, I had to somewhat forget what I knew about setting up a detector and how I think a detector should sound ... etc... etc.   

I expect you're going to grow very fond of the ZED when you learn the language.  And if salty ground was the cause of your previous troubles, the new software update should help.  Good luck to you.  I can't wait to see more of your finds.

• Like 1

I'm with Andyy.

The Zed has a smooth threshold on auto settings (turn it on and it works).  It sets up in difficult which IS a good place to start.  You don't have to change much.  Keep it simple.

I got mine and started reading everyone elses settings and tried to use the hot, the conservative, the normal, the whatevers ... after I listened to the ground feedback a bit and gave it a little more sensitivity at times I have found more gold and meteorites with it than my 5000.

I've even found a few RP nuggets with the 7000 which were not easy for me to find with all the soil timings of the 5000.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Yep all new technology is just that and switching to the newest detector can be a little frustrating until you get how "you" think it should work out of your head, seriously. The ZVT technology is very different in many ways and learning from scratch is the best, meaning read the whole manual and get training if you can from your dealer, if ya can't get training get a new dealer. I was not at all sure I was going to like the 7000 at first and like you found it to work much differently than my trusty 5000, but after several hours learning all the settings and how to make them work for me in my hunting areas I am convinced without a doubt it is far superior than any detector Minelab has offered us yet. 

This is a detector for those willing to learn all the functions and what they do and is "NOT" in any way a turn on and go detector for the most part.

• Like 1

I once washed off a deposit on my trailer similar to the one you pictured which was made of Mormon cricket guts - when the crickets are out in Nevada, they can be unbelievable - millions upon millions of them coating the ground for miles.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andyy said:

Jen - I have to agree with you.  I think it's easier for a newbie to learn the ZED.  I came from the GPX 5000 and had a somewhat difficult time myself.  Specifically, I had to somewhat forget what I knew about setting up a detector and how I think a detector should sound ... etc... etc.   

I expect you're going to grow very fond of the ZED when you learn the language.  And if salty ground was the cause of your previous troubles, the new software update should help.  Good luck to you.  I can't wait to see more of your finds.

Thank you kind Sir.

4 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

Yep all new technology is just that and switching to the newest detector can be a little frustrating until you get how "you" think it should work out of your head, seriously. The ZVT technology is very different in many ways and learning from scratch is the best, meaning read the whole manual and get training if you can from your dealer, if ya can't get training get a new dealer. I was not at all sure I was going to like the 7000 at first and like you found it to work much differently than my trusty 5000, but after several hours learning all the settings and how to make them work for me in my hunting areas I am convinced without a doubt it is far superior than any detector Minelab has offered us yet. 

This is a detector for those willing to learn all the functions and what they do and is "NOT" in any way a turn on and go detector for the most part.

"The ZVT technology is very different in many ways and learning from scratch is the best, meaning read the whole manual and get training if you can from your dealer, if ya can't get training get a new dealer.".........GEE WIZE BILL, When do I get to get my training??  Wasn't that part of the package??  Gary

Yes it is part of the package, all ya got to do is set up an appointment and come on down, pretty hot so early in the morning is best. I told you that was all ya had to do when you purchased it and we talked a bit about me coming up one day back then, but you did not call me and you have not contacted me to make the appointment yet to come down or did I miss something? I have also answered your PMs when I see them and you have not asked for a date and time to get with me. 

I am free on weekends this time of year if ya want to come down this weekend it would be fine and if we get out before the sun we have a couple good hours and that is all it takes. Not sure why you acting like you didn't get a lesson or I avoided doing it when all ya got to do is call my friend.... 623-910-0345

Also there is an update available if you need help installing it we can get that done too.

6 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

Yes it was, all ya got to do is set up an appointment and come on down, pretty hot so early in the morning is best. I told you that was all ya had to do when you purchased it and we talked a bit about me coming up one day back then, but you did not call me and you have not contacted me to make the appointment yet to come down or did I miss something? I have also answered your PMs when I see them and you have not asked to get with me. Right now making the drive up there is not doable as I have truck issues....

