Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Morlock

Should He End The Hunt?

2 hours ago, Idaho Jim said:

My buddy and I spent many years flyfishing Yellowstone. We have a spot that clearly matches all the clues, but he's still working, and we just haven't made time to go look. The road is close, and many people go by there every year, so Fenn is right when he says many people have been close. One of these years, we'll go take a walk, and see if we're right.

Jim

Better get it before Jellystone blows! 1700 equakes /week

Evacuate everyone north of Kansas CIty, within 500 mile radius of Jellystone/everything east of same.. :pop:RElocation camp is at Morlock's  digs.

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 1

homefire    1,543

Going to make a fine fishing lake in a billion years or so.  Imagine all the gold locked up peculating in all those geysers  ?

I thot peculating was that thing body builders do where they make 'em dance up-n-down..? :89:

Swamp

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

I thot peculating was that thing body builders do where they make 'em dance up-n-down..? :89:

Swamp

:Just_Cuz_06:That's quite peculiar that thought was percolating in your head.

"Peculate" and "Embezle" are synonymous...( weaver postulated)

• Like 1

Idaho Jim    65
6 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

Better get it before Jellystone blows! 1700 equakes /week

Evacuate everyone north of Kansas CIty, within 500 mile radius of Jellystone/everything east of same.. :pop:RElocation camp is at Morlock's  digs.

I reckon Chris and I are toast...only 200 miles south....LOL. I'm not sweatin' it, I've had a great life. That earthquake activity is definitely interesting. if the ground bulges a couple of feet, I'd probably take a vacation, however. But, if it's really the eruption of a supervolcano, I imagine we're all in big trouble, regardless of location.

Jim

• Like 1

homefire    1,543

Eaaa I missed it by a "O"    Percilate, Percolate, Percalate ,Perculate ?  They all  are LATE !  Right ?

If JellyStone does sPooge we already have the sand for the New Inland Sea Beach. 

Edited by homefire
  • Like 2

Maybe it would set off the Long Valley CAldera  up by Mammoth Lakes in the SIerra.Just a pimple next to a big Jellystone BOil

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vhp/nvews.html.......................

"

Summary

Quick Facts

The 16 x 32 km (20 x 10 mi) Long Valley caldera east of the central Sierra Nevada Range formed as a result of the voluminous Bishop Tuff eruption (considered a "supereruption") about 760,000 years ago. Resurgent doming in the central part of the caldera occurred shortly afterwards. During early resurgent doming the caldera was filled with a large lake that left lake-shore traces (strandlines) on the caldera walls and the resurgent dome peninsula; the lake eventually drained through the Owens River Gorge.

Along the caldera's ring fault, Mammoth Knolls is the youngest eruption about 100,000 years ago. In the topographic basin, Cone 2652 in West Moat is about 33,000 years old and dacitechange in NW Moat is 40,000-27,000 years old. The mafic chain along the west rim is 16,000 to 17,000 years old. The caldera remains thermally active, with many hot springs and fumaroles, and has had significant deformation, seismicity, and other unrest in recent years. A robust geothermal system inside the caldera fuels the Casa Diablo power plant, which generates enough power for 40,000 homes. 

The late-Pleistocene to Holocene Mono-Inyo Craters, which cut the northwest topographic rim of the caldera, along with Mammoth Mountain, on the southwest topographic rim, are west of the structural caldera and are chemically and tectonically distinct from the Long Valley magmatic system. The most recent activity in the area was about 300 years ago in Mono Lake. Both Long Valley Caldera and Mammoth Mountain have experienced episodes of heightened unrest over the last few decades (earthquakes, ground uplift, and/or volcanic gas emissions). As a result, the USGS manages a dense array of field sensors providing the real-time data needed to track unrest and assess hazards.

Latitude: 37.7° N
Longitude: 118.87° W
Elevation: 2,600 (m) 8,530 (f)
Volcano type: caldera
Composition: basalt to rhyolite
Most recent eruption: 16,000-17,000 years ago
Nearby towns: Mammoth Lakes
Threat Potential: Very High *

Idaho Jim    65

Pretty interesting. As a kid, I vacationed at Mono Lake, and the eastern Sierras. I live about 60 miles east of Craters of the Moon National Monument. The lavas there are from the hotspot that is now under Yellowstone. The North American plate is rotating clockwise, so the hotspot appears to be moving Northeast, but actually the surface is moving SW above the hotspot. The last eruption at Craters was only 1,800 years ago. There are no active vents at Craters, however. No hotsprings, etc. I don't think there are any along the entire path the hotspot has carved in southern Idaho. I do think it's possible that a major event at Yellowstone could cause events in these old volcanos, however. looks Like I'd have to run south or east to escape...LOL.

Jim

Au Seeker    1,117

If Yellowstone POPS most all of this country will be in trouble with the ash fallout and possible eternal winter for a while.

2 hours ago, Idaho Jim said:

...only 200 miles south....

I  think at that distance, you'ld be ok as long as you could drive out after the shockwave hit ,and also had a supply of air filters, H2O, food, fuel to take you 1000 miles SW.

And , that's assuming it's any better  on the Left Coast.

All comm. would be down, except for "prepper" shortwave, some VHF, and "hardened" gov't agencies.

ER, nevermind, we're all toast, and MOrlock needs to move now, he'll be super toast in Idaho

AzNuggetBob    571
On 6/22/2017 at 6:26 AM, chrisski said:

IMHO, I believe lots of lost treasures have been found by people who don't report them.  I really think some of the old cowboy lost treasures were found years ago, but people still look for them thinking they're out there.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 3

chrisski    251

AZNuggetBob--Did you find the treasure and are you keeping it a secret?

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 2:24 PM, GeoJack said:

Yes, I did six trips from California to New Mexico, found the location but the gold wasn't there. I am still waiting for the gold.

It takes a very special map to put the poem to good use. 

On 6/21/2017 at 9:41 PM, chrisski said:

I'm under the opinion that the treasure was found by someone that did not report it.  I think by someone who is happy with anonymity, and maybe even avoiding taxes.

Alternative facts..
What do y'all think of this guy's "I found the location but too late too" spiel..?
Even though I forsee a couple dudes in white uniforms carrying a big butterfly net and a jacket with extra-long reinforced
sleeves sneaking up on him in the near future if he doesn't get back on his chill pills PDQ, wellll, that's another story.. In
the meantime though, there is this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ5fWkYb708   ( purposely displayed as a link rather than imbedded video  )

Reserving my thoughts until if / when there is any discussion..

Swamp

Au Seeker    1,117
7 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I can't see where the Fenn treasure is to blame for his death even if he did move to Colorado to look for it, seems to me it was because of the rafting accident and no other reason. hard to believe his "friends" didn't report him missing after the raft flipped!!

• Like 1

Who said?

"With everything that's going on these days, it seems like they're telling us not to go outside anymore because we might die of something. Hell, we're all going to get killed one way or another so we might as well enjoy ourselves doing it.😉"

• Like 1

homefire    1,543

Trust me Dying is over rated.   I died 05 05 16 and there was nothing to it.  I was Recalled .   Now that I know how it works the thoughts of doing it again aren't so bad.  Every day you wake up has the potential of being a Good Day.   Enjoy them.

• Like 2