I am free on weekends this time of year if ya want to come down this weekend it would be fine and if we get out before the sun we have a couple good hours and that is all it takes. Not sure why you acting like you didn't get a lesson or I avoided doing it when all ya got to do is call my friend.... 623-910-0345

"Sorry" Bill, You are Right,  I have neglected calling you to set up an appointment, due to this "DAMNED HEAT" up here, and I'm sure down there as well.  It just frustrates me to no-end this time of year.  I have been trying to work around the heat with it up here, and am "slowly" working thru my learning-curve to the point of getting comfortable with the various settings and making adjustments based on the sound of the Threshold.  It may not seem like much of a step forward, but I have now gotten to where I am finding very small chunks of lead deep down in my pounded areas where my Minlab GP-3000 was not able to read them.  I have not as yet found my first nugget, but if it can pickup small lead chunks (as it is doing) down 6-8" down, it's just a matter of time before I get that coil over a nugget of that size or larger that "won't get away."  I am learning with this machine to "slow-down-A lot"; and listen-listen-listen for the faint signals.  So, most likely by the time this heat GETS THE HELL out of this state I'll be back finding nuggets with this new machine.   As for the training,....I was just trying to give you a hard time, --just-funn'n-about.  I would like for you to take me to one of your favorite patches down there though... "smirk" :4chsmu1:     Gary

Hahahahaha well ya got a bit of a rise out of me dang ya :arrowheadsmiley: and yes slooooooow is best with the 7000 and if you are starting to "hear" deeper you are getting things figured out and like you said just a matter of time. Trust me I felt the same learning this beast and at first was very intimidated by how different it was to set up properly. Next time you are out and get a small signal you know is deep don't dig, instead mess with your settings to try and be able to hear the target clearer or louder. In doing so you learn what different settings do to an actual target in the ground and you also learn what these same settings do individually as you monkey with them. This is the "Best" way to learn, on a target in the ground and you will be amazed at the ability of your 7000 to adjust to ground conditions good or bad. Well let me know when ya want to do a session as there is no time limit and cooler weather is not that far off now.

How about the upgrade, do it yet? It will help smooth out some of the bad ground we talked about I think.

Good hunting Gary.... 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

Hahahahaha well ya got a bit of a rise out of me dang ya :arrowheadsmiley: and yes slooooooow is best with the 7000 and if you are starting to "hear" deeper you are getting things figured out and like you said just a matter of time. Trust me I felt the same learning this beast and at first was very intimidated by how different it was to set up properly. Next time you are out and get a small signal you know is deep don't dig, instead mess with your settings to try and be able to hear the target clearer or louder. In doing so you learn what different settings do to an actual target in the ground and you also learn what these same settings do individually as you monkey with them. This is the "Best" way to learn, on a target in the ground and you will be amazed at the ability of your 7000 to adjust to ground conditions good or bad. Well let me know when ya want to do a session as there is no time limit and cooler weather is not that far off now.

How about the upgrade, do it yet? It will help smooth out some of the bad ground we talked about I think.

Good hunting Gary.... 

I'll have to try messing with the settings as you suggested on a deep target the next time I get a chance to get out. 

I haven't done the upgrade as yet, but have read all the information about it.  I'm not sure if I actually need to do it?????:idunno:  I am not having any of the issues that jjbond is having with hers.  I have taken my 7000 to at least 5 of my different spots (each in a different location), and each has varying degrees of mineralization (some pretty heavy).  And the Threshold has stayed constant and steady in each area.  I had it out this morning (started about 6am, and by 7:30 I was swimming in sweat and trying to fight off the biting fly's) near (about 50-yards) some high powered overhead power lines (towers) and was amazed at the fact that the EMI was pretty much eliminated--there was very little to-no affect on the Threshold.  The only time it got a bit noisy was when I switched Audio Smoothing from Low to Off.  When I have had my GP-3000 in that area in the past the wavery-noise had completely blanked out the Threshold on it, and drove me "Nuts" with all the noise.  Gary       

• Like 1

I would suggest doing it as there are other things the upgrade will do for you and if for some reason you are not happy it can be undone as well.....

On 7/1/2017 at 8:05 PM, TomH said:

Jen: Glad you got some gold out of that area :) I really like the top nug 

Tom H.

would be nicer if it didn't look like a little penis

Just cut off the part you don't like....  :4chsmu1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

Just cut off the part you don't like....  :4chsmu1:

If she did that we would have to change her last name from Bond to Bobbitt!! :th:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